walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lomond - The first Munro

Ben Lomond - The first Munro

Postby _Kerrinho_ » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:39 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 12/04/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 974m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Easter Sunday 08/04/12

We reached Rowardennan at about 10am. The weather was cloudy with drizzly rain, with the sun threatening to break through. Having just devoured a cream egg in keeping with usual Easter breakfast traditions, I was raring to go. This was to be my first official Munro, given that I have no evidence of mountain conquests achieved when I was younger.

Our four-man party quickly ascended the first couple of hundred metres through the sporadic woodland and moors that made up the majority of the lower slope, hindered only by a steep rocky section that required some minor scrambling.

We raced up a large section of the mountain with a shallow gradient, but our progress was unclear given that most of the summit was obscured by cloud. On more than one occasion we reached what we thought was the final ascent only for a new slope to emerge in front of us from the clouds.

As we entered deeper into the cloud the wind picked up and began to batter us. By the time we reached the steep final section it had become no less than a gale, completely obscuring any view we had of the loch.

After one final push we finally reached the wind and rain-swept summit. We met a group of gents who, judging by the shell suits they had worn for the occasion, were also from Glasgow. They kindly took our picture and offered us a can of the beverage they had been drinking on their way up. We politely declined.

Our descent started out as a brisk walk and quickly developed into a jog. Despite the worsening conditions, traffic on the slope was becoming increasingly busy as the day wore one. Our knees ached from the descent but the incentive of Easter Sunday dinner spurred us on, and five hours after our departure we arrived at the car park again.

As much as I can't wait for the next Munro, a return to Ben Lomond on a clearer day is a definite.

Rory
Attachments
104_0270.JPG
Cream Egg = instant energy!
104_0277.JPG
Summit of Ben Lomond
_Kerrinho_
Munro compleatist

Munros:107   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Ben Lomond - The first Munro

Postby DarrenJeffrey » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:04 pm

Congrats on your first Munro. I was up Ben Lomond a couple of weeks back in beautiful sunshine. Views are amazing
DarrenJeffrey
Munro compleatist

Munros:141   Corbetts:10
Fionas:8   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:20   

Postby quoman » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:11 pm

well done on your first munro keep clear of the beverage :lol: could be anything :lol: plus the views are magic when you get them.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby scotty72 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:34 pm

well done m8, been up there 3 times and seen nowt from summit, wont stop me from going up again, love that hill.
scotty72
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:6   

Postby SMRussell » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:55 pm

Congrats on that 1st "official Munro" :thumbup:

As for beverages, good idea to politely refuse on this occasion. I do, however, find a hip flask of whisky or brandy is a fine thing for toasting a summit and perks you up on those dreich days :D

Hope to see more reports and fingers crossed you get the views next time
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby Fudgie » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:31 pm

Well done on conquering your first Munro and it's good to see that you enjoyed it despite the lack of views at the top. I've done that hill three times and had a view once. I bet you're already planning your next one :D
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby ScottishLeaf » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:49 pm

Well done on your first Munro!
That was also my first one, we could see down the loch, but not up it.
Still spectacular :-)
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Postby Jockstar » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:09 pm

Well chosen for your first Munro but as you now know its a very popular walk :D Also you have found out about clagg and false summits so there was a learning experience as well :lol: :lol: :lol:
What is your next hill? :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby _Kerrinho_ » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:51 pm

Thanks everyone for the comments and encouragement :)

I have set my sights on Schiehallion for the next trip, inspired after enjoying a bottle of the namesake ale a few days ago. Hopefully the beginning of May will produce some better weather!

SMRussell, I like your idea of carrying a hip flask, will definitely try to remember one next time!
_Kerrinho_
Munro compleatist

Munros:107   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland