walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Esk Pike, Bowfell and others

Esk Pike, Bowfell and others

Postby MiniRambo » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:21 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Bowfell, Cold Pike, Crinkle Crags, Esk Pike, Pike o'Blisco, Rosset Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Bowfell, Cold Pike, Crinkle Crags (Long Top), Crinkle Crags South Top, Esk Pike, Pike of Blisco, Rossett Pike, Shelter Crags

Date walked: 13/04/2012

Time taken: 9.5

Distance: 20.3 km

Ascent: 1603m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Had a very enjoyable walk with John and Peter on a day of good weather (for once!).

In October, Peter and I climbed the Langdale Pikes, descending to Stake Pass and then over to Rossett Pike. We then descended via Rossett Gill and back to the car park at Dungeon Ghyll. It was a good outing, however the weather wasn't great and the clag prevented views of any worth.

In contrast, our outing on Friday was brilliant. The air was clear and distant views could be enjoyed.

We left the National Trust car park at the Old Dungeon Ghyll pub at 9.30am and headed up Mickleden. A few others were making their way too, but is was far from crowded. Good banter ensued and before we knew it we were beginning the ascent of Rossett Gill. Snow from earlier in the week was still evident on the upper slopes of Bow Fell and in the bright sunshine it looked a treat. When I reached the flat area above Angle Tarn, I decided to go the short distance to the summit of Rossett Pike and soak-in the views that had evaded me six months ago. What a picture, looking down Mickelden with the Langdale Pikes on my left and the Crinkle Crags and Pike of Blisco on my right. Views were also good down Langstrath and over to Glaramara.

P1000181 (640x480).jpg
At the National Trust car park at Old Dungeon Ghyll

P1000186 (640x480).jpg
At bottom of Rossett Gill

P1000191 (640x480).jpg
View back to Langdale

P1000194 (640x480).jpg
A distant Blencathra from Rossett Pike

P1000196 (640x480).jpg
At Angle Tarn with Esk Pike and Great End just in view

P1000198 (640x480).jpg
View down Langstrath

P1000201 (640x480).jpg
Langdale Pikes from Rossett Pike summit

P1000203 (640x480).jpg
The Great Slab on Bowfell from Rossett Pike

I headed back to John and Peter. Our next target was to drop down to Angle Tarn, cross the beck and head upwards and southwards to Ore Gap. It wasn't our intention to climb Esk Pike, but seeing that we were so close I asked the others if I could press on, leave my rucksack under their care and head up to Esk Pike. It was worth it. Again, good views to Great End (seemed to be close enough to touch) and just past it was Great Gable. I wasn't entirely sure which part of Esk Pike was the summit so just in case of misjudgement, I went to both tops. Headed back to Ore Gap and met up with Peter and John again who were having a fuel stop so quickly had a cup of coffee with them before starting the short climb to Bowfell.

P1000212 (640x480).jpg
Heading up to Ore Gap, view back to Rossett Pike and the Langdale Pikes

P1000222 (640x480).jpg
Distant view of Skiddaw and Derwentwater

P1000227 (640x480).jpg
Scafell Pike summit

P1000231 (640x480).jpg
Esk Pike summit

P1000234 (640x480).jpg
Scafell Pike and Scafell

P1000239 (640x480).jpg
Pillar

Since reaching Ore Gap we now had views south to Morecambe Bay and beyond. We could also see that the weather in this direction was deteriorating with cloud building and snow showers in evidence. This was in complete contrast to the views to the north which were of blue sky and 'cotton wool' cloud.

A few more walkers were on the hills now with half a dozen or so at the summit of Bowfell. It is one of those hills that, in my opinion, for such a big hill seems to hide itself away from prying eyes until you are upon it. Along with the Crinkles, it is a great place to take in extensive views of the Scafell range. A few flakes of snow fell at this point and the tops of Scafell and Scafell Pike disappeared into cloud.

P1000242 (640x480).jpg
Bowfell summit

P1000243 (640x480).jpg
Peter in classic hillwalking pose!!

We left the top and descended over boulders before joining the obvious path that takes you past the Great Slab, a wonderful smooth rock formation that you wouldn't want to walk across in anything other than dry conditions. From here we descended to the Three Tarns and then it was time to negotiate the Crinkle Crags.

P1000245 (640x480).jpg
The Great Slab up close

It is an enjoyable walk over and around this mini range of tops. I say 'over and around' as as we descended the last top, we were unable to reach the bottom of the Bad Step due to erosion so had to back track a few hundred meters and then take a relativley new path to the south and rejoin the main path again.

P1000248 (640x480).jpg
View back to Bowfell from the Crinkles

P1000255 (640x480).jpg
Crinkle Crags top

P1000257 (640x480).jpg
Dropping down to the Bad Step

P1000260 (640x480).jpg
Close up of the Bad Step

The next hill in my sights was Cold Pike. Again, Peter and John agreed to walk on the main path that bypasses Cold Pike and heads towards Red Tarn and Pike of Blisco. I left my rucksack with them (a bit lighter now that I had eaten lunch!) and headed across open ground before climbing a short and steep section to the summit. It also has two tops, so visited them both. The Coniston hills seemed to be nearby to the south. I left the summit heading north west to rejoing Peter and John near to the outlet beck from Red Tarn.

P1000263 (640x480).jpg
Cold Pike summit looking towards the Coniston hills

P1000267 (640x480).jpg
Pike of Blisco from Cold Pike

My legs were beginning to feel tired by now and it seemed hard work to make it to the top of Pike of Blisco. But it was worth it as the Langdale Pikes were bathed in late afternoon sun. The summit is almost 'Tor' like and again, has two tops. We missed the path away from the summit and after a little meander regained it before making the steep ascent od Redacre Gill. We joined the road which comes over from Little Langdale and walked the mile or so back to the car.

P1000272 (640x480).jpg
The Coniston hills from Pike of Blisco

P1000273 (640x480).jpg
Final view of the Langdale Pikes on way back to the car

Had a fantastic day in good company and beautiful surroundings.
Last edited by MiniRambo on Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MiniRambo
Mountain Walker

Munros:52   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Esk Pike, Bowfell and others

Postby ciderpeter » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:40 pm

Brilliant report and pictures - and route choice! Rossett Ghyll is a killer isnt it?!

I did a similar walk yesterday but the other side of the valley, I will write it up when I shake this cold and flu that has kept me bed ridden all day... :(
ciderpeter
Munro compleatist

Munros:32   
Hewitts:110

Postby ChrisW » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:25 am

Stunning stuff MR, a good long round too in great conditions, what more could a man want :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:29 am

Great pics and a really good report. It's no wonder you were feeling tired on the way up Blisco that's a canny big round.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby JGKES » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:15 pm

Some wonderful pictures and very enjoyable report. Hope I get weather as good this up-coming weekend based in Braithwaite but the forecast looks a teeth-gritter.
JGKES
Mountaineer

Munros:51   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Hewitts:140

Postby garyhortop » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:52 pm

Quite a hike!! Enjoyed the report and you caught some really good pictures there!! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby MiniRambo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:59 pm

Thanks for your kind comments.

CP - Indeed Rossett Gill is a killer. Having said that, I wouldn't have liked to walk back up our descent route off Pike of Blisco either.

CW - Conditions were great - I normally get clag so really did appreciate the clear air this time.

JK - I was tiring. However, I did the 40 mile Keswick to Barrow walk a couple of years ago and could hardly walk the five yards from car to house when I got home!

JGKES - Fingers crossed with the weather this weekend. Braithwaite is a great place to be based.

GH - Just got new compact camera and I am pleased with the results.

Here's to more of the same in the near future. Cheers.
MiniRambo
Mountain Walker

Postby simon-b » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:33 pm

A fine round over some familiar peaks, and it's good you got ideal weather.

Aren't you the team I encountered yesterday (Sunday) between Stake Pass and High Raise (you were coming up the pathless bit while I was descending)? If you were, hello again!

MR, you're not the only to pay a fleeting visit to Cold Pike while companions have given it a miss.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby MiniRambo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:36 pm

Hi Simon, sorry it must have been 3 other handsome chaps you met on Sunday - we were probably still recovering. :)
MiniRambo
Mountain Walker

Postby simon-b » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:50 pm

MiniRambo wrote:Hi Simon, sorry it must have been 3 other handsome chaps you met on Sunday - we were probably still recovering. :)

OK, sorry for the mistake. Hello to them if they're reading!
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland