walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

High Five

High Five

Postby Fudgie » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:57 pm

Route description: Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas

Munros included on this walk: An Stùc, Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers, Meall Garbh (Ben Lawers), Meall Greigh

Date walked: 12/04/2012

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 21 km

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a 2 month hiatus from the hills I took advantage of the good weather and some time off work and headed for the Lawers range. I had originally planned to do Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers but as I sat at the top of the latter, it was as if An Stuc was calling my name and I decided to make it a trio.

I felt quite good at this point and without realising it, I was on the dicey descent from An Stuc headed for Meall Garbh. I was at the top before I knew it and the great weather I had enjoyed upto this point was being threatened by the hailstones that looked to be headed my way. I was on my way to Meall Greigh and what looked like the easiest ascent of the lot became a struggle as I started to tire.

I made it eventually and sat against the cairn whilst the hailstones whizzed past. I told myself that the hardest part of the day was over but when the track that runs around the bottom of Ghlas & Lawers ran out and I was back to open hillside, I really found the going tough. I realised that I had made it hard for myself by missing a faint track and after much forcing myself on, I arrived back at the car park 9 hours after I had left it.

I've kept my report short tonight as I'm exhausted but despite finding the going tough at points, I was lucky to have 5 cloud free summits and I was treated to some wonderful scenery. It'll be a while before I go on another walk like that though.

These pictures are a mixture of camera and phone. There's one I took of myself at the summit of Meall Greigh but I don't look at my finest :D

Beinn Ghlas from the car park.

Approaching the summit of Beinn Ghlas.

Ben Lawers from the summit of Beinn Ghlas.

Beinng Ghlas and Meall Corranaich from Ben Lawers

Me on the summit of Ben Lawers.

Looking back up at Ben Lawers.

Looking at Ben Lawers, Beinn Ghlas & Meall Corranaich from An Stuc.

Meall Garbh & Meall Greig from An Stuc.

Ben Lawers, An Stuc & Meall Garbh from the summit of Meall Greigh.

Salvation!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Re: High Five

Postby Alan S » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:38 pm

Cracking pics fudgie, Thanks for sharing :D
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby Fudgie » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:00 am

Cheers Alan. I don't feel as bad today as I thought I would.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Postby SMRussell » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:45 am

Nice one - well done on getting them done and sum stunning photos :clap:
I really enjoyed these hills - we also experienced the hail. We were attacked by it on BG - large clumps moving at 45-50mph I believe - yowzers!
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby Fudgie » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:52 am

SMRussell wrote:Nice one - well done on getting them done and sum stunning photos :clap:
I really enjoyed these hills - we also experienced the hail. We were attacked by it on BG - large clumps moving at 45-50mph I believe - yowzers!

Cheers. About 15 minutes after I left the summit of Meall Greigh it was covered in cloud, along with the others, so I timed it just right. I doubt I would have done all 5 if they were in the clag. I think I was the only daftie doing all 5 yesterday :D
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Postby quoman » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:13 pm

Well done Fudgie
That's a big round you done once your up Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers the rest doesn't look to far but its a fair hike. :clap:
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Jockstar » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:17 pm

Well done on bagging these five. :D Also well done on getting down An Stuc as that can be very tricky in winter :)
What next - the Glen Lyon four? :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Fudgie » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:32 pm

quoman wrote:Well done Fudgie
That's a big round you done once your up Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers the rest doesn't look to far but its a fair hike. :clap:

Thanks very much. The next two didn't look too far but the descent from Meall Garbh went on forever. I thought the ascent to Meall Greigh would be the easiest but I found it very tough as I was tiring.

Jockstar wrote:Well done on bagging these five. Also well done on getting down An Stuc as that can be very tricky in winter
What next - the Glen Lyon four?

Cheers. It was a hairy descent and the next time I'm back there I'll head up that way. I think I'll take it easy for my next outing so four might be a bit too much :D It'll be hard to do a single after that though :lol:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Postby ChrisW » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:41 pm

Great effort Fudgie, I know what those days feel like when you are pushing yourself every step of the last few miles.....feels absolutely great :shock:.........after a few days rest :lol: fantastic photos throughout :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Fudgie » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:47 pm

ChrisW wrote:Great effort Fudgie, I know what those days feel like when you are pushing yourself every step of the last few miles.....feels absolutely great :shock:.........after a few days rest :lol: fantastic photos throughout :D

Thanks Chris. I'm proud of myself after that.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Postby skuk007 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:47 pm

Nice report Fudgie, hoping to do this set of hills this summer.
Great pics so can't wait now. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby tambrown » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:30 pm

Done the same walk today, all was good with the hills, some snow and An Stuc descent was a challange. We had the same problem, after the Landrover track veers right and runs out, we crossed at the dam and went nowhere. After a tiring day climbing over the hills again was not good. A good walk though but next time will be heading down to the Lawers hotel instead of walking back.
tambrown
Munro compleatist

Munros:20   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Fudgie » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:02 am

skuk007 wrote:Nice report Fudgie, hoping to do this set of hills this summer.
Great pics so can't wait now. :)

If you get a good day for it then it's a very enjoyable circuit although I wasn't saying that for the last few miles. :D

tambrown wrote:Done the same walk today, all was good with the hills, some snow and An Stuc descent was a challange. We had the same problem, after the Landrover track veers right and runs out, we crossed at the dam and went nowhere. After a tiring day climbing over the hills again was not good. A good walk though but next time will be heading down to the Lawers hotel instead of walking back.

With hindsight once I reached the dam I should have dropped down a bit to a stone wall as when I did this further on there was a very faint track which was easier to walk on.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland