walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The tortoise and the hare, from daer to away over there!

The tortoise and the hare, from daer to away over there!

Postby meangarry » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:22 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Ballencleuch Law, Queensberry

Donalds included on this walk: Ballencleuch Law, Earncraig Hill, Gana Hill, Queensberry, Scaw'd Law, Wedder Law

Date walked: 16/04/2012

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 23 km

Ascent: 1090m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This walk is another linear thanks to a lift from mum and dad! On this walk my walking buddy Colin was also along for the long slog. The plan was to kill 6 birds with one stone. The birds in question were Donalds although plenty of grouse were also to be heard chuckling away at me and Colin marching over the rough ground. The Donalds started with Ballencleuch Law and were to end with Queensberry, stringing together a chain of Scaw'd law, Wedder Law, Gana Hill and Earncraig Hill in between. A challenging route to say the least. We were only fortunate to see quad tracks in a few places and most of the going was tough rough peaty ground. Both myself and Colin took turns throughout the day swapping roles of moaning about the next ascent with encouragement. On a long grey kind of day it's a struggle at times!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Anyways, to the photo/walk report.
First hill of the day was Roger Law and although it's adorned with a trig and allows good views of 'the radar' (green lowther) it falls under the shadow of Ballencleuch Law only one metre higher but apparently the same hill. Hmm. Strange one. Clearly Colin didn't mind but I look slightly vexed by it!
013 (800x600).jpg
Roger Law trig and a squint photo!
004 (800x600).jpg
Daer from Roger Law

The view back to Daer was nice as we set off for Ballencleuch Law. After Ballencleuch the next target was Scaw'd Law. The Double summits of 663m each were an interesting feature. After descending Scaw'd Law we got our only bit of track to walk on and we followed it past a shooting parties hut up onto Wedder Law.
016 (800x600).jpg
Colin in the hut. Minging inside eh?

After reaching Wedder Law we stopped halfway down for lunch. Unfortunately it started to rain hail stones so lunch was far from enjoyable! After scoffing our faces we headed for Gana Hill and alon the way we seen about ten mountain hare still in thier winter coats.
025 (800x599).jpg
Two mountain hare.

I managed to snap a few but they were too fast for my light camera. No way was I lugging my slr 23km! As Colin and I plodded along I wondered what the hares though of us, trudging through the heath as they bound away and looked back. The top of Gana hill was reached and the views were fairly good too, The solway to the south and a glimpse of daer to the north.
028 (800x600).jpg
Gana and Daer

The next segment of our walk looked brutal. Colin who is less of a bagger and more of a wanderer wondered why we were going up Earncraig Hill as it looked rather steep. I said we had to do it as it was the route. :shifty: Colin wasn't too happy but I convinced him to give it a bash.
030 (800x600).jpg
Earncraig, Penbreck and Queensberry.

It was steep, Colin was really not happy! :lol:
032 (800x600).jpg
Colin zigzagging up Earncraig.

We made it to the top but our friendship was at an all time low, we all have occasional shouting matches in the hills but this time it was different! :evil:
I had enough. Unfortunately for Colin there happened to be an old broad sword on the hill...
034 (800x600).jpg
Grr!

037 (800x600).jpg
Here lies Colin, he's deed.

Regretting the deed immediatley and now alone I walked on towards Queensberry. The ascent was tough but without Colin it was murder. :shock:
Hold on who's that at the summit???
046 (800x600).jpg
The King is dead, long live the Queensberry?

It was Colin, yay, I was only kidding you on! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Queensberry was fantastic, a large cairn and a rocky summit, plenty hares about too.
049 (800x600).jpg
Me on Queensberry

The descent was to be towards Kinnelhead Farm. It was long, boggy and sore on the weary legs. The less said the better.
Anyways even though it was a long ardous journey today, with a few ups and downs, in the end no matter how long it takes at the time its always worth the struggle when you look back on a great days walking! :D
Ramble on!
:thumbup:
meangarry

Munros:29   Corbetts:19
Fionas:15   Donalds:60
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:23   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland