walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

6th & 7th Munros- Ben Nevis inc Carn Mor Dearg

6th & 7th Munros- Ben Nevis inc Carn Mor Dearg

Postby DJG78 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:13 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Càrn Mòr Dearg Arête

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis, Càrn Mòr Dearg

Date walked: 21/10/2009

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 11 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was without doubt is the best hike i have done so far. Describing it as an Epic ridge walk dosent do it justice. I have been through every kind of test and emotion than i thought possible. From excited to scared to frustrated to elated to amazed all in 6.5hrs! Loved the ridge walk. Shame about the cloud though, couldnt see much. Wish my knees enjoyed it as much as me. Giving me grief as i type. Climbed the highest mountain in the uk and bagged another munro at the same time. What a day!
Attachments
Image023.jpg
Big Ben Nevis in the distance
Image021.jpg
Heading home. Hello Fort William
Image017.jpg
The Shelter
Image016.jpg
The Trig
Image010.jpg
Amazing north face with its cloud cap
Image009.jpg
First sight of the FACE!
Image005.jpg
1/4 way up looking back
Last edited by DJG78 on Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
DJG78
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Re: 6th & 7th Munroes- Ben Nevis inc Carn Mor Dearg

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:17 pm

Great stuff Dan - it's a fantastic day isn't it! Big outing to have done early in your Munro-bagging too - is that your total time?

Were there zillions of people on top of the Ben - or is it getting quieter now?
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby DJG78 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:30 pm

Hi Paul. My exact time was 6hrs 37mins. A couple I passed, on the way up on the initial part of the mountain track, did the tourist route/mountian track and i overtook them on the way down. They stopped me to ask where i had been as they saw me overtake them on the way up then vanish. They were surprised i did it so quickly and i think a little bit disbeliving when i told them my route. I really surpirsed myself to be honset i thought it would have taken longer. I was by myself though and very keen to make the summit as always. Probably wouldnt have made it so quickly if it wasnt so cloudy. I feel its pointless hanging about when you cant see anything. Loving the site by the way. I always wanted to start hiking properly in Scotland but was never sure where to start until i found your site. I am hoping to do Meall Chaich tomorrow if the rain holds off and my knees arnt too sore as its on my way home. That will be 6 Munroes since Tuesday. I wish i could do one every week but this will be my last until March now i think. Cant wait to come back for more!
DJG78
Mountain Walker

Postby DJG78 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:37 pm

Sorry Paul I forgot to add........ yes theyre ware a few souls wandering about at the top. I was pleased to see them as i didnt meet any one else after i left the mountian track and was beginning to think i was lost!! About 6 diffent groups of people asked me how far it was to the top on my way down looking exhausted. lol. One bloke was in a jumper, jeans and trainers with no rucksack or coat looking like he was about to die. If you read this mate i hope you made it down ok.
DJG78
Mountain Walker

Postby Alan S » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:45 pm

Hi Dan
sorry to ask this on your post but why do some walkers call them "munroes" and most others "munros" ive been meaning to ask for a while, i tried to google it and it didnt really give me an answer.
Sorry if im the only one who doesnt know this :oops:
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby DJG78 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:10 pm

Hi Alan. its probably because A: Im only half Scottish, B i cant type properly and C: one of mates is called Munroe! I will remember to ditch the "E" next time as i believe the correct spelling is Munro.
DJG78
Mountain Walker

Re: 6th & 7th Munros- Ben Nevis inc Carn Mor Dearg

Postby Alan S » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:35 pm

Thanks Dan

Sorry i wasnt meaning to point out a mistake its just that there are others on here that spell it like that
and i was wondrering why :)

Look forward to more reports 8)
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland