walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ring of Steall? I'd say it's a basic requirement!

Ring of Steall? I'd say it's a basic requirement!

Postby Graeme D » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:02 pm

Route description: The Ring of Steall, Mamores

Munros included on this walk: Am Bodach, An Gearanach, Sgùrr a' Mhàim, Stob Coire a' Chàirn

Date walked: 13/04/2012

Time taken: 8.1 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1643m

17 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A text message mentioning the Ring of Steall sent to Kev a few days after getting back home from the Kintail meet was all it took to persuade him to take a day off work and join me in the Mamores. With Daz already on holiday for the week and in full Munro mode, his hand was also swiftly declared and his hat thrown into the ring, if you'll pardon the pun.

As planned hill days go, the Ring of Steall has a wee bit of previous history and form as far as we are concerned, having had it scheduled a few times before only to see it fall through late in the day. As recently as the end of February, we pulled the plug at the last minute due to dire meteorological predictions. And last May, in the middle of Kev's epic, sodden, valiant but utlimately doomed attempt to knock off 50 Munros in the space of one week in the name of charity, I got as far as meeting him early one morning in the car park in Glen Nevis in conditions so foul that we could barely see each other let alone hope to have any views from the tops. On that occasion we very wisely decided to abandon ship and retreat to the Wee Bookil where conditions were no less atrocious but at least it was a shorter outing and one that we felt would constitute a lesser crime against hillwalking than undertaking the Ring of Steall in such conditions.

So here we were again. The form book was, as I have said, not promising. And our proposed date had an altogether ominous feel to it as well - Friday the 13th. Was it another bad omen, or would the Mountain Gods finally smile upon us and grant us a decent weather window???

As Kev has already said in his previously posted excellent account of the day, the Ring of Steall is one of the great iconic ridge walks in Scotland. The very name is so mysterious and evocative. To some it may bring about a wee frisson of excitement, to some a nervous shudder of anticipation, into others it may strike the very fear of God! Maybe even all three.

It was also my first ascent of any of the Mamores peaks, that stubborn mass of red dots on my Munro map between Ben Nevis and the Aonach Eagach having niggled away at me psychologically for some time now. The Easter holiday fortnight had kicked off in Kintail with a brilliant day on another iconic ridge walk, The Five Sisters, and now it was going to draw to a close in similar fashion on the Ring of Steall. And it would be the first time in almost 18 months, since a particularly memorable Duinish Bothy weekend, that myself, Kev and Darren had walked together.

All day on Thursday I was like a 10 year old on Christmas Eve. The alarm went off at 3.50 on Friday morning and I stealthily crept downstairs praying that Ailsa wouldn't wake up. My life wouldn't be worth living if she did. Fortunately luck was on my side - first major obstacle of the day successfully negotiated. A quick cup of coffee, pink iced doughnut (I'll say this much for middle of the night departures to the hills - they do not encourage healthy breakfasting habits) and filling of a flask with some magic juice and I was pulling out of the drive by 4.15.

I'm sure the up and across method (A9 to Dalwhinnie then A86 through Spean Bridge) is the quickest, easiest and most fuel efficient way of getting from Perth to An Gearasdan, but this morning I opted instead for the across and up method (A85 through Crieff, Crianlarich, Glencoe e.t.c.) as I hoped to get that magical feeling of driving past Bridge of Orchy and Loch Tulla in the early morning and then up onto Rannoch Moor before the Big Herdsman of Etive looms into full view at the gates of Glencoe and you begin to hurtle down the other side towards the big coat hanger at Ballachulish.

It was still pitch dark as I left Perth (yet light enough to see the young lady tottering along the pavement in nothing more than high heeled ankle boots, hot pants and a boob tube - oh, and according to the car, things were hovering just above freezing!) Scotland eh! Wha's like us? Well, the Dutch, apparently, but that's another story....... :lol:

I got my wish over Rannoch Moor and even the usually painful drive from Ballachulish along Loch Linnhe into the Fort was pain free this fine morning. Friday the 13th it may be, but the omens were all good so far and the weather was looking fine.

I pulled into the car park at just after 6.30. No sign yet of either Kev or Daz so another pink doughnut was seen off and I took a wee wander down to the bridge to stretch my legs while I waited. They both turned up a few seconds apart just after 7 and quickly got their gear into my car for the short drive along to the end of the road. Kev was definitely only up for the Ring of Steall, Daz (being a mountain machine and general madman) was very keen to tag on Stob Ban and Mullach nan Coirean (which he did), and I was in two minds about tagging these two on, depending on how reserves of both time and stamina held up. They didn't - so I didn't.

Once across the Steall flats, the next two major obstacles had to be faced in quick succession - the wire bridge, restored to full working order after an alleged altercation with the hill walking branch of the Oranje's answer to the Tartan Army, and the crossing of the Steall Falls themselves. The first of these was dealt with professionally first by Kev, then myself and finally by Daz. No dunkings there then. Onto the crossing at the foot of the falls with recollections of having read a previous report where this very crossing descended into farce and chaos amidst dunkings all round and various items of kit being washed away in the torrent, never to be seen again. This morning it was tame by comparison but still required a bit of care and respect nonetheless. Then came the football pitch sized bog - as Kev noted, it seemed that the actual Ring of Steall itself would be a piece of cake compared to all this lot!

Suffice to say, the Ring of Steall is no piece of cake, at least not in winter conditions such as the ones we got for it, albeit not full blown winter conditions. An iconic ridge walk - most definitely. Fearsome? For the most part, not really. I have done Liathach's Am Fasarinen ridge, Beinn Alligin's Horns, the Aonach Eagach and Crib Goch on the Snowdon Horseshoe. They are all far more "full on" than the Ring of Steall. But there were two moments worthy of mention in the squeeky bum stakes, the second of which probably tops them all for me.

The first one came between the first Munro of An Gearanach and the Top of An Garbhanach. It was at this point that I did actually deploy the "up and across method". In hindsight though, this was barely actually worth the mention. The second one came on the Devil's Ridge between the demoted Munro of Sgurr an Iubhair and Sgurr a' Mhaim. ("What's the story with this Devil's Ridge?" Darren had earlier asked. "It's bark's worse than it's bite I think" had been my reply). Well, we had just embarked on the ridge and my assessment of it seemed to be a fair one when we stopped to let two guys who had been steadily catching us up for most of the day get past. No sooner had they passed us than Kev (who was leading at this point) hollered back - something along the lines of "Check out this bad boy!" to use a Darren-ism. We bunched up in time to see the second of the two guys making a bit of a meal of things, but to be fair, it didn't look like no piece of cake! While Darren and I stood transfixed, Kev disappeared. Had he fallen off the ridge? No, he appeared to have floated across the "bad step". Our turn. Darren next, me bringing up the rear. Now, if you have read Kev's report, this was his "WTF moment" photo. At the very moment that photo was snapped, my feet were sliding into oblivion, my right knee was being grazed against the rock and my hands were slowly slipping from their hold above me. And lots of colourful, industrial language was being used. :o

I'll let a selection of the 3.4 million or so photos I took on the day do the storytelling from now on!

Kev, ça t’a coupé le souffle? Moi aussi! Mais ça m’a coupé les jambes aussi! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Leaving the main path to cut cross the Steall flats towards the wire bridge

Beginning the crossing

Man on Wire

Beyond the point of no return

Almost safe

Darren crossing under the falls

Back down across Steall flats from the start of the ascent

Height is quickly gained on the excellent path

Distant Grey Corries to the left, Binnein Beag to the right

Darren looking to Binnein Mor

The Devil's Ridge and Sgurr a'Mhaim from the ascent of The Complainer

Darren approaching An Gearanach summit

An Gearanach summit

An Gearanach summit with the Ben and CMD arête beyond

Onto the connecting ridge to An Garbhanach

Back to the almost perfect symmetry of An Gearanach

Across Coire a' Mhail to Am Bodach and Sgurr an Iubhair with Beinn a'Bheithir beyond

Darren adopting the "crab" method as he scrambles across the first Bad Step

On the ascent of Stob Coire a' Chairn looking back to An Garbhanach and An Gearanach

Daz and Kev at summit of Stob Coire a' Chairn

Darren phones out for a deep pan pepperoni with extra hot spicy sauce

An Gearanach from Stob Coire a' Chairn summit with the Ben and Aonachs beyond

Onwards to the Old Man

Na Gruagaichean - greetings fair maidens!

The Ben and CMD arête down Coire a' Mhail from just below the summit of Am Bodach

Towards the connecting ridge with Sgurr an Iubhair

At the summit of Am Bodach - Darren chasing up the pizza order with Blackwater Reservoir in the background

South west from Am Bodach summit to Beinn a' Bheithir - Lochs Leven and Linnhe both visible

Back whence we came from Am Bodach summit

Leaving the Old Man behind

Sgurr a'Mhaim with the Ben and CMD arête beyond

Back to Am Bodach

Approaching the Demoted One

On Sgurr an Iubhair - Kev thinks he can see the pizza delivery guy!

Darren does a bit of forward route planning for Stob Ban and Mullach nan Coirean

Stob Ban and Mullach nan Coirean close up

Descending towards the start of the Devil's Ridge......

..... and then ascending towards it

The language is about to take a turn for the worse!

Daz tackling the Bad Boy - Kev's head just visible around the corner

Kev now over the worst of it

Phew!

Back to Stob Coire a'Mhail and Sgurr an Iubhair - bypass path visible down to the left

At the summit of Sgurr a'Mhaim - Darren and Kev reflect on their brief encounter with the Devil

Stob Ban and Mullach nan Coirean from Sgurr a'Mhaim

The Ben and CMD arête from Sgurr a'Mhaim

Big Ben close up

Starting the lo......ng descent back down into Glen Nevis
Last edited by Graeme D on Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Ring of Steall? I'd say it's a basic requirement!

Postby dooterbang » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:15 pm

Nice of Darren and Kev to hire you as principal photographer on your virginal trip to the Mamores :)

Stunning photos and a good read.

Bet this one will stay in the memory for a long time.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby DarrenJeffrey » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:00 pm

Stunning :)
DarrenJeffrey
Munro compleatist

Munros:141   Corbetts:10
Fionas:8   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:20   

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:18 pm

haha good tale and cracking photos ....."an cu" skipped his four paws over the devils ridge no bother, was late August mind..... he was more sure footed than me :lol:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby SMRussell » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:09 pm

Jumpin' Gee Hosefat! These photos are more informative than Kevsbald's pics! I wasn't all that worried about any of the Mams but I think I'm feeling the fear factor now! Needless to say I'm well looking forward to tackling them!

Well done you crazy cats, what a fab day in the hills!
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby blanchie » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:12 pm

I love the tight sequence of photos - they give a pretty full picture of the whole walk. Especially love the piccies of Stob Ban and Mullach. I've done them both but didn't get that view of them - they both look as if they will collapse at any moment into the scoured out scallop below the tops. Fantastic.
blanchie
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:13
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:72
Wainwrights:111   

Postby pigeon » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:39 pm

Brilliant pics of what lokks a superb day.Did that pizza arrive? :lol:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:53 pm

Brilliant once again Graeme,pictures,narration,ticks all the boxes.

PS.......................I will now start to exersize my sphynter muscle in preperation for my date with this bad boy in May.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby luckyguy68 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:00 pm

Absoulutely immense!! The reason we are hill junkies. Long may your shutter click! :lol:
luckyguy68
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:8   

Postby ChrisW » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:01 pm

What a spectacular day Graeme, recorded beautifully throughout - really enjoyable :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby kevsbald » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:42 pm

Very drole. Liked the pizza analogies. Yes, les jambes are still feeling it too. Cracking report.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:52 pm

Another cracker Graeme - you often seem to impart additional facts about the routes/hills which adds extra colour to the reports - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby monty » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:21 pm

Another great story with superb photos :D
monty

Postby Gary_G » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:45 pm

This route has just entered my list of things i must do! Great photos.
Gary_G
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Scotjamie » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:16 pm

Stunning Graeme and well done Kev and Darren. The walk off Sgurr a Mhaim was my first and worst memory of jelly legs. Terrific walk for a pizza.
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

17 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland