walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

East Lomond, Pub/West Lomond, Bishop Hill

East Lomond, Pub/West Lomond, Bishop Hill

Postby RTMcB » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:53 pm

Route description: East Lomond circuit, Falkland

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Bishop Hill, East Lomond, West Lomond

Date walked: 15/04/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 22.9 km

Ascent: 1137m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

or "A day of two halves"

Lomond_3.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

First up was the East Lomond circuit exactly as described on WH. This route was chosen for the morning session as I would be taking my work colleagues plus girlfriends, all with varying levels of fitness. Didn't want anything too mental plus the return through Mapsie Den is gorgeous. Not too much to add to the WH report for the East Lomond circuit, except that the slog coming up the staircase in the Douk Plantation, as you exit Falkland, will destroy the less fit. Great views to the southern Cairngorms, still some snow up there, Bass Rock, Arthur's Seat, Schiehallion, Ben Lawers all visibile :D

I would now like to apologise to the wifey who I caught in a slightly embarrassing situation :shock: at the car park for West Lomond. However, if you are going to answer a call of nature on a main path 10 m from a public car park then these things will happen. Still, I turned my party around so you were spared further onlookers. Mind you, shouldn't those public toilets be unlocked by now? Come on it's April. Time for this circuit came in at about 4 hrs.

Lomonds-1-2.jpg
East Lomond from public car park in Falkland

Lomonds-1.jpg
Start of the ascent, adjacent to a...

Lomonds-1-3.jpg
...bag factory?

Lomonds-1-4.jpg
Bass Rock and North Berwick Law

Lomonds-1-5.jpg
Falkland; those narrow streets wouldn't be out of place in Cornwall!

Lomonds-1-6.jpg
West Lomond (right) and Bishop Hill (middle)

Lomonds-1-7.jpg
Obligatory Summit pic

A hearty burger at the Stag Inn satisfied my hunger and after saying goodbye to my chums, I drove to the car park for West Lomond. I followed the outward path as described for the West Lomond Circuit http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fife-stirling/west-lomond.shtml except I headed straight up to the summit. I didn't hang around long as I wanted to spot a decent route to Bishop Hill.

Lomonds-1-8.jpg
West Lomond summit from the south

Lomonds-1-9.jpg
Bishop Hill from West Lomond

Descended directly SSW from West Lomond making a bee-line for Bishop Hill. No real path, quite steep, but decent heather/grass so good footing. Plenty of stalkers paths zig-zaging down the hill. Halfway down West Lomond I spied a well-worn path through the brown heather heading straight for Bishop Hill. Just before the heather there's a bit of a steep bit on gravely earth but no real problems. Once on the path through the heather the going was good, plenty of fresh MTB trails in the mud. Out of the heather I reached the bealach the views to the west opening up through Glen Vale. Made my way through a red gate and joined a decent landrover track. Crossed a stone wall and headed SW. Eventually found the summit after many ups and downs. Decent cairn with fine views to the west - Ben Lomond, Stuc a'Chroin and Ben Vorlich were now visible. Time for one picture of me alone on top of Bishop Hill before beginning the trek back to the car. I felt pretty good at this point. Good enough to indulge in some light jogging down the hill. I only jog when people can't see me :lol: Now I was enjoying the great path and the fact that I was able to jog without feeling like I was about to vomit. However, my joy caused me to miss the turn north at NO202055, I ended up following the Lothrie Burn. Only realised my mistake when the path went over a fence and into the woods adjacent to Harperleas Reservoir, doh :? Only option was to carry on through, what I can only describe as marsh. I soon made it to the proper path, making good progress past the ruins at NO216057. Caught a glimpse of a couple of lambs next to the fence, my thoughts naturally turned to what's for dinner :lol: Back at the car before I knew it. Time for this circuit was about 2 hrs 40 mins.

Lomonds-1-10.jpg
View back up West Lomond

Lomonds-1-11.jpg
Visible path through brown heather heading toward Bishop Hill

Lomonds-1-12.jpg
Decent track to Bishop Hill

Lomonds-1-13.jpg
same track looking north toward West Lomond

Lomonds-1-14.jpg
Red gate looking back to West Lomond, top of Glen Vale

Lomonds-1-15.jpg
Heading SSW for Bishop Hill

Lomonds-1-16.jpg
Good track next to stone wall heading WSW

Lomonds-1-17.jpg
Loch Leven

Lomonds-1-18.jpg
Summit cairn with massive golfball in background

Lomonds-1-20.jpg
Ben Lomond, Stuc a'Chroin and Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn)

Lomonds-1-22.jpg
Bass Rock perfectly framed through the hills

Lomonds-1-24.jpg
Dinner! only joking...
RTMcB
Munro compleatist

Munros:147   Corbetts:18
Fionas:16   Donalds:25
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:67
Wainwrights:63   

Re: East Lomond, Pub/West Lomond, Bishop Hill

Postby luckyguy68 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:01 pm

Thas a fair amount of walking. Some of the unfitties will be sore in the morning :lol: I done bishop hill to west lomond and back last week, Ouch!!
luckyguy68
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:8   

Postby SMRussell » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:14 pm

"Great" to see what I missed out on being stuck-up here in Aberdeenshire finishing the thesis - not at all jealous and restless - although I'm happy to have not suffered the experience of witnessing a woman widdling in plain sight :shock:

Good detail, some lovely photos and a splendid first report (I'm not at all biased :wink: ). Sounds like a grand day out in the wee hills (see what I did there)

P.S I have seen you jog young man or do I not count?
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby EwaMH » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:50 am

Nice timing with this report..these guys keep grabbing my attention at the moment and I fancy them sometime soon so it's nice to get a wee look at them! Not sure the start beside a factory does much for me tho :P Sounds like you had a good days walk/jog!
EwaMH

Munros:207   Corbetts:83
Fionas:33   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:16

Postby Sarah86 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:53 am

Great circuit, I have only ever done the lomond hill individually and really enjoyed the walk to West Lomond. Makes it all the better with the good weather you had.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby RTMcB » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:45 pm

If I were to repeat this walk, I would park at the public car park between the Lomonds, do Bishop Hill first, then West Lomond, continue to East Lomond, down into Falkland for some pub grub/booze, then back to car through Mapsie Den! Would benefit from an early start, that car park gets really busy at a weekend :?
RTMcB
Munro compleatist

Munros:147   Corbetts:18
Fionas:16   Donalds:25
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:67
Wainwrights:63   

Postby nathan79 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:12 pm

Always like to see my local hills being trodden on. :D

There's an alternative start point down low between Falkland and Strathmiglo by a wee organic farm and cafe called the Pillars of Hercules. You get a wee walk through woods and by some farmland before it links up with the path along Maspie burn and up pass Maspie Den to the car park between East and West Lomond. I use this route in winter when the road up's not driveable.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby Jockstar » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:25 pm

Great report with a lot of detail with the weather to match. Good to hear of great comments on a walk that has great views and plenty of interest. You could start your walk by going up Bishops Hill and doing the circular
walk before dropping into the Well Inn at Scotlandwell food food and a beer. :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby bar72 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:06 am

as i live in Falkland, i regularly do both east / west circuits by leaving Falkland to head up the East Lomond, then from the top of the East, head over to Craigmead car park and continue up the top of the West Lomond. Returning by reverse route leaves me feeling thirsty where i go into the village for a much needed beer or two. great day out for tourists and hillwalkers alike ;
bar72
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:71   Donalds:67+40
Sub 2000:73   
Islands:14

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland