walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgiath Chuil but no Meal Glas

Sgiath Chuil but no Meal Glas

Postby Jockstar » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:18 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgiath Chùil

Date walked: 14/04/2012

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 5.5 km

Ascent: 921m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having missed the previous weekend with family commitments which saw Su and myself enjoy a great time in St.Andrews with my sisters and brother-in -law, enjoying a rare (for me) game of golf on the New Course where I managed to play to my handicap, :D I was also aware that we needed to keep up our fitness and decided on trying to clear off the Perthshire Munros of Sgiath Chuil and Meall Glas. :D
Arriving in good time at the car park at the end of Glen Lochay we walked to the Ford at Lubchurran and made our way passed the cottage and up the land rover track till we came to the dam and crossed over and headed straight up to gain the ridge which takes you all the way to Sgiath Chuil.

P1010896.JPG
The ford at lubchurran

P1010899.JPG
Looking towards Sgiath Chuil

The views were opening up as we gained height and we could see back to Meall Ghaordaidh and across to Creag Mhor and west to Ben Challum.

P1010900.JPG
Across to Creag Mhor

I was surprised that it wasn’t as boggy as I was led to believe, but it still seemed as if we were never making any real progress. Bright and sunny as it was we were subject to the odd shower of snow or hail but nothing to worry about. As we carried on the snow covered top was getting nearer and a couple coming down from the top of Sgiath Chuil gave us an idea of what to expect when we got onto the plateau which led to the top and now we knew what was expected we got on with the job of walking through the snow to get up and onto the plateau that takes you to the cairn.

P1010904.JPG
Su heading up the snow covered top

P1010905.JPG
The Plateau which takes you to the cairn

P1010916.JPG
Ben More and Stob Binnein

Without too much bother we soon reached the cairn and had a time out to eat our lunch. As we had a bit of shelter it was a grand view across to Ben More and it was a grand sight as it glistened in the sun.

P1010907.JPG
A wee bit of shelter at the cairn

P1010912.JPG
Ruby's 4th Munro

We realised, however that Ruby wasn’t coping to well with the snow and decided that Meal Glas would wait for another day. So we made our way back the way we came and planned to fit in Meal Glas from Glen Dochart another time.

P1010923.JPG
I'm sure its deeper now, Bri !!

Glad to report that Ruby was fine once she got back onto grass and had no effects from the snow.
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Sgiath Chuil but no Meal Glas

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:26 pm

Always like reading your posts jockstar & this is no different.

Glen Dochart is a good idea for Meal Glas.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Bod » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:29 pm

Nice work there and clear on the summit. Great stuff Jockstar, Su and Ruby :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby weescotsman » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:34 pm

Did Meall Glas from Glen Dochart a few weeks ago..... probably about the worst bogfest we've encountered, worse than Ben Challum and An Caistel............... nuff said. Great views though from the top.
weescotsman
Munro compleatist

Munros:116   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Jockstar » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:52 pm

weescotsman wrote:Did Meall Glas from Glen Dochart a few weeks ago..... probably about the worst bogfest we've encountered, worse than Ben Challum and An Caistel............... nuff said. Great views though from the top.

Thats what i heard about and was very wary with the dug not to get into a mudbath!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby weescotsman » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:55 pm

Think his wee legs would have needed more than a doggie paddle to get out of some of that stuff...... :lol:
weescotsman
Munro compleatist

Munros:116   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Jock McJock » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:41 am

Good stuff Brian, wee Ruby is racking up them Munros now :D
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Meatball » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:16 am

I echo the dochart bogfest comment.
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:50
Fionas:8   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby jonny616 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:36 am

Well done you guys. I did these too separately as well but both from the Lochay side.These two are not boggy from the lochay side its the evil ba****d on the other side thats boggy :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby quoman » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:09 pm

Nice one Jockstar ,su and Ruby
done this one with some of the WH gang planed to do the both but conditions decided against it.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby rockhopper » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:27 pm

Jockstar wrote:..........enjoying a rare (for me) game of golf on the New Course where I managed to play to my handicap
Not being a golfer, I think this is a much better way of going for a walk :lol: Good day out even if you didn't get to the second hill - can remember going from Glen Dochart but I must've been lucky as it wasn't as boggy as I thought it would be - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Graeme D » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:37 pm

Nice shades Brian. Good report too! :lol:

Like you and some others who have commented, I have done one but not the other. Did MG but not done SG yet. Did MG from the Lochay side and want to do SG from the Dochart/bogfest side. Definitely waiting for a nice, crisp, hard frozen winter day.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland