walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two From Fersit

Two From Fersit

Postby quoman » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:42 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob a' Choire Mheadhoin, Stob Coire Easain

Date walked: 19/04/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 17.21 km

Ascent: 1271m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Wanted to do an overnight camp so picked these two,so i could camp then get up and do the two on the west of loch Treig.

So packed up the car wednesday night checked then re checked then re checked again :lol: off to bed 10,30 fell asleep at12.30 my mind was still checking that i had everything :lol: got up at 6am left the house at 6.45,away up the A9 to Dalwhinnie then on to Fersit ave never been along that road in my life some nice views though thank god for the Tom Tom straight to the start point at 9.40, Got out the car looked for a nice wee spot to pitch the tent there was plenty of spots thought about putting the tent up right away but decided to leave it till i done the hills first.

The weather was fantastic clear skies no wind got ready and after more checking to see if i had everything in the rucksac since i was myself i had the lot ice axe, crampons, mini spikes better to be safe than sorry.i set of at 10.20, had one more look at the map for the route and crossed checked it with the GPS all good so crossed the road up to the fence and mist the path straight away :lol: not to worry i found the path futher up it was a easy enough walk with views all round me.Meall Cain Dearg is very impressive and a steep climb but you make good time as you zig zag up it then the good ridge walk all the way to the bottom of Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin there was a nice deep cornice on it so i keep't clear of it. It's a nice wee pull up to the summit with views all round me but i could see the weather starting to change all around me had a quick cup of tea then on to Stob Coire Easain as i made my way down to the Bealach the clag rolled in.so i decided to leave the rucksac get up and down quickly that's a steep climb up SCE half way up i was slipping and sliding all over the place but nothing to serious as i made the summit the clag lifted the wind got up so a quick photo then back down picked up the rucksac and headed back up to Stob a' Choire Mheadhoin within 5mins the snow started so on with the waterproofs.the weather closed in and stayed that way till i got lower so of with the waterproofs finnished my tea and head to the car the clouds were still thick with rain or snow, as i got to the car it started to rain and that made my mind up nae camping for me phoned the wife to say i was on the road home.Funny how you can get a good reception in the middle of no where but i can't get one in my kitchen :lol: :lol: :lol:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

DSC02389.JPG
the start
DSC02391.JPG
Stob Coire Sgriodain
DSC02393.JPG
DSC02396.JPG
Meall Cain Dearg
DSC02397.JPG
looking back from MCD
DSC02399.JPG
FIRST VIEWS OF THE TWO HILLS
DSC02403.JPG
SLIPPING CORNICE
DSC02405.JPG
DSC02406.JPG
walking to the summit Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin
DSC02407.JPG
summit
DSC02410.JPG
Stob Coire Easain with the clag rolling in
DSC02416.JPG
DSC02422.JPG
Looking back from the summit
DSC02424.JPG
DSC02423.JPG
DSC02426.JPG
stats
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Two From Fersit

Postby Fudgie » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:33 pm

Looks like you had a good day in terms of the weather.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby jonny616 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:48 pm

Shame your whole plan never worked out, but a good walk over the two. I'm going to do the other 2 on Sunday if you fancy it?
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby quoman » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:28 pm

Fudgie wrote:Looks like you had a good day in terms of the weather.

Aye it was a good day cheers

jonny616 wrote:Shame your whole plan never worked out, but a good walk over the two. I'm going to do the other 2 on Sunday if you fancy it?

That's how it goes :( would love to but back to work for me thanks for the offer.
quoman
Mountaineer

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:14 pm

Been popular these two recently, bad luck with the weather halting your camping. The parking area would have been a nice spot to camp on, was that where you were going to camp?
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby jimandandrea » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:58 pm

Shame the weather turned after what looked like a great day. Funny that about moby phones- like you I get SOS in our house but on the hills I get Bat phone status?
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Bod » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:57 pm

Great stuff quoman, a great walk isn't it ..... hope to catch you on the hills one of these days :D :D :lol:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby quoman » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:32 am

Johnny Corbett wrote:Been popular these two recently, bad luck with the weather halting your camping. The parking area would have been a nice spot to camp on, was that where you were going to camp?

Cheers Johnny...Yes i was going to camp just at the back of the car over the gate there is a nice bit for about 4 or 5 tents.

jimandandrea wrote:Shame the weather turned after what looked like a great day. Funny that about moby phones- like you I get SOS in our house but on the hills I get Bat phone status?

Yeah i didn't fancy sitting in the tent for 6hrs of rain battering down on it cheers.

Bod wrote:Great stuff quoman, a great walk isn't it ..... hope to catch you on the hills one of these days :D :D :lol:

Cheers Bod .... Would be great to meet up sometime....and it sure is a nice walk. after you get over the first climb the views just open up.
quoman
Mountaineer

Postby monty » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:01 pm

Nice report Quoman. Never mind the camping. Thats a nice couple of hills to bag. You can always go back for the other two :D
monty

Postby ChrisW » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:17 pm

Entertaining stuff as always Quoman, lovely photos, that slipping cornice looks a bit dicey. Strange to see so much snow back again after the spring equivalent of an Indian summer :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby quoman » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:29 pm

monty wrote:Nice report Quoman. Never mind the camping. Thats a nice couple of hills to bag. You can always go back for the other two :D

Cheers monty,..I will be back there shortly.

ChrisW wrote:Entertaining stuff as always Quoman, lovely photos, that slipping cornice looks a bit dicey. Strange to see so much snow back again after the spring equivalent of an Indian summer :D

Cheers Chris....that was as close as i wanted to go :lol:... Yeah the snow was that kind of wet stuff if you know what i mean.
quoman
Mountaineer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland