walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

ANGLETARN PIKES/ BROCK CRAGS - LAKE DISTRICT

ANGLETARN PIKES/ BROCK CRAGS - LAKE DISTRICT

Postby susanmyatt » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:43 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Angletarn Pikes, Brock Crags

Date walked: 13/10/2009

Time taken: 3

Distance: 8 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi everyone, our next instalment of our week in the Lakes was a trip to Hartsop village where we parked on the free car park at the far end of the village. There are numerous walks from here and today we were making Brock Crags our first port of call, even from the car the views were great as you could walk straight on to Hartsop Dodd.
IMG_4684.jpg
Hartsop Dodd
With only a small distance covered the views opened up to the Knott towering over Hayeswater.
IMG_4697.jpg
The Knott
Also up to Threshthwaite
IMG_4702.jpg
Threshthwaite
Grey Crag was looming large with the good path to Hayeswater
IMG_4711.jpg
Grey Crag
Looking up to Threshthwaite we could see the large flat top of Caudale Moor and to the right Hartsop Dodd
IMG_4712.jpg
Caudale Moor/Hartsop Dodd
We zoomed in on Hayeswater
IMG_4715.jpg
Hayeswater
We continued climbing until we levelled out a little and saw what was making the bellowing we had heard all day, a stag who had around six hinds chasing him
IMG_4722.jpg
Stag
We had to leave the track to head to Brock Crags summit and it got a bit boggy near the summit
IMG_4733.jpg
Towards Brock Crags summit
IMG_4734.jpg
Brock Crags top with mondays walk behind
We headed back to the track and could see Rest Dodd from Satura
IMG_4763.jpg
Rest Dodd
A short distance and our first view of the spectacular Angle Tarn, surely one of the finest tarns
IMG_4769.jpg
Angle Tarn
Our opening view to the right was Beda Fell and the Fusedale Round of the Far Eastern fells
IMG_4776.jpg
Beda, Fusedale
Every direction were great views
IMG_4786.jpg
Angle Tarn
IMG_4799.jpg
To Helvellyn
IMG_4833.jpg
Glenridding Dodd/Sheffield Pike over Glenridding
As we neared the top of Angletarn Pikes we looked back at Brothers Water
IMG_4806.jpg
Brothers Water and Middle Dodd
A last climb and we were on the summit of Angletarn, my husbands 50th Wainwright, not bad for a non walker :lol:
IMG_4818.jpg
Pikes summit, 50th Wainwright
IMG_4838.jpg
Towards Brock Crags
Our route of descent was to Boredale Hause where the routes from Hartsop and Patterdale meet at the foot of Place Fell
IMG_4842.jpg
Place Fell
IMG_4847.jpg
All downhill from here
IMG_4854.jpg
Glenridding
It was alovely walk along the valley back to Hartsop Village which boasts this quaint cottage
IMG_4858.jpg
Hartsop
A great day and still time to visit Keswick for some shopping, thanks for looking, Sue :D
Last edited by susanmyatt on Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Re: ANGLETARN PIKES/ BROCK CRAGS - LAKE DISTRICT

Postby mountain coward » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:53 am

You're really making me miss that area - haven't been for a few years as the Youth Hostel is always full of school parties and my usual pub, 'The White Lion' always seems booked up nowadays too... Everywhere else is way too expensive! Gray Crag is one of my favourite Lakes hills!
mountain coward

Postby robertian » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:14 am

Some lovely photos there Sue, I must admit that I admire the way your husband allows you to carry most of the gear.

cheers
Ian
robertian
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby susanmyatt » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:48 am

He has a rucksack just the same, I normally have the map and he has the satmap but I was learning to use it so it looks a bit like I'm overloaded, I tend to take everything I would on a long walk even if not used its always ther :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby robertian » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:06 pm

I tend to be the same - even if its only a few hours walk on a nice summers day - I tend to have enough equipment for a full expedition. :lol:

Cheers
Ian
robertian
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland