walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Bhuidhe - 50 for me

Beinn Bhuidhe - 50 for me

Postby Frigate » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:04 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhuidhe

Date walked: 21/04/2012

Time taken: 7.58 hours

Distance: 21.8 km

Ascent: 1020m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Team reduced to 2 plus Jake the dug this weekend, decided on a simple single hill.

Met Ian at the car park at Inverfyne and on the track for 07.45, Jake leading the way.
DSCF0339.JPG
Jake leading the way

Slight altercation with a grumpy toffee coo that took exception to Jake even though he was on a lead at the time. She decided to run past us to stand over her calf, three quarters of a ton of hair and horn can move quite fast let me tell you.
DSCF0340.JPG
Get orf my land

DSCF0341.JPG
And ours

Long walk in but very scenic as Glen Fyne develops, most of it on a good tarmac road then a gravel track until Inverchorachan cottage; 81 minutes.
DSCF0343.JPG
Long and winding road - apologies to The Beatles

DSCF0344.JPG
Inverchorachan cottage in sight

Good path up the bank of the stream, a little eroded in places with a couple of small scrambles.
DSCF0345.JPG
First waterfall

DSCF0347.JPG
Path past waterfalls

DSCF0365.JPG
Route up by waterfall

Ian was having trouble maintaining grip with his lightweight boots on some of the rocky areas and went off on a detour.
DSCF0367.JPG
Detour - straight up

We met up again at the 700m plateau area by the head of Alt na Faing and followed the indistinct path to the base of the last ascent under the bealach. It was just a case of working your way upwards between the small crags. From the top we found a more direct path? to the summit up a gulley, but not for us - to near pension.
DSCF0350.JPG
Summit ridge playing peek-a-boo

The summit was shrouded in cloud which gradually lifted as we walked along the summit ridge path.
DSCF0358.JPG
Looking back to the bealach

The shape of the hill and gradients reminded me of a grassy version of the final pull up to Stob Ban, on a slightly smaller scale (and for the purists its opposite handed).
Summit reached in 3 hrs 40 mins as the cloud lifted and we ended up with a good all round view.
DSCF0354.JPG
Loch Awe & Cruachan horseshoe

DSCF0355.JPG
Loch Fyne

DSCF0356.JPG
Arrochar Alps

DSCF0360.JPG
Summit three

DSCF0362.JPG
Summit ridge back to 700m plateau area

DSCF0363.JPG
Ben Vorlich

Had lunch and debated returning via Newton Hill, following the track by the Merk burn through the forest and back via the west bank of the river Fyne. Decided not to as there was a sizable area of peat hags and many small pools which would have made for hard walking.

We had intended in following the WH route but came off the ridge too early and had to traverse eastwards above the waterfalls to gain the steep grassy slopes on the north side of the Alt na Faing. The descent was not much slower than the ascent, that is a measure of how steep the grass slopes are.

Had a short break at the bottom before the forced march out led by the old Black Watchman Ian (come on lad push it out, in through the nose out through the mouth, no slacking).
All was going well until the ambush by the wooly horned behemoths just after the sheepfold (phycological warfare there - never expect cows by a sheepfold). Six cows and calfs strung across the road with a couple of tough looking hangers on. Wellington said pick your ground for a battle, I said run away. So we gave them a wide berth up hill in their field, which was the worst bog of the day and not all of it peat.
84 minutes walk out with a total walk time of 7 hrs 35 mins.

Forgot to add we heard a cuckoo calling from the hazel tree woods, a little early I thought, a letter to Times is required as summer is on its way.

DSCF0364.JPG
Jake takes a cooling bath, I was tempted

DSCF0366.JPG
Uppermost waterfall

DSCF0368.JPG
Glen Fyne northwards

DSCF0369.JPG
Glen Fyne southwards
Last edited by Frigate on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Frigate
Munro compleatist

Munros:137   Corbetts:12
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:9
Islands:12

Re: Beinn Bhuidhe - 50 for me

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:38 pm

Aye the coos don't like dugs. Nice walk this and well done on the 50 :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Banditman » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:02 pm

Nice report. Those Coos don't like me either..... :lol:
I'm hoping to do this one soon. Looks good, although I might "cheat" a wee bit and cycle up as far as the cottage :D
Banditman
Scrambler

Munros:263   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:11

Postby Ian Bayne » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:55 pm

This was a good day for your 50th a nice wee hill with good weather made it a good day out
Ian Bayne
Mountain Walker

Munros:184   Corbetts:39
Fionas:13   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:12   

Postby pigeon » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:01 pm

Nice one Kev,well done on getting to 50,30 years is good going :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That's one hill you pair have up on me and chaz :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby jonny616 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:35 pm

Nice one. well done on the 50 8)
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Frigate » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:36 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Aye the coos don't like dugs. Nice walk this and well done on the 50 :D

Thanks Johnny, its taken a long time but cracked out 21 so far this year and no plans for stopping.

quote="Banditman"]Nice report. Those Coos don't like me either..... :lol:
I'm hoping to do this one soon. Looks good, although I might "cheat" a wee bit and cycle up as far as the cottage :D[/quote]

Thanks Banditman, the track is in good condition when the tarmac runs out but there is a rather large gate (2m high), deer fence and a very small kissing gate at the normal vehicular road end. The estate have provided a steel rail to secure your bike to but I can't see the burberry crowd getting this far out of civilisation.

pigeon wrote:Nice one Kev,well done on getting to 50,30 years is good going :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That's one hill you pair have up on me and chaz :thumbup:

Pidge, we missed you as did Jake, he had to lumber along with the oldies. Only another 169.8 years to get them all in at that rate.
Frigate
Munro compleatist

Postby tomyboy73 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:39 pm

well done on the 50, but don`t know how your mate had a problem with the path ?
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby pigeon » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:27 pm

169.8 years? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: No way man,we'll take a few decades of that :lol:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby PeteR » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:46 pm

Well done on the 50 :D A not too bad day by the looks of it :D

This hill found me in "couldn't be a****d" mood a few weeks back, so I gave up half way. I took the opportunity to visit the Fyne brewery on the return instead and invested in some Fyne Ales. And Fyne they are. Can't say I enjoyed the walk in that much, but a re-visit to the brewery when I do go back will be incentive enough for me to return :lol:

Maybe it's just me, but I took one look at the coos "field" and decided I'd chance my luck rather than walk through that :lol: So I walked right through the coos when I encountered them and had no problems.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby 2dalmatians » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:49 pm

This is a great hill for your 50th. Well done to you. I was sure glad I had my bike for the return trip-I was knackered :lol: The pup looked like he was having a ball too! :D
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Frigate » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:50 pm

tomyboy73 wrote:well done on the 50, but don`t know how your mate had a problem with the path ?

Thanks Tomy, Ian had no real problem with the path as such but on two of the small scrambles he could gain no purchase at all. So he decided to go over the top of them and after gaining height decided just to carry on upwards.

pigeon wrote:169.8 years? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: No way man,we'll take a few decades of that :lol:

The walking has taken a few decades off me, I feel like a 30 year old only the wife says I can't have one.

PeteR wrote:Well done on the 50 :D A not too bad day by the looks of it :D .

Thanks PeteR; there are worse approach walks, we had promised ourselves to look in at the shop on the way out but I was late for a previous in Falkirk and turning up with a boot load of beer would have definitely caused me pain in the nether regions.
Normally the cows wouldn't faze us having dealt with bovine blood relatives with calves twice in Glen Lochay and at the start of An Caisteal this year. We stayed on the road on the way in even after the fire power demonstration by the beefy bullet but the way out was slightly different as it would have been like running a gauntlet. As the wall/fence alongside the road that separates the sheep fields from the road is electrified the avoidance route is into the cow field. With my Elf & Safety head on the dynamic risk assessment said be gracious and give way, as the only one who could outrun them was Jake.

2dalmatians wrote:This is a great hill for your 50th. Well done to you. I was sure glad I had my bike for the return trip-I was knackered :lol: The pup looked like he was having a ball too! :D

Thanks 2dalmations; I liked the hill in spite of the access/egress. The pup had a good time and Jake the Dug also.
Frigate
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland