walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

a veiw to a hill

a veiw to a hill

Postby highlander218 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:56 pm

Route description: Ben Alder and Beinn Bheòil from Culra

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bheoil, Ben Alder

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Pharlagain

Date walked: 14/04/2012

Time taken: 36 hours

Distance: 49 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

after waiting for a weather window for this big route since my last outing i set off friday night from preston at 6.30 with a veiw to arriving at the drovers inn before closing time, 2 pints of deuchars and £ 8.00 lighter saw me soundly asleep by the bridge of orchy by 12.30 pm;
saturday am 8.14 am on the station at orchy for the train to corrour with a few other brave souls and here comes the overnight sleeper from london, so we all pile onto the back carriage as usual where a nervous guard asks who booked us all on the train , thats a new one on me but because ive only caught this train in winter when its quieter, anyhow it was quite full in the one carriage so its one to remember for summertime.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

folowed track and headed ENE along loch ossian to the outflow of the river ossian and stopped for a break by the bridge, there are some large stones here which make a nice seat with a veiw down the loch too, this is a pic from last june with the broom in flower as its better than the one i took last week !! you clever ones will have noticed this already

IMG_1730.JPG

crossed bridge over river ossian and turned right and followed path by river north to cross over and around woodland on the west side most of which has been felled recently and reached the bridge over usige labhair where i followed path up the glen to below ben alders west ridge, climbing up to meet the path coming in from bealach dubh around 650 mtrs. headed up west ridge staying close to the edge of rocks above coire chomhlain with good veiws opening up behind me to beinn eibhinn etc,

Image0389.jpg

reached about 1050 mtrs and the weather started to come in every 20 minutes or so with heavy snow and hail showers with terrific increases in windspeed temporarily reducing visibility to zero, so rather than wait for another shower i stopped a while and donned full winter mits, hat and goggles and set compass for summit, had to break trail here through new powder snow which proved tough going, crossed plateau heading east in a sea of white

Image0397.jpg

arrived just north of summit near the edge of the east face and followed edge and arrived with much releif on ben alders summit with great panorama all around, fantastic not a soul in sight to spoil the veiw !

Image0400.jpg

Image0404.jpg

good veiw down to lochan and accross to ben bheoil my next objective and so i headed off around rim of choire garbh passing between the high lochan which was snow covered , care needed here when snow covered with water on one side / cliffs on the the other !!

Image0407.jpg

Image0403.jpg

just after point 1104 mtrs followed east a short way and descended SE to bealach below sron coire na h-lolaire for lunch 2.30 pm, where i sat watching showers breaking out over perthshire

Image0410.jpg

up onto north west shoulder of sron and down and up again to summit of ben bheiol which proved fairly straighforward,
Image0415.jpg

with great veiws in a grand setting looking back over to ben alder

Image0412.jpg

headed back over the sron and down to bhealaich bheithe and south down the stream to lonely ben alder cottage and set up camp for the night [ you may read its supposed to be haunted by the ghost of a gamekeeper ] not the guy emerging on the right of bothy thats stevie from glasgow !

Image0420.jpg

lovely wild place here and great to camp if like me you sleep better alone, met glasgow couple in the bothy who had walked in from the south a few days previous just to enjoy the peace and solitude of this magical place, spent a great few hours by the fire sharing memories of many a mountain day before i retired back over the stepping stones to me wee tent and a good nights [ ghost free sleep ]

Image0427.jpg

sunday 15 th - woke to a frost and a lovely cold shave in the beck [ brrrr ] got fire going in bothy and had soon had porridge and a brew going

Image0424.jpg

10 am packed up ready for the off to head over footbridge over the alder burn and head south through scattered scots pines with super lochside veiws back to ben alder and down loch ericht

Image0436.jpg

Image0445.jpg

followed lochside to bridge over cam chriochan and headed due west up onto ridge of meall na meoig 868 mtrs , rounded north side of lochan and climbed easy snow gully up onto corbett summit, great veiws from this peak looking to black mount, and ben nevis summit clear of cloud

Image0452.jpg

Image0456.jpg

followed ups and downs south along ridge to point 711 mtrs and descended down to meet track at footbridge over the allt eigheach, slept like a log for an hour or so by the river and an then easy stroll back to the road and rannoch station for the 18.37 train back to civilisation [ oh dear naeer mind ill be back soon ] :D

Image0475.jpg
Last edited by highlander218 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
highlander218
Stravaiging

Munros:240   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   
Hewitts:77
Wainwrights:124   

Re: a veiw to a hill

Postby Gable Gable End » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:43 am

One of my fav parts of the world this!!
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Re: a veiw to a hill

Postby mrssanta » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:52 pm

that was great
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland