walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Moruisg and Sgurr nan Ceannaichean

Moruisg and Sgurr nan Ceannaichean

Postby bootsandpaddles » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:31 am

Route description: Moruisg and Sgùrr nan Ceannaichean

Munros included on this walk: Moruisg

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr nan Ceannaichean

Date walked: 22/04/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 1024m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

MORUISG AND SGURR NAN CEANNAICHEAN

I didn’t fancy another day of snow covered boulder fields in the clouds so I decided to head a bit further south and pick up a couple of easier hills – ones that you actually see from the road that is! :lol: And it would allow to me to have a look at Maoile Lunndaidh and Co for a future trip.

Out of the van, through a field, over the bridge, under the railway and then on to the hill. No huge walk in today! There is a lot of forestry activity in progress on the lower slopes (deer fences going up, trees planted) and the way is marked by garden canes with bits of hazard tape tied to them. I spotted a couple of people up ahead – incidentally the first people I had seen on a hill in 4 days. I hadn’t seen a soul on the Mullardoch hills or the Ullapool hills. The tuneful “bong” of fence posts being driven in rang out across the hillside and higher up I crossed the line of a new deer fence. Then on to the steep, unrelenting climb up the grassy, heathery slopes of Moruisg. There is a reasonable path between two gullies and I quickly gained height. I contrast to the previous few days I had superb views across Torridon and could pick out Liatach, Beinn Eighe, Slioch and numerous other hills.
DSCN1108.JPG
Beinn Liath Mhor, Fuar Tholl
Passing a few small patches of snow I reached the ridge and a short walk led to the summit cairn. The views south were amazing: hill after hill with a covering of snow and brooding black clouds. The ridge along to Sgurr nan Ceannaichean is great walking: short grass, no bogs, no boulder fields, no snow, superb views all around. :clap:
DSCN1124.JPG
Glenn Fhiodhaig
DSCN1113.JPG
Unfortunately it is necessary to lose quite a bit of height before climbing the rocky ridge to the sadly demoted Sgurr nan Ceannaichean.
DSCN1116.JPG
Sgurr nan Ceanaichean
No matter that it is no longer a Munro: it is still a great hill in a wonderful position.
DSCN1125.JPG
Bealach Bhearnais
Size is not everything! After a bite to eat and a cup of tea I retraced my steps down the rocky section and then descended via the north ridge into the huge corrie between the two hills.
DSCN1126.JPG
Crossing the burn I picked up a path which led back alongside the burn to the railway line. More tree planting in progress along the way.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Re: Moruisg and Sgurr nan Ceannaichean

Postby dooterbang » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:43 pm

Only 1 munro...ah your slacking man :lol:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland