walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Langstrath horseshoe

A Langstrath horseshoe

Postby simon-b » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:21 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Allen Crags, Eagle Crag, Glaramara, High Raise (Central Fells), Rosthwaite Fell, Sergeant Man, Sergeant's Crag

Hewitts included on this walk: Allen Crags, Dovenest Crag, Glaramara, High Raise (Central Fells), Red Beck Top (Glaramara South Top)

Date walked: 15/04/2012

Time taken: 10

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 1380m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Langstrath.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The freezing level had been forecast to be at 300 metres in the Lakes, and I knew there'd been some recent snow. So I turned up at Stonethwaite with full winter equipment and clothing. Driving along on the A66 I'd seen snow on Helvellyn and Blencathra, but not that much. However, I wanted to get some good training in ready for some longer walks I hope to do in Scotland. So carrying the axe and crampons might prove a good excercise anyway :? Also, this route involved both the Central and Southern Fells, so I had the extra weight of two Wainwright books to carry :lol:

The first objective was Eagle Crag.

P4150006.JPG

Approaching the Fell by Wainwright's route, the gully providing the key to ascent was found.

P4150011.JPG

The route heads right after the gully, but first I made a detour left to NY 2757 1219 for the view of Eagle Crag's vertical face.

P4150012.JPG

Continuing the ascent, a view to the head of Langstrath, backed by the Bowfell group, opened up.

P4150017.JPG

On reaching small, rocky summit, the next target, Sergeant's Crag, appeared to the south.

P4150026.JPG

A short, easy route to Sergeant's Crag's summit followed.

P4150027.JPG

Now the long, steady, and largely pathless climb to High Raise followed. The top is pretty flat, but still has excellent all-round views. West to Great Gable, and WSW to Bowfell and the Scafells.

P4150037.JPG

P4150038.JPG

This was my seventh visit to High Raise, highest of the Central Fells. I've never climbed this hill without also visiting Sergeant Man, and vice versa. The height drop between the two is minimal, so the latter doesn't count as a top in most modern lists. But it is a Wainwright, and still deservedly popular.

P4150040.JPG

It has good views to the south, including this one to the Coniston fells and Pavey Ark.

P4150042.JPG

A good spot for lunch as well :)

Next the route headed west to the depression between High Raise and Thunacar Knott. After the depression, a pathless descent, steep in places, was made to the summit of Stake Pass. Here the crossing was made into the Southern Fells region. A path was picked up that ascended steadily to Angle Tarn.

P4150050.JPG

This was a nice spot for a second stop to finish the contents of my lunch box :D

Everything had gone well so far, and I headed on up to Esk Hause. On reaching the pass the Gables looked impressive to the north-west.

P4150057.JPG

I turned left to head up Allen Crags, not a long ascent from here, but at this point my legs first began to feel it. No big problem though, and the summit was soon gained. Allen Crags is a great view point. The Langdale Pikes stood out ESE, and looking ENE from the summit was the next objective, Glaramara.

P4150060.JPG

P4150058.JPG

The ridge from Allen Crags to Glaramara is a classic, passing several attractive tarns. The Hewitt of Red Beck Top was visited along the way. On arrival at Glaramara's main Summit cairn, a beautiful view along Borrowdale opened up.

P4150064.JPG

The ridge route that followed to Rosthwaite Fell is a difficult one to navigate.

P4150066.JPG

After picking a way down from Glaramara which included some steep sections requiring care to negotiate, I made my way towards Dovenest Crag's summit. This is a Hewitt and technically the highest point of Rosthwaite Fell, but not the Wainwright top.

My legs were starting to fatigue as I climbed to the top, and the extra weight of the axe and crampons had not been necessary. There was little snow and the temperature seemed higher than forecast. But as I'd mentioned earlier, it was proving to be a good fitness test.

I made it to the cairn and looked over towards Honister Crag.

P4150068.JPG

Next I moved on to the rocky little top of Rosthwaite Cam, and forced my tired limbs to make the scramble to the top. After Scrambling back down I headed towards Tarn at Leaves, with Bessyboot, the Wainwright top of Rosthwaite Fell, visible behind the tarn to the left, below Blencathra.

P4150072.JPG

So I passed the tarn and pushed myself up onto Bessyboot, and now it was downhill all the way :D

I made my way to Big Stanger Gill to pick up the path down to Stonethwaite. My legs were like jelly now and care was needed for the descent, which was steep and rough in places, alongside the stream.

P4150081.JPG

P4150082.JPG

At last I arrived back at Stonethwaite, feeling pretty exhausted. I was surprised that this route had been so demanding. I'd felt fine after finishing the Yorkshire Three Peaks and climbing the Ben via CMD. Even the Cairn Toul - Braeriach traverse hadn't left me feeling quite as tired.

But it had been a great workout!

simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Re: A Langstrath horseshoe

Postby ChrisW » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:13 pm

Great report Simon, no wonder the legs were a bit jellylike on the descent, that's a fair old round, some cracking good pics in there - what a great day in the hills :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby garyhortop » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:11 am

Bit of an epic wander this Simon but looks like you were lucky with the weather and got some really good pictures as well.

Hope the legs have recovered! :thumbup:
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:56 pm

Wow, that was a great walk and really enjoyed your report :D
You've got some fantastic photos as well :thumbup:

The first part of your walk was the very last one that I was able to do before having an operation which left me ambulant disabled :(
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby simon-b » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:14 pm

Thanks Everyone!

Chris and Gary, yes it was a great day and I've fully recovered.

Susie, I hope this brings happy memories of your last fell walk, and I'm glad if our tales and pictures can bring the tops back to you. Also, there are so many beautiful views from low level in the Lakes, which I'm sure you still enjoy.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:30 am

You covered a lot of rough ground so it's no wonder you were shattered. Great report and pics, enjoyed that.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby simon-b » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:51 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:You covered a lot of rough ground.

Thanks, John. I suppose parts were a bit rough, particularly the initial Eagle Crag ascent, and the Southern Fells section.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Postby ciderpeter » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:22 pm

Nice route - I hated Eagle and Sergeants Crag when I did them as I fell in a bog up to my neck and had to swim out (literally) and Todd broke his foot and needed an operation on his birthday (and the day we went to Snowdon!!!), but you actually make it look quite tempting to go back at some point! I see what you mean now about us both linking the two books on the same day!

The climb up to Eagle crag at the start looks steep though?! :o

I was surprised by Glaramara and how much of a climb it was as opposed to a walk! I never expected it to be so craggy!

Was it boggy when you did it?
ciderpeter
Munro compleatist

Munros:32   
Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:214   

Postby simon-b » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:08 pm

ciderpeter wrote:The climb up to Eagle crag at the start looks steep though?! :o

Was it boggy when you did it?

If you use Wainwright's route you can breach Eagle Crag's defences, and it's not as steep as it looks from Stonethwaite, Peter. There's a little bit of easy scrambling as you get near the top.

The route wasn't too boggy. Perhaps the wettest part of the whole route was between Stake Pass and Angle Tarn.

I'd definitely recommend doing Eagle and Sergeant's Crag again.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland