walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn na Caim, A'Bhuidheanach Bheag & 2 Deleted Munros

Carn na Caim, A'Bhuidheanach Bheag & 2 Deleted Munros

Postby foggieclimber » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:46 pm

Munros included on this walk: A' Bhuidheanach Bheag, Càrn na Caim

Date walked: 28/04/2012

Time taken: 6.25 hours

Distance: 24.6 km

Ascent: 1050m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A second-round ascent of Carn na Caim and A’Bhuidheanach Bheag has been in the planning for several weeks. As well as ascending Carn na Caim and A’Bhuidheanach Bheag - both current Munros, my aim today was to also ascend Meall a’Chaorainn and Glas Mheall Mor – both Munros in Hugh Munro’s original 1891 list. Glas Mheall Mor is now a Munro Top.

I last ascended Carn na Caim and A’Bhuidheanach Bheag in May 2000.

I set off from home around 08:00 and arrived at Drumochter by 09:45 – a relatively short journey compared with some recent, and some forthcoming, trips. I parked in the large lay-by across the road from the hills.

Click here to see a map of the route undertaken

I set off with Beinn along the wide vehicle track which ascends to > 900m.

Looking across A9 to West Drumochter hills:

Looking back towards Dalwhinnie:

Ascending track between Carn na Caim and A’Bhuidheanach Bheag:

Carn na Caim:

The ascent was not that interesting until I spotted a Golden Plover. It was kind enough to stay relatively still just long enough for me to get a couple of photos.

Golden Plover:

Golden Plover (full zoom):

From c.750m upwards, the track was filled with snow – this pleased Beinn.

Beinn:

It was nice to get views across to Ben Alder during the ascent. A re-ascent of Ben Alder is definitely on my to-do list too.

West Drumochter Munros and Ben Alder:

Ben Alder (zoom):

After reaching the 902m top, I made my way across to Carn na Caim, via the 914m top. As I walked along the track a nice wee plane flew overhead.

Small plane (full zoom):

Heading for Carn na Caim:

On approaching Carn na Caim, I met six people going the opposite way. I found it a bit amusing when one asked if my dog was ok, re-assured me that “I didn’t have far to reach the summit” and questioned, was I also doing “the other one” :lol:.

I didn’t spend long at the summit.

Beinn at the summit of Carn na Caim:

I was quite surprised at how much snow there is again on the Cairngorms!

Snow-plastered Cairngorms (zoom):

From Carn na Caim, I returned the same way as far as the 902m top. I then made my way across to A’Bhuidheanach Bheag via A’Bhuidheanach (879m).

Heading for A’Bhuidheanach Bheag:

Heading for A’Bhuidheanach Bheag:

While ascending A’Bhuidheanach Bheag, I decided to head for Meall a’Chaorainn first.

Approaching Meall a’Chaorainn:

Just below the summit of Meall a’Chaorainn I spotted a Wheatear. Beinn started to prowl like a cat towards it, but I think he forgot that he was on a lead and soon got jerked back and told to behave.

Wheatear (full zoom):

I was quite impressed with the views from Meall a’Chaorainn. It is definitely a better viewpoint that A’Bhuidheanach Bheag.

I’m not sure why Hugh Munro made this one a Munro – I assume due to mapping inaccuracies of the time. It doesn’t even feel like the top of a hill.

View from summit of Meall a’Chaorainn:

Loch Garry from Meall a’Chaorainn:

From Meall a’Chaorainn, I made my way across to A’Bhuidheanach Bheag via the un-named 936m top.

A’Bhuidheanach Bheag from 936m top:

After a quick photo stop, we made our way towards Glas Mheall Mor.

Beinn at the summit of A’Bhuidheanach Bheag:

The expanse of land between A’Bhuidheanach Bheag and Glas Mheall Mor is quite rough-going with lots of peat.

Approaching Glas Mheall Mor:

Coire Mhic-sith:

Was nice to reach the summit of Glas Mheall Mor – my second deleted 1891 Munro of the day – only 10 more original 1891 Munros left to do!

Map of 1891 Munros

Beinn at the summit of Glas Mheall Mor:

The return to A’Bhuidheanach Mhor was not pleasant – lots of peat but thankfully quite firm.

Peat traverse:

Despite some threatening rain clouds, it stayed dry throughout.

Approaching rain?:

Another good day out :D.
foggieclimber

Re: Carn na Caim, A'Bhuidheanach Bheag & 2 Deleted Munros

Postby BoyVertiginous » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:31 pm

Nice report, foggieclimber. Good to see how these look in clear conditions, having done them in the snow and clag a few months back.

Down the road from you today, South of Pitlochry, just one short hail shower and otherwise bright.

Great pics of the Plover (particularly the second one) and the Wheatear.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby ChrisW » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:43 am

Great report Foggie, really enjoyable...it seems a while since I saw one from you and I'm glad to see another. Love the wildlife shots, the Golden Plover is a beauty. You set a fair old pace over the distance....is Beinn all right with that :lol: :lol: :wtf: Love that first shot of Beinn on the snow covered path, great read - really enjoyed it :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby foggieclimber » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:35 am

ChrisW wrote:Great report Foggie, really enjoyable...it seems a while since I saw one from you and I'm glad to see another. Love the wildlife shots, the Golden Plover is a beauty. You set a fair old pace over the distance....is Beinn all right with that :lol: :lol: :wtf: Love that first shot of Beinn on the snow covered path, great read - really enjoyed it :D

Thanks Chris. Beinn generally sets the pace, I've just got to try to keep up :lol:
foggieclimber

Postby kevsbald » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 am

Those shots of the birds are lovely - presume that isn't a Canon powershot you are using...
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby steven65 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:52 am

Nice clear fotos there foggieclimber - i too was up on A' Bhuidheanach Bheag & Carn na Caim yesterday then continued on round to Meall Chuaich . The worst part of my day was the road walk back along the A9 to the lay by at the start -it's a bummer - mine was the silver Clio with the WH sticker on rear window.
As i left Carn na Caim for Meall Chuaich i saw 2 groups approaching , but didn't hang around .
A LONG day out i started walking at 6am (3.30am rise!) & got back to the car at 550pm , but overall it was a great day to be out , I didn't take Oskar (my schnauzer) with me as i wasn't sure how deep the snow would be -so he had a day off :lol:
steven65
Mountain Walker

Munros:262   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby foggieclimber » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:20 pm

steven65 wrote:Nice clear fotos there foggieclimber - i too was up on A' Bhuidheanach Bheag & Carn na Caim yesterday then continued on round to Meall Chuaich . The worst part of my day was the road walk back along the A9 to the lay by at the start -it's a bummer - mine was the silver Clio with the WH sticker on rear window.
As i left Carn na Caim for Meall Chuaich i saw 2 groups approaching , but didn't hang around .
A LONG day out i started walking at 6am (3.30am rise!) & got back to the car at 550pm , but overall it was a great day to be out , I didn't take Oskar (my schnauzer) with me as i wasn't sure how deep the snow would be -so he had a day off :lol:

The Silver Clio was there when I arrived and still there when I got back, so I figured it was someone doing a longer walk. Didn't spot the Walk Highlands sticker. My one was the Landrover with the Walk Highlands sticker :lol:

Kevsbald wrote:Those shots of the birds are lovely - presume that isn't a Canon powershot you are using...

Thanks. No was using a Canon EOS 550D with an 18-200mm lens.
foggieclimber

Postby quoman » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:56 pm

Hi foggieclimber,

thats a good report and i like the photo of the cairngorms very nice.. i seen nothing on these hills :lol:
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:06 am

Hi foggieclimber, great report, and looks like overall a perfect day for a wander over the rolling tops. Superb photographs of the Golden Plover and aircraft above. Must re-visit very soon and hopefully get the same weather as you. The details of the the ORIGINAL Munros was also very interesting, checking it out now. :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:38 pm

Hi, nice to know how the views from these hills actually look like, we did them in a total white-out last winter, didn't see a thing :lol: We have to go back there on a better day. Thanks for sharing.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland