walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Challum (more or less!!)

Ben Challum (more or less!!)

by 2dalmatians » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:19 pm

Route description: Ben Challum, near Tyndrum

Munros included on this walk: Ben Challum

Date walked: 22/04/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 910m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Ben Challum (more or less!!)

Postby dogplodder » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:49 pm

Love the shot of Daisy on the hill. :D

The way I see it is no one makes us climb hills and we're not in a race in terms of speed or how many we bag. We do it because we love being out in wild places and giving ourselves a challenge. We're all different in fitness and experience so the challenge is different for each of us. An experienced friend who has climbed all the Munros and most of the Corbetts says if you make the decision to turn back because you're out of your comfort zone it is always the right decision. I've had a few attempts on hills before finally reaching the summit but in no way did I consider those wasted efforts. But I wouldn't claim I'd 'bagged' them unless I'd reached the cairn as I know that's the accepted rule. I mean who are we fooling but ourselves if we claim what isn't the case? This whole site is based on honesty and when on the odd occasion someone gets a bit carried away with their claims there is a tendency for it to come back and bite them! :?
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:40 pm

Completely agree that you did the right thing in turning round - I've done the same in similar conditions - and then felt like a right scardy cat because I did (I backed out of scrambling up some ice covered rocks with no crampons) . Since then I've slipped in much more benign conditions and broken an arm - so I guess the safe call is always the right call.

As for counting it as bagged - well I'm still due another trip up An Caisteal :? :?
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby 2dalmatians » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:10 pm

Some interesting comments. Thanks everybody :) Maybe we should install a time and attendance system on each cairn or even biometrics - fingerprint/ retina/ earlobe recognition!!! Maybe we could even link that to to the walk reports - all the stats generated automatically, ascent, time, km!!!! No more white lies and.....no swipe no blue triangle on your map!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I love it.......but I will probably still go back and do this one again 8) :lol: 8) !!!
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Jockstar » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:51 pm

Great debate going on here, which is very healthy especially for those new to the hills and what we expect to do when we are climbing this great country of ours! I like to think that it's the taking part that makes the day but I am competive as most and see the only true result is standing on the top..... :D However, I also truly enjoy the whole day and the time to look around and see, hear and smell the Highlands and wildlife of Scotland. To make it a race and to ignore safety is dangerous and the only true decision is one that could save your life. We can always go back to try another day, perhaps from a different approach and then enjoy even more the aspects of the hill. As they said on Hill Street Blues - Be careful out there!! :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby rickp » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:00 pm

They are not blue triangles,they are upside down teardrops!!!
rickp
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   

Postby rockhopper » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:39 pm

Ah well, at least you got some good views and photos of the day :thumbup: No comments from me on the summit/non summit issue - in the end it's between you and your munro map and the fact that you raised it yourself suggests you have your doubts; I'm certainly not the best person to ask about not going on in the worst of conditions ! :shock:

If/when you do go back, you could always vary the route a bit, eg include a neighbouring munro such as Creag Mhor or return via the two neighbouring corbetts, Cam Chreag and Beinn Chaorach ? cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby 2dalmatians » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:45 pm

Rockhopper, I think you have been trained by the Vietnam cong, KGB or perhaps the Klingon mind masters!!! Be gone with your weak, vile and subversive thoughts!! :lol:
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby jonny616 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:36 am

Great stuff 2D. Did you enjoy yourself? Tick! Was the weather good giving stunning views? Tick! Did you get some great photos? Tick! 8) 8) 8)
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby jwramsay » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:39 pm

I turned round on the same mountain today. I've had this terrible cough all week at work and thought that I could tackle a hill today (look at the weather!).

I got 1800 feet up, just after you get a glimpse of the snow covered tops, I decided to call it a day and headed back, after all it'll be there another day. My companion Peter continues to the top without me slowing him down.

Anyway, i got some good photos, will do a trip report tomorrow.
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:34 pm

The right call was made on this one 2D,been in this situation myself on more than once,turning back if I dont feel right,dont get me wrong it does you good to push the bounderies and get out your comfort zone,what some people feel comforable with other people cant handle,thats why you try and push the boundries where possible.

As for giving this one a tick,in my opinon,sorry you need to go back,if you play golf & get back into the clubhouse & mark a 75 on your card & took 76 is that right,if you play football & score 20 goals in a season but tell people you scored 21 or 22 is that right,I could go on & on,the only person you are cheating is yourself.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Bod » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:52 pm

Well done! Great report and debate here. For me you had another wonderful day in the mountains and you 'bagged' the south top (a munro top), the summit awaits for another day :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby Grumpy Old Man » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:36 pm

I feel a bit better - having missed out on the last bit of Marsco - or 'Almost Marsco' as we now call it! - at Easter..

As an unfit 50-something who walks (as in long/ hills) about once every two years I was reasonably pleased. 14 year old son was happy to carry on but, thankfully, didn't mock his dad too much!

Great walk, brilliant 'father and son' time, tremendous views and very wet!

Grumpy Old Man

Munros:1   

Postby gman » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:07 pm

Looks like you had a great day for it, and well done for making a difficult decision. You'll have to go back for this one - the walk along the wee ridge at the end is the best bit!
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland