walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Love, peace & bananas!

Love, peace & bananas!

Postby jonny616 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:05 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Ghlò

Munros included on this walk: Bràigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain, Càrn Liath (Beinn a' Ghlò), Càrn nan Gabhar

Date walked: 24/04/2012

Time taken: 11 hours

Distance: 22.4 km

Ascent: 1239m

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Mid week sneaky peak time again. Polly, Andy & I headed to Blair Atholl to take on Beinn a Ghlo. MWIS giving us 40% chance of cloud free & promised every kind of weather imaginable.
First hurdle once we had found Loch Moraig was moving the locals along as they were blocking our route. Once Andy had successfully shoo shooed them away we headed up the track. The old bits of corrugated hut are now completely gone, but a wooden hut & a stile are still there. The ground across to the base of Carn Liath is quite marshy & some hopping was required. Once at the stone wall it improves somewhat & leads to the fairly hard pull up the scared path that you can see from the car. At this point we could see all around us as we were below the cloud although the remainder of the massif came & went. Trig point or cairn? Cairn looks higher, but photos at both just in case. Much fun with trying to stand on the trig. The route to the next Munro is straight forward & we could see the path going up it, but it looks like a big drop down from where you are. In reality you do not lose much height. From the bealach there is also a path that takes you back to the track, if you only wanted to do the one.
The odd snow flurry came & went on the ascent of Braigh Coire Chuinn bhalgain limiting visibility, but we were still below the cloud.
The wind got up a bit on the summit ridge while we were looking for a sheltered spot for lunch. No shelter to be had so summit photos & on we went. Andy then commented that he did not much fancy the front coming our way & bam pea sized hailstones straight in the moosh. As well as sore it was inconvenient timing because we needed to take a right of the broad ridge. Once down a bit we concluded that we had gone slightly too far along before dropping down. This turned out to be a bonus as we now had a sheltered spot for lunch. While dinning the cloud lifted & a very snowy Carn Nan Gabhar came into view. We could almost make out the rising traverse path that takes you to the summit ridge & one going directly up to the top of Airgiod Bheinn although it looked quite dicey. Once off the traverse & onto the summit ridge there is a wee rise & then the first cairn is revealed, followed by the trig point & beyond that the second cairn which is actually the true summit by 1 meter. The cloud stayed high & we could see the other summits & most of the ridges. We made a fairly swift descent back down to the bealach following a near miss with a banana case & some glissading. The walk out is legendary already, but please god ‘a good stalkers path’ who are you kidding. 11k, most of it with one foot in boggy stuff, not the sort that you would sink up to your waist in, the other stumbling over lumpy heather. Once you traverse around Beinn Bheag you spend an age traversing Carn Liath. At one point the path splits. The left hand for looks like it is quicker to the track, but the track heads out to a farm in the wrong direction before coming back on itself. We took the right hand path which continues straight ahead until you hit the track & eventually pass the wooden hut on your way back to Loch Moraig.
The route across the hills is great & I think if I were doing this again I would rather walk back over them even if it adds 600 meters of ascent as always hindsight is a wonderful thing
Another great day in the hills.
DSC03281.JPG
Carn Liath & the locals
DSC03286.JPG
Path from the track
DSC03290.JPG
Loch Moraig from the ascent
DSC03291.JPG
Ridge to the summit of Carn Liath
DSC03293.JPG
Summit trig. Camera perched on the true summit cairn
DSC03314.JPG
The ridge to Braigh Coire Chruinn bhalgain
DSC03317.JPG
Looking back to Carn Liath
DSC03320.JPG
Path to Braigh CCB
DSC03323.JPG
Back to Carn Liath
DSC03325.JPG
Snow time
DSC03327.JPG
Summit Braigh Coire Chruinn bhalgain
DSC03332.JPG
Carn Liath
DSC03333.JPG
Carn nan Gabhar
andy pic 1.jpg
Dropping down to the bealach
DSC03337.JPG
Ridge to Carn nan Gabhar, looking towards Airgod Bheinn
DSC03341.JPG
Beinn a Ghlo three from summit cairn of Carn nan Gabhar
DSC03344.JPG
DSC03350.JPG
Summit Carn nan Gabhar
DSC03357.JPG
The way home. Only 11K from here!
DSC03362.JPG
DSC03364.JPG
The good stalkers path!!!!!!
DSC03365.JPG
Beinn Dhearg & Carn a Chalamain
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Re: Love, peace & bananas!

Postby quoman » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:26 pm

Hi Jonny.good report you got more views than i did....and as for the great stalkers path a pure bogtrot i thought it would never end.well done
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby ChrisW » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:46 pm

Another cracker Jonny but what is with the banana about to be shoved where the sun don't shine :shock: I went back and read the report again but there's just not enough info to know what's going on there :lol: Love the photos, the 'Snow Time' one really catches the fun of hiking in a squally snow shower well :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby pigeon » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:12 pm

Must be somethin' about these hills jonny.Had a real 4 seasons in one day on these last may sun,snow ,hail and wind :lol: :lol:
048.JPG
046.JPG
054.JPG
.....and as for that walk out :( :( :( Soaked ,frozen ,muddy but still loved it :lol:
Well done guys,good report :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby morag1 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:41 pm

Wow Johnny, thats you storming your way round the Munros, feel sure you are going to compleat 8)

I understand about the banana, but where does the love and peace bit come into it :think:
morag1

Postby jonny616 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:02 pm

morag1 wrote:I understand about the banana, but where does the love and peace bit come into it :think:

Its a song by a band i used to follow. Dr & the Medics. :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Postby morag1 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:06 pm

Never thought about that, sorry to be so thick :oops:

Not sure what Polly's about to do with that banana, but hey, each to his own :shh:
morag1

Postby Jock McJock » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:42 pm

Looks like a cracking day Jonny, really sorry I missed this one. Not sorry I missed the banana episode, some things should be kept behind closed doors :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: Although Andy did say it only hurts for the first few seconds :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby tomyboy73 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:57 pm

well done on another 3 Johnny, now were can i get a job with a weekday off ???
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:185   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:00 pm

I remember when I had climbed more hills than you,you need to get a job so I can catch up m8,looks like you all had fun(well polly & andy anyway)
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby 2dalmatians » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:10 pm

Cracking report Jonny, you are sure bagging a lot at the moment! lovethe snow ridge picture too! :D
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby rockhopper » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:13 pm

It's great seeing the twisting ridge at the top but certainly a long walk back - despite that, not sure I'd want to go back over the tops to avoid it ! A bit envious - think it'll be a wee while before I'm back out - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:29 am

ANOTHER enjoyable report Jonny!!!

What an amazing day out!!! It had it all and a wee bit more!!! :lol: :lol:

NB folks don't worry about the banana, it was in its own protective case- can never be too careful!!! :lol: :lol:

Thanks for looking after me again your highness :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:07 pm

Another great report and photos with your mid week sneaky peak members :thumbup:

You seem to be completing munros at a rate of knots, are you aiming to get them all done this year?? :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby jonny616 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:52 pm

Cheers all for the comments 8)
jonny616
Munro compleatist

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland