walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sunshine on the Cairngorm plateau

Sunshine on the Cairngorm plateau

Postby gaffr » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:35 am

Route description: Ben Macdui and Cairngorm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Macdui

Date walked: 29/04/2012

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My Sunday walk took me out to Ben Macdui in glorious sunshine. From the Cas carpark I headed out to the broad ridge left of the so called Lurchers gully to gain the high ground.
1 Lochan HPIM5917.jpg
Heading for 1083 with a view of the Cairn Lochan cliffs.
2 skining towards Macdui HPIM5922.jpg
A skier skinning his way towards Macdui.
3 Macdui top HPIM5919.jpg
Not many walkers around today. Mostly skiers on the summit some of whom were about to make their way towards Beinn Mheadhoin.
The rain that fell on the lower ground for most of the week came as snow above 800 metres and cllected in great quantities on the plateau.
4 HPIM5937.jpg
Climbers reaching the upper section on their climb out of Coire an t-Sneachda.
5 HPIM5945.jpg
The joy of ending on the plateau.
6 HPIM5948.jpg
Not more than a few metres away a skier side slips his way into the exit from Aladdins couloir to descend to the coire floor.
7 HPIM5953.jpg
Preparations done, he is now hopping over the flute of snow to drop into the main part of the gully.
8 HPIM5955.jpg
Tracks and skiers signatures all over the plateau.
9 HPIM5957.jpg
A snowshoer making his way to the cairn at .1141.
10 HPIM5964.jpg
The walk down from .1141 to the ski area. The several descents possible from. the summit of Cairngorm looked almost pisted owing to the sheer passage of the many skiers walking up to the top to ski off-piste.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Re: Sunshine on the Cairngorm plateau

Postby monty » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:22 am

Excellent Gaffr. I have concentrated this early year to bag lots of munros at the expense of touring skiing. So your pictures make me mad :lol: :lol: Not to worry there is always next year. :D
monty

Postby davetherave » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:36 pm

Gaffr,

Lovely pics you got for your Sunday jolly. Looks like you had a smashing day for it.
We made it out this weekend, we were seeking the comforts of corriemor bothy. I will report sometime soon on probably our best winter experience to date.

Thanks again for your cairngorm report.

Dave
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby PeteR » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:29 pm

Really enjoyed this :D Some stunning pictures :D Not sure I'd be skiing down a gully though :lol: Certainly made for a good photo though :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland