walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Challum - my first report.

Ben Challum - my first report.

Postby Banditman » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:37 pm

Route description: Ben Challum, near Tyndrum

Munros included on this walk: Ben Challum

Date walked: 30/04/2012

Time taken: 5.3 hours

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 912m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well here goes for my first report!
The weather on Sunday was magical, even as soon as you walked away from the car there was something fine to look at.

DSC01034.JPG
Ben More and Stob Binnien from the lay by.
DSC01057.JPG
Cruach Ardrain from the wooden bridge

I was a happy man ambling up the hillside in the sunshine taking in the fantastic views all around me. I don't think I'd ever had as good a view of the hills around that area...and I wasn't even half way up at that point. Then came the bogs! They've been mentioned in a few reports so I won't drone on about them but gaitors are I must on this walk I think.

DSC01111.JPG
View towards the south top from mid-bog!

Leaving the wetlands behind, the path steepened as I approached the south top. I was completely bowled over when I walked over the rise to have a view all around as far as my eyes could see. Superb!.

DSC01168.JPG
Towards the summit
DSC01150.JPG
Looking back towards Ben More
DSC01159.JPG
Ben Lui group
DSC01181.JPG
Looking along the ridge

I had a plod across the ridge through the crusty snow briefly stopping to talk to a fella that was planning to do the West Highland way in one go for charity. Hat's off..I'm worried about completing it in 8 days :lol:

DSC01195.JPG
Looking back at south top

and up to the summit where I spent the most pleasant half hour in complete silence sitting by the cairn myself no-one else in sight.
It's great to stop and have a chat with folk on the hills but I must admit having this spot to myself for a short time was fantastic. 8)

DSC01217.JPG
Me at the top!

After a lovely wee spot of tea and a bit of birthday cake left over from the day before I started on my way back down. All the way down I passed folk trudging up and remembering how depressing it was going through the bogs it was nice to be able to pass on the info about the view at the top to try and encourage the weary looking ones to keep going. :)
I also found out whilst picking a way back down through the marshes that I could have been a match for any body poppers out there. You know the feeling. No warning......one foot slides......poles fly everywhere like you've just been shot...you do your Lee Evans impersonation and then it's all over..only to go through the same thing 5 minutes later.... :lol:

pano1.jpg
Panoramic looking south

That behind me it was a pleasant walk back down through the farm to arrive back at the car with soaking backside, burnt napper but a huge grin on my face! :lol:
Bring on next weekend. :D

I've only used a small compact camera so I'd appreciate some feedback on what camera gear folk carry with them to take the superb shots you see on the site.

Cheers for now!
Banditman
Scrambler

Munros:263   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:11

Re: Ben Challum - my first report.

Postby kevsbald » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:59 pm

Feedback - please post another report. Good stuff.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby 2dalmatians » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:01 pm

A cracking first report there bandit man. I hope you get weather like that on every trip. :D How was the walk along from the south top ? I turned back last week as I didn't fancy it without axe or spikes on.
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2

Postby soulminer » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:08 pm

A fine first report 8)
We have all been there, standing up one minute-then t*ts over tonsils the next- a right bugger the mud ain't it :lol: Cheers for posting.
soulminer

Postby Euan McIntosh » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:19 pm

Great report, we were out the same day and met you so nice to see your report here.
Euan McIntosh
Mountaineer

Munros:259   Corbetts:18
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:9

Postby Bod » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:49 pm

Yep, great stuff! :D
I particularly enjoyed the views towards Ben Lui from this walk in the earlier stages and a rest sitting on the link between the two summits looking westwards and down into the valley below :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby PeteR » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:18 pm

Excellent first report :D A good hill this one, especially with some snow on it. And you captured some great photos there too :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby mrssanta » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:47 pm

Happy Birthday to whoever the cake was made for. :lol: :clap:
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Banditman » Tue May 01, 2012 8:33 am

2dalmatians wrote:A cracking first report there bandit man. I hope you get weather like that on every trip. :D How was the walk along from the south top ? I turned back last week as I didn't fancy it without axe or spikes on.

Thanks very much. :) Walk along the ridge was fine. Snow was solid and going was made easier by the footsteps already there. No wind also makes you feel a lot more secure. :)
Banditman
Scrambler

Postby Banditman » Tue May 01, 2012 8:38 am

mrssanta wrote:Happy Birthday to whoever the cake was made for. :lol: :clap:

That would have been me mrssanta. :D They seem to be coming thick and fast now that I'm the wrong side of 40!
Banditman
Scrambler

Postby shuggyd » Tue May 01, 2012 9:58 am

Well done Grumps, great stuff. Would have liked to have been there to have seen the break dancing, and many happy returns!
shuggyd
Munro compleatist

Munros:7   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Banditman » Tue May 01, 2012 10:08 am

shuggyd wrote:Well done Grumps, great stuff. Would have liked to have been there to have seen the break dancing, and many happy returns!

:lol: Mr Craig....is that you ya sly dog? Sneaky. :D Cheers for the comments.
Banditman
Scrambler

Postby gaffr » Sun May 06, 2012 9:27 am

Hello,
Good to see my GPS/PC adviser out on the hills. :lol: Have not been in the area of the Challum for a while....it's a good viewing platform on a clear day.
Still having a problem with the GPS exchange file (gps) next to Save as type! :)
As I think I said in summer time I don't do a great deal with the Garmin. It's next winter that I'll have to get prepared for. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby jimandandrea » Sun May 06, 2012 12:42 pm

Grand report. Alas when we did Challum we saw a lot of the white stuff and little else good to see the views and the blue stuff above as well. Cheers. :D :D
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Jock McJock » Sun May 06, 2012 3:25 pm

Nice report Banditman :D Done this one in January when there was a wee bit more snow around and the wind nearly blew me off the top, couldn't have a nice wee sit at the top like you :lol: As for your pics, I think they're great. I usually just use a wee compact myself and they usually do the job. Recently started using a bridge camera but it's a trade off between small, light and compact and carrying something bigger and heavier to get better pics. Look forward to more eports :D
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland