walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lomond - A sparkling day & our first Munro

Ben Lomond - A sparkling day & our first Munro

Postby jaybee » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:03 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 29/04/2012

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I realise that our walk to the top of Ben Lomond will not be the epic walking that some will have enjoyed this weekend but for us it was our graduation from smaller hills to our first Munro.
We have bagged Ben Venue, Cleuch and Ledi, gradually increasing the height until this weekend when it was Ben Lomond for us.
We decided to reverse the WH route on the basis that climbing up is easier than climbing down. So an early drive saw us eating breakfast in the car park at Rowarrdenan. (still no charge to park at the moment, a definite bonus) We set off in the opposite direction to most of the other walkers and enjoyed the well-made but quieter path up towards Ptarmigan. The views back down across Loch Lomond were stunning.

001_2_3Enhancer copy.jpg
View from our coffee stop half way up

I liked the way that the path zigged and zagged when it got steep. Just above the small lochan we met the snowline. No problem in side-stepping the snow until we met the final steep scramble to the summit. Under “normal” conditions this would be an interesting scramble. Today the new snow, old snow and ice compacted amongst the rocks made for a challenging last 100 feet of climbing. Heaving ourselves over the final rocks onto the summit was like arriving in a different world!
Probably surprised a few people who were dangling their legs over the NW ridge with no view of us until we suddenly appeared in their midst.
The weather was clear and we could see for miles and miles. Snow capped mountains in all directions, some of which I have my eye on for future walks.

022_3_4Enhancer copy.jpg
View from summit

There was a great crowd of people on the summit so we took a few photos of the amazing views and headed off down the main track to find some peace, quiet and shelter for lunch.

037_8_9Enhancer copy.jpg

043_4_5Enhancer copy.jpg

Followed the seemingly never-ending track back to the car. It sometimes felt as if we would never get there. Glad that we decided to go up via Ptarmigan. Many people were still coming up the hill, not sure that all of them would make it to the top but they all looked to be enjoying themselves.
Feet and legs glad to be back at the car. A cool drink by the loch and we were done.

The title – everything on this hill sparkled today. Not least the rocks – does anyone know what they are?
It was like walking amongst silver, bronze and gold. Sparkling rocks, soil, snow and lochs. Just a perfect day for our first Munro. :D It certainly won’t be our last.
jaybee
Mountain Walker

Munros:9   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   Donalds:2

Re: Ben Lomond - A sparkling day & our first Munro

Postby Jock McJock » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:32 pm

Well done jaybee. This was my first Munro too. Done it twice now but never been up the ridge, need to sort that soon. Your pics are great too, you got a cracking day for it. Now you've got the bug :D Get yourself over to Arrochar, some nice wee hills in there too.
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Sarah86 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:50 pm

It looks like you had a perfect day for your first munro, your photos are stunning and what fantastic views you had.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Postby mountain thyme » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:30 pm

cracking pics... didnt see a thing when i did this one
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby ScottishLeaf » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:38 pm

This was also my first munro. but you had a much, much better day than I did for it.
Like Jock says, get over to Arrochar and do some of the Alps, they are all good fun with tremendous views and not too difficult.
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Postby meangarry » Tue May 01, 2012 1:22 am

Excellent pics! I hope to do this at the end of the month and as I'm going to a wedding at Cameron House I'll be wearing a hired kilt. Haha. Good luck to anyone below me if I have to scramble any steep bits. I'll prob do this route, thanks! :D
meangarry

Munros:29   Corbetts:19
Fionas:15   Donalds:60
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:23   

Postby jaybee » Tue May 01, 2012 9:37 pm

Thanks all for your kind comments and suggestions for the next attempt.
I have had my eyes on The Cobbler for some time now so we may well head in that direction when we are next out. :)

I can't take any credit for the photos - my husband takes the ones that are good enough for the report. Mine are generally pretty poor but I keep trying.

Really looking forward to Munro no 2 whichever one we choose.
jaybee
Mountain Walker

Postby RicKamila » Tue May 01, 2012 9:40 pm

Great report. Please enter that first photo in the photo competition. It is stunning and eligible for comp #4.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby Fudgie » Wed May 02, 2012 11:26 am

Fantastic pictures and I'm glad that you got such great weather for you fist Munro. I bet you can't wait for the next one :lol:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby Steve B » Wed May 02, 2012 1:15 pm

Well done on your first Munro :clap:
I think the route you took is the best way up. The views are great and the path is not too manufactured.
Great pictures also, look forward to seeing the next ones.
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Postby jonny616 » Wed May 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Well done on your first & clear too! From now on its into the clag my friends :lol: :lol: :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby jmarkb » Wed May 02, 2012 5:31 pm

Well done: hope it's the first of many for you! :D

The sparkling rocks are mica schist: http://geology.about.com/od/rocks/ig/metrockindex/rocpicschist.htm
It's fairly common throughout the southern and western Highlands, and sometimes contains small reddish-purple garnets.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby monty » Wed May 02, 2012 6:37 pm

Superb Jaybee. The photos are exceptional. Well done on bagging your first munro. :D
monty

Postby mrssanta » Wed May 02, 2012 6:40 pm

these are really lovely pictures and a day to remember.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby jaybee » Wed May 02, 2012 6:41 pm

jmarkb wrote:Well done: hope it's the first of many for you! :D

The sparkling rocks are mica schist: http://geology.about.com/od/rocks/ig/metrockindex/rocpicschist.htm
It's fairly common throughout the southern and western Highlands, and sometimes contains small reddish-purple garnets.

Thanks jmarkb; have taken at quick look at the link you provided. The sparkle from the sun hitting them on Sunday was just wonderful. Didn't spot any garnets though!
jaybee
Mountain Walker

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland