walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Etive cracker

Glen Etive cracker

Postby pigeon » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:11 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn nan Aighenan, Ben Starav, Glas Bheinn Mhòr

Date walked: 29/04/2012

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 19.4 km

Ascent: 1935m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ben Starav,had been thinking of this one and the two near by munro's for a while but having been in Glen Etive recently to climb Albannaich and meall nan Eun on a misty wet day had wanted to bide our time for a good forecast.Sunday was it,90% per cent chance of cloud free tops so we were on,a reduced crew of 2,(me and big Jim)set of early and were walking for just after 8.
002.JPG
1st target Starav
002.JPG
1st target Starav
003.JPG
011.JPG
It's a long pull up Ben Starav but i expected it to be worse than it was,we paced ourselves,taking wee breathers every now and then ,enjoyed great views the higher we got and made the top in about 2 and a half hours.
017.JPG
big man working up a sweat
018.JPG
starav top becomes clear
024.JPG
wee breather before last pull
027.JPG
jim on starav ,cruachan in the background
Just short of the top we bumped into Walkhighlands regular Soulminer.Had a good wee blether with him,think he said that was his 100th munro on his second round and his last munro on his first round and he was heading down to pitch his tent and then walk up Beinn Trilleachan.Respect due to that man :thumbup: ,Anyway,great views on starav but no hanging about ,it was pretty cold in the wind so set off towards the wee arete taking our time on a wee slippy icy bit before finding a sheltered spot for a bite.
028.JPG
down loch etive
044.JPG
taking our time on this bit
046.JPG
beinn nan aighenan
Next target beinn nan aighenan didn't look that far away so we headed down dumped the bags behind some rocks and began the climb.This was the hardest part of the day for me,quite a bit of height was lost between the 2 hills and i was well glad to reach the top,a great viewpoint this.
050.JPG
nice wee arete
070.JPG
much relief on glas beinn mhor
Back down to re-claim the bags then the climb up to meall nan tri tighearnan,beggining to tire a bit now and the last push up glas beinn mhor was tough but we got there eventually and sat for a wee while before heading down the glen finding a nice spot for the soup.
054.JPG
at last beinn nan aighenan
059.JPG
the ben
062.JPG
cruachan hills from beinn nan aighenan
071.JPG
jim takes a snooze with starav in the background
An enjoyable walk back,talking about how much we love a cool beer and got back to the car in 9 hours dead.A note was under the wiper on jim's motor "LOOK UNDER THE WHEEL -FROM KEV",and there they were, 2 bottles of stella.Kev had been out in his camper van with the missus ,spotted jim's motor and left a wee treat for the thirsty walkers,best bottle of beer ever that's for sure :lol: :lol: :lol: .
073.JPG
stob coir an albannaich
076.JPG
078.JPG
A great day,maybe the best equal yet,tough but great weather and good crack,rounded off with a couple of swift drinks in the kingshouse.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

079.JPG
Cheers mr and mrs Reynolds
Last edited by pigeon on Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Re: Glen Etive cracker

Postby soulminer » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:40 pm

Not only did we meet, we were parked next door as well :lol: Mines was the green Chevvy Estate with the 'Collie on board' sticker :) Certainly got a whole heap warmer as the day wore on, the beers would have chilled you both out !
soulminer

Postby Gavin99 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:48 pm

Lovely stuff , looking forward to these soon , what a treat that Stella must have been , very well deserved :D
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:79   Donalds:71
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby tamw51 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:53 pm

What a day you's had, i was down in the borders and had no idea the weather was so good up north! bet that was a sweet tasting stella, well earned nice one! :D
tamw51
Rambler

Munros:155   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:12 pm

Brillllllllllllliant Pigeon!!!!

These are the best photos I have seen of these hills. They have really helped me visualise what to expect when I get round to taking them on :lol:

Can't believe how jammy you were finding two beers at your car :D :D

Loved this report and will be hopefully be consulting it soon 8)

P XX
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby PeteR » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:06 pm

Excellent stuff pigeon :D Especially on getting the three done in one trip. I found the two of Starav and GBM enough for me. And as has already been said, great photos to boot :D

Not bad to find two beers when you returned either :D Can't think of a better way to end a walk 8)
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Bod » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:13 pm

Superb guys, well walked........I'm fancying a beer now too! :lol:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby pigeon » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:24 pm

Bod wrote:Superb guys, well walked........I'm fancying a beer now too! :lol:
PeteR wrote:Excellent stuff pigeon :D Especially on getting the three done in one trip. I found the two of Starav and GBM enough for me. And as has already been said, great photos to boot :D

Not bad to find two beers when you returned either :D Can't think of a better way to end a walk 8)
Gavin99 wrote:Lovely stuff , looking forward to these soon , what a treat that Stella must have been , very well deserved :D
tamw51 wrote:What a day you's had, i was down in the borders and had no idea the weather was so good up north! bet that was a sweet tasting stella, well earned nice one! :D
Aye thought the note on the window was someone moaning about the parking or somethin',a rare treat indeed :lol: :lol:
pollyh33 wrote:Brillllllllllllliant Pigeon!!!!

These are the best photos I have seen of these hills. They have really helped me visualise what to expect when I get round to taking them on :lol:

Can't believe how jammy you were finding two beers at your car :D :D

Loved this report and will be hopefully be consulting it soon 8)

P XX
It's a great hike polly and in that weather even someone as hopeless as me with the camera could get a decent pic or 2 :lol: :lol: You should check out Soulminer's report ,his photies are top drawer :D
soulminer wrote:Not only did we meet, we were parked next door as well :lol: Mines was the green Chevvy Estate with the 'Collie on board' sticker :) Certainly got a whole heap warmer as the day wore on, the beers would have chilled you both out !
The early bird gets the good parking spot SM :lol: :lol: just as well it was pretty busy up there later on,hope you enjoyed your camp,braw day for it :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby mrssanta » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:55 pm

Great stuff Pigeon. we did these three in one go but didn't have the sense to dump the bags. Beinn nan aighenan was a hard slog.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby 2dalmatians » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:58 pm

Love it pigeon, and the last pic is a cracker...I'm off to check the fridge now :lol: :lol:
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Sarah86 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:58 pm

I love Glen Etive but not quite ready for the munros in that direction! Lovely to see the views from up there, really stunning.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby ScottishLeaf » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:32 pm

Looks like you had the same weather we did on Ben Vorlich (LL) on Sunday, felt like we could see half the hills in Scotland, I'm sure Starav was one of them.. :lol:
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Postby Frigate » Tue May 01, 2012 12:30 am

Some times you've just got to look after the boys. After a scorching weekend 8) in Oban/Ledaig decided to return home via Ballachulish and Glencoe, with a little wander down Glen Etive to check some spots for wild camping. Had a nice cup of tea parked up next to Jim's car and spent sometime looking at the tops with the old Binos :sick:
Then headed up to the Kingshouse for a late lunch :D
P1000885.JPG
Little and large but we have the fridge

P1000886.JPG
Mrs R had no soup, will this do?

P1000865.JPG
One for the future Ben More of Mull

P1000883.JPG
Nice being a tourist

Legs and beer ready for Kintail, including my naff green boots.
Frigate
Munro compleatist

Munros:137   Corbetts:12
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:9
Islands:12

Postby jonny616 » Tue May 01, 2012 11:08 am

Lucky buggers. Well done on the three. I missed BaA when i did the two had had to trudge back out there on me own :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Mountainlove » Tue May 01, 2012 12:15 pm

wow what a day! Makes me want to go back and do them again! Hopefully we are all in for agood May! Hills in conditions like that are just amazing!!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland