walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn Bhac, Beinn Lutharn Mhor ( An Sochach )

Carn Bhac, Beinn Lutharn Mhor ( An Sochach )

Postby davetherave » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:01 pm

Route description: Beinn Iutharn Mhòr and Càrn Bhac, Inverey

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Iutharn Mhòr, Càrn Bhac

Date walked: 26/10/2009

Time taken: 11 hours

Distance: 31 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date. 25th October 2009
Completed by. Dave, Julie and Wilson
Weather heavy rains all day poor visibility
Time. 11 1/4 hrs

Carn Bhac, Beinn Lutharn Mhor and An Socach

Starting from Inverey

test.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

With the clocks changing this weekend this walk was always going to be a tall order due to the lack of daylight. On top of that the conditions were very poor and once past the ruins of Altanmour lodge the conditions were very boggy and soon made the legs very heavy and reluctant to work.
creag an fhutathais heading south west through glen ey.JPG

beinn lutharn mhor and an socach at the head of glen ey.JPG

Altanour lodge ruins approx 8km up the glen.JPG

Once past the lodge ruins we basically made a bee line for Carn Bhac hugging the north west slopes of Carn Creagach (894) due to the conditions the navigating was a nightmare and I was always getting pulled of my route at one stage I was nearly ½ k of line, so after that it was a case of checking every 10 mins or so. Back on coarse we were now making decent progress in the heavy rain and mist. Final pushes up the final 100 feet and we are on the summit with the cairn shelter in the distance a much welcome sight.

carn bhac summit.JPG

We re-fuel, get out the map and compass and get organised and now we are back on our way, its now 12.30pm and am still hopeful we can complete the round of 3 munros.
We head round the north side of Coire Bhearnaist and then north towards Beinn Lutharn Mhor. A lot of time was getting lost due to the navigating and was now starting to look doubtful if we would manage all hills on our day’s circuit.
Eventually we reach the boulder field/scree about 150 feet short of the summit. Now that was hard going trying to make our way through that in the wet and slippy conditions, but soon we are there we summit on the north east end where we found a wee wee cairn “ I hope this is not the cairn” said the wife.

poor cairn 500 m north east of the summit of beinn lutharn mhor.JPG

We head northwest now to the point marked 1045 on the o/s map. What do we find, NOTHING? Can we assume then that we reached the summit !!
At this stage I want to do An Socach but the wife says no. We carry on in a northeasterly direction for 1km or so it’s now past 3.30pm. The wife’s right with the clocks changing time is against us so we decide to drop into the glen between Beinn Lutharn Mhor and Beinn Lutharn Bheag we drop down into the steep glen keeping above the Allt Beinn Lutharn and soon pick up a faint stalkers path above the burn and make our way down the glen.
looking down glen eye (running out of day light ).JPG

the allt beinn lutharn raging with all the latest rains.JPG

the allt beinn lutharn raging with all the latest rains (1).JPG

Well before the fork in the burn way in the distance I see the sparse pine trees surrounding the Altanour lodge, the rains have subsided and the views are good lower down in the glen, but it has now gone 4.30pm and the dark is looming.
Eventually we reach the lodge 5.25 and its dark still 8k to go……..head torches on and soon we are marching. Took us 1hhr 50 mins in the dark from the Altanmour ruin to the car park.

Another long day with new experiences
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Re: Carn Bhac, Beinn Lutharn Mhor ( An Sochach )

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:44 pm

I squeezed the 3 in earlier in the year but in perfect conditions and during a dry spell and also with BST on my side. A good effort by you both in those conditions anyway I would suggest.

I won't start a GMT/BST debate though as it just gets my blood up :lol:. Suffice to say that it is only October and the weather is still pretty good and yet its dark at 4:30pm :evil:.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:52 am

LeithySuburbs wrote:I won't start a GMT/BST debate though as it just gets my blood up . Suffice to say that it is only October and the weather is still pretty good and yet its dark at 4:30pm

You could just get up earlier ...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby davetherave » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:03 am

Hi LeithySuburbs ,

Would have loved to get the 3 done, but it was not to be. So it looks like we will have to be back here to do An Socach and complete the last of the cairwell hills. Option may be to do the final one from the Baddoch side just off the A93, looks like it may be a good one for us to do in the winter months. With the track coming 5k in from Baddoch the legs should be sufficently worked in before the climb to the summit.
Due to our lack of experience in winter climbing, 1st looks at the o/s map may make this an option for us.

Cheers Dave
davetherave

Postby monty » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:26 am

Geez Dave thats some length of time on the hills. great effort. Shame about the weather though. well done :D
monty

Postby davetherave » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:20 pm

hey monty,
yeah it was a long day for us, but it was still a day in the hills.
Just read your report about the 3 cairnwell hills, that was some effing time even with a dodgy knee 1hr 55 mins, you must be a beast :D :shock:
davetherave

Postby sloosh » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:51 pm

That sounds like a miserable weather day all right and quite a walk to boot! (heh)

An Socach is probably better saved for a better day as it's a nice walk in from Baddoch farm.
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby doogz » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:52 pm

good effort for this time of year and weather....long day in the bogs is better left to deep snow and icy day...lol

wee note its """"I for india "" Beinn Iurtharn Mhor...just info not being a twit troll or other thing you might call me..lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
also i dont think you made the summit its a huge cairn :( :( :(
sorry?!!!!!!!
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=827
its the one marked carn an righ..wow!

sorry to disappoint you after your effort

Cheers

Doogz 8)
doogz

Postby davetherave » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:38 pm

hey Doogz ,

Can you confirm that there is a cairn on the summit of Beinn Lutharn Mhor ? (there was a small pile of stones very small ) when we summited on the north east, so we traversed in a south west direction along the ridge to the 1045 as per the o/s map but we never saw that elusive cairn. "dont really want to do it again" but with An Socach still to do i suppose it will only be a small detour.
What i mean is, that picture marked Carn an Righ, and the one that you are standing upon, you sure it is the cairn on Beinn Lutharn Mhor.
Ive searched for cairn pics of this hill but found nothing !!!!!!!!!! will i really have to do it again..... :( :(

Regards Dave...
davetherave

Postby sloosh » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:47 pm

Actually, looking at your gps track, it looks like you were about 50 metres from the cairn. Do you have to do it again? That's up to you. Looks to me like you were on the summit a few metres from the cairn.
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby doogz » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:56 pm

The pic marked Carn an RIGH is of Carn an righ from the 4ft+ summit cairn on Beinn Iurtharn Mhor.....sorry :(

it is up to you ....only because you asked in your report..did i write back with aphoto ...dont tell julie she might hit you :lol: :lol:

i think you might be at an indicator cairn for something or other

it really is huge as you can see i was on top and is at least 4ft+ high

its a vast plateau when you are up there though ..am at work so cant post the picture i have from carn Bhac toward Beinn Iurtharn Mhor

if you go back see what you feel like from an socach its a tough pull but worth the extra...

We done carn an Righ in a whiteout day and opted due to the snow not to bother with Iurtharn mhor ...phew was i mighty relieved when we went back it would have been a bitch to locate in those conditions ....its just so bloody flat :(

doogz 8)
doogz

Postby davetherave » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:07 pm

Doogz,

ive already mentioned to her only 10 mins ago, thankfully she never clubbed me yet........... but im sure that will change.
your right we did question our selves as soon as we summited, so we traversed the full length along the top in a south west direction but found nothing......... looks like wee will be combining it with An Socach from Baddoch some time in the future.

Much thanks Dave.
davetherave

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland