walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Mor (Rannoch)

Meall Mor (Rannoch)

Postby Sarah86 » Tue May 01, 2012 11:07 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meall Mòr (Rannoch Moor)

Date walked: 29/04/2012

Time taken: 2 hours

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I love the scenery up by Rannoch and Glen Etive and was delighted to discover a small and easy hill in the area. We parked in a small parking bay on the A82 near an iconic tree which looks like it is growing from a large rock. I had read a few reports stating the top could be reached within 30 minutes so assumed it would be an easy walk up, my normal hill walking companion is my sister but on this occasion I had my dad with me who isn't a hill walker, we agreed that if it got too much he would head back to the car and I would continue alone. We set off in the direction of the telephone mast which was an easy stroll following a faint path once we reached here there was no obvious path so we continued to head upwards. It is steeper than it looks but nothing to complain about, we had a few wee breaks on the way up and had reached the top in about 45 minutes. What can I say... WOW, what amazing views for such a short climb. I could have spent hours up there if it hadn't been for the wind but I can't complain as it was dry, clear and the sun was shining. This hill is probably amongst my favourites along with Ben A'an. It took us 2 hours but that was with spending a decent time at the top. Some photos from the day...

One of 3 or 4 cairns

The water was such a vibrant blue

Penny taking in the view

I thought this was lovely but disappointed to see it had been vandalised

Really couldn't get enough of these views

Lots of lovely snow capped mountains

Another cairn

Heading back to the car

She enjoys all her little outings

Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Re: Meall Mor (Rannoch)

Postby Mountainlove » Tue May 01, 2012 6:29 pm

Some lovely photos and it is a great small hill to take some non hillwalking people to! Like the message...a bit sad but lovely!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby soulminer » Tue May 01, 2012 7:16 pm

Your report proves the point- no need to be on the highest of hills- or indeed the longest of walks, in order appreciate your surroundings. You must have filled a Memory card with the pics you took :lol: Penny looked as if she enjoyed it :)
As for the tribute- those crass morons should be proud they stayed on at school, in order to learn how to- at least, spell their names and commit such fine acts of vandalism :thumbdown:
soulminer

Postby Graeme D » Tue May 01, 2012 9:40 pm

WOW!!!!! One word - stunning! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Next time I have a couple of spare hours to kill on Rannoch Moor.......... 8)

Love the memorial (wanton vandalism by some lowlife aside) - "We cast his ashes to roam, over these hills, which he knew, loved and roved so much. We leave him to travel alone.......". Way to go! 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby mrssanta » Wed May 02, 2012 4:14 pm

Gorgeous :D
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Sarah86 » Wed May 02, 2012 10:28 pm

Thank you :) I wont say exactly how many photos I took :lol: I does show you don't need to far far or high to have a really enjoyable walk with breath taking views, even my dad is glad he made to effort rather than sit in the car and wait. Maybe I am naive but I would have thought people who made the effort to visit such a beautiful part of the country and walk a hill were there to appreciate the scenery not vandalise such a lovely tribute to someone, really makes me angry :(
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland