walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bridge Of Orchy - With A Hangover

Bridge Of Orchy - With A Hangover

Postby Magoo82 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:54 pm

Route description: Beinn Dòrain & Beinn an Dòthaidh, Bridge of Orchy

Munros included on this walk: Beinn an Dòthaidh, Beinn Dòrain

Date walked: 29/04/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had over indulged in the water of life on Saturday night and was tempted to call-off this trip when i woke up this morning but i didn't want to let my two mates down so i decedid to go for it, what a trooper!

We were out of Dundee at 8am and set off on our walk from the Bridge Of Orchy Hotel at 10am on the dot.

The walk up to the Bealach was pretty brutal in my hungover state and i think my constant moaning was starting to get on the other lads' nerves :lol:

orchy 001.jpg

Once we were at the bealach i felt we were making progress and my spirits were raised (pardon the pun). We made good time up to the sassenach cairn then onward to the first summit with some cracking views of the nearby snow-dusted mountains.

orchy 002.jpg

orchy 007.jpg

orchy 022.jpg

After a blether with some other walkers (it was a busy hill today) we made for the bealach again briefly using my mapcase as a toboggan :D then my two walking partners began to blaze a trail up Beinn an Dothaidh leaving me to deal with the consequences of last night's excitement. The snow on the ground was making for painful progress.

orchy 009.jpg

The summit was reached with some surprise as we thought it would be further on from the visible top as we were walking - experience has taught me never to be too optimistic with such ideas!

orchy 012.jpg

orchy 013.jpg

Just for the banter we had a wander over to the eastern subsidiary peak before making our descent. (The honest version of that story is that we weren't 100% sure which one was the summit so we opted for the belt and braces approach).

orchy 019.jpg

orchy 020.jpg

Then we beat a hasty retreat and enjoyed a drink sitting at the picnic tables outside the Hotel, although i though £2.20 for a pint of Diet Coke was a little steep (i know, i know - typical Dundonian :lol: )

All in all a very enjoyable day out and a thoroughly effective hangover cure. I thnik i'll probably omit the hangover next time though!
Magoo82
Mountain Walker

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:2   Islands:15

Re: Bridge Of Orchy - With A Hangover

Postby mountain thyme » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:25 pm

definitely best cure for a hangover :)
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Jock McJock » Tue May 01, 2012 4:16 pm

mountain thyme wrote:definitely best cure for a hangover :)

Seconded!! :lol: :lol:

Nice report and well done for not just turning over and going back to sleep :lol:
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby monty » Tue May 01, 2012 6:11 pm

Thats the spirit :lol: Good effort considering the drink the night before :D
monty

Postby Fudgie » Wed May 02, 2012 11:21 am

I've been on the hills once after a few drinks the night before and i really is the best way to sweat it out :lol:

Well done on doing both.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby Banditman » Wed May 02, 2012 1:30 pm

Nice report, Thinking of giving these a go on Sunday or Monday so hopefully I'll get as good conditions as you had there. :) I'll try the whiskey on Saturday night as well just to sample the full experience of your day for myself... :lol:
Banditman
Scrambler

Munros:263   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:11

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland