walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Climb a Mountain Down a Beer. Knoydart Day 2

Climb a Mountain Down a Beer. Knoydart Day 2

Postby mountain thyme » Tue May 01, 2012 11:39 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ladhar Bheinn

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn na Caillich

Date walked: 29/04/2012

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 23 km

Ascent: 1710m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After walking the long track to Luinne Bheinn and back the previous day we all fancied a change of scenery to tackle this munro.

A mountain guide in the bunkhouse had been listening and suggested climbing Ladhar Bheinn and taking in the Corbett Beinn na Caillich.
My alarm went off at 650am and the 3 oldies in my company pretended they didn’t hear it…so I was happy to snooze it until 750am… they needed their rest! :)

Set off at 9am passing the Old Forge Bar up past the generators to reach the track at Mam Uidhe, passing 2 men who commented that I was carrying more in my rucksack than the 3 of us put together! That’s why I was struggling the day before!

Followed the track through the gate and at the forest took a right turn and followed the excellent track over the bridge onto the grassy slopes below Ladhar Bheinn. Followed a faint path north east up to gain the ridge of Ladhar Bheinn. Headed east up nice grassy slopes but found this a slog after walking for 10 hours the previous day. Passed a small trig point and stopped at the next small cairn to admire the fantastic views … the best I have ever seen.
A helicopter hovered above us and gave us a wee wave to our delight.

Few pictures at the top and made the decision which way to go off. Looked at tackling the Corbett Sgurr Coire Choinnichean but decided against it as it looked helluva up and down from here.

Headed along the ridge and north east to Stob a Chiore. This involved a wee scramble which was quite scary as there was still lots of snow and ice at this point.
Some folk were keen to continue along the ridge to Druim a Choire Odhair to admire the views over Barrisdale and nearly reached Barrisdale…. Ahem…

Headed down west after the small scary down climb, dodging the icey craggy slopes towards the Bealach a Choire Odhair.
I was down first as johnny was ensuring that the others took their time to admire the views from the ridge! Or was he heading to Barrisdale Bay to steep his tired feet :D
Had 40 winks whilst awaiting their return.

Headed towards Mullach Li and just before the first Lochan stopped for a breather before ascending Carn Dubh towards the summit of Beinn na Callich. Again sat for 5 before beginning the descent down and then dashing back up for a forgotten summit pic…

Headed down the ridge crossing the Abhainn Bheag to pick up the path back to inverie. Total time. 9 hours 55.
The path stopped right at the Old forge … it would have been rude not to pop in… :?

Enjoyed well deserved drinks outside.. and sampled the local food indoors…Jimmy and I will not say whos miserable right enough when it comes to tipping… all im saying its no the Glaswegians. :(

To sum it all up..........A fantastic walk/ weekend, stunning views all weekend.....couldnt stop taking photos, excellent weather both days... thank you, great company (joking about the oldies.... put me to shame with your fitness levels) and this area is very high up there as one of my favourite places so far.

knoydart april2012 061.jpg

knoydart april2012 062.jpg
ladhar bheinn

knoydart april2012 066.jpg

knoydart april2012 073.jpg

knoydart april2012 075.jpg
282 down... 1 to go

knoydart april2012 077.jpg

knoydart april2012 078.jpg

knoydart april2012 081.jpg
the down climb

knoydart april2012 084.jpg

knoydart april2012 085.jpg

knoydart april2012 086.jpg
come back Jimmy.... youre following the wrong expedition leader!

knoydart april2012 091.jpg
after my 40 winks.... here comes the leader!

knoydart april2012 099.jpg
corbett

knoydart april2012 100.jpg

knoydart april2012 101.jpg
Jc struggles over the deep river

knoydart april2012 103.jpg
down a beer.... cheers

knoydart april2012 104.jpg
pub views
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Climb a Mountain Down a Beer. Knoydart Day 2

Postby Bod » Wed May 02, 2012 12:30 am

A very special weekend MT, fantastic stuff :D :D :D
I will be returning up the Knoydart munros this year, if not next. Was lucky enough to spend a few nights camped in Barrisdale Bay as a school boy in the 80's and we climbed this wonderful mountains. Will follow you over the corbett too me thinks....Had plenty beers in the Old Forge more recent times, but no hills those visits.
Well done to you all, and to yourself enjoy your last Munro and have a wonderful day :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby monty » Wed May 02, 2012 6:54 am

Excellent MT
An amazing journey for you bagging the munros in such a short time bearing in mind its been during weekends and hols. Great weather for these remote munros with great photos and great company. Bet you cant wait for schehallion :-)
monty

Postby KeithS » Wed May 02, 2012 8:21 am

Well done on another great report, also one of my favourite areas.

When do you compleat? I had been planning to keep Schiehallion for my last first Munro ascent, although it is now my last Munro climbed as I changed my mind and did it last November. I've still got a few more to go, now planning on An Teallach for the last one. You must be getting excited :D
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby malky_c » Wed May 02, 2012 1:49 pm

You've saved some classics for the final stretch :D

Would love to have been in Knoydart in these conditions - I haven't had it too bad, but not many days like this...

Good move taking in Beinn na Callaich, as it looks like it's in a spectacular location. I fully intend to do Ladhar Beinn again when I get around to Beinn na Callaich, so will more than likely follow this route.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Jock McJock » Wed May 02, 2012 1:52 pm

Nice one MT :D Some cracking pics there of what looks lie a beautiful wee place. Nearly there eh? Enjoy your last one and have a great day :)
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Alan S » Wed May 02, 2012 2:31 pm

Stunning stuff MT 8) 8)
That pub looks a must for a visit :lol:
All the best on your compleation :D
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby kevsbald » Wed May 02, 2012 2:32 pm

Well done MT - if you don't object, maybe could join you for your last one. I am excited for you.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby mrssanta » Wed May 02, 2012 4:36 pm

when do you plan your last one. very exciting
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed May 02, 2012 7:04 pm

Stunning pictures & a great report MT...................................now here"s a connundrum,is there now not only 282 munro"s,yet you have done 282 & not compleated. :think: :eh: :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby mountain thyme » Wed May 02, 2012 7:46 pm

Bod wrote:A very special weekend MT, fantastic stuff :D :D :D
I will be returning up the Knoydart munros this year, if not next. Was lucky enough to spend a few nights camped in Barrisdale Bay as a school boy in the 80's and we climbed this wonderful mountains. Will follow you over the corbett too me thinks....Had plenty beers in the Old Forge more recent times, but no hills those visits.
Well done to you all, and to yourself enjoy your last Munro and have a wonderful day :D :D :D

Thanks Bod.. truly is a wonderful place

monty wrote:Excellent MT
An amazing journey for you bagging the munros in such a short time bearing in mind its been during weekends and hols. Great weather for these remote munros with great photos and great company. Bet you cant wait for schehallion :-)

cheers monty... it now is a weird feeling as it gets nearer!

Keith Sayliss wrote:Well done on another great report, also one of my favourite areas.

When do you compleat? I had been planning to keep Schiehallion for my last first Munro ascent, although it is now my last Munro climbed as I changed my mind and did it last November. I've still got a few more to go, now planning on An Teallach for the last one. You must be getting excited :D

thanks Keith... sure i think i commented on your meet up..and would have came if i wasnt keeping it for last...it feels strange. 26th May

malky_c wrote:You've saved some classics for the final stretch :D

Would love to have been in Knoydart in these conditions - I haven't had it too bad, but not many days like this...

Good move taking in Beinn na Callaich, as it looks like it's in a spectacular location. I fully intend to do Ladhar Beinn again when I get around to Beinn na Callaich, so will more than likely follow this route.

cheers malky.. it definitely was the best way to do it... the views were spectacular :)
mountain thyme
Walker

Postby mountain thyme » Wed May 02, 2012 7:52 pm

Jock McJock wrote:Nice one MT :D Some cracking pics there of what looks lie a beautiful wee place. Nearly there eh? Enjoy your last one and have a great day :)

Cheers Jock.. the pictures dont give it justice...

alan s wrote:Stunning stuff MT 8) 8)
That pub looks a must for a visit :lol:
All the best on your compleation :D

Thanks Alan.. the pub IS a must... especially the route we took meant we HAD to pass it on the way back...careful planning its called ! :D

kevsbald wrote:Well done MT - if you don't object, maybe could join you for your last one. I am excited for you.

Thanks Kev... Its me and you so far then!! haha.. all my mates have other plans.... so might be soloing my final one! :D
mrssanta wrote:when do you plan your last one. very exciting

26th May... mrssanta

gammy leg walker wrote:Stunning pictures & a great report MT...................................now here"s a connundrum,is there now not only 282 munro"s,yet you have done 282 & not compleated. :think: :eh: :lol:

Thanks GLW...dont think the MCOS have definitely demoted that one at fisherfield yet..... so still one to go :)
mountain thyme
Walker

Postby mgmt! » Wed May 02, 2012 10:47 pm

well done mt, looked like you knocked it off weather wise.
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu May 03, 2012 9:31 am

Cracking report MT and a fair bit of banter in there as well :D It's a shame your fitness level wasn't better as you could have joined us on the ridge tour :lol: It was a brilliant weekend, one of the best i'd say. Cheers from the 3 of us :thumbup:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby mountain thyme » Fri May 04, 2012 7:56 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Cracking report MT and a fair bit of banter in there as well :D It's a shame your fitness level wasn't better as you could have joined us on the ridge tour :lol: It was a brilliant weekend, one of the best i'd say. Cheers from the 3 of us :thumbup:

i know.. i need to work on those fitness levels... thank god schehallions no strenuous! twas a brilliant weekend :D
mountain thyme
Walker

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland