walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Scotland 3-3 Holland

Scotland 3-3 Holland

Postby quoman » Fri May 04, 2012 11:49 am

Route description: Creag Meagaidh circuit

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Liath (Creag Meagaidh), Creag Meagaidh, Stob Poite Coire Àrdair

Date walked: 03/05/2012

Time taken: 7.25 hours

Distance: 21.8 km

Ascent: 1262m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Was mean't to do this walk last week but the weather was utter crap so i didn't get out at all,so the weather was to be very good wednesday/thursday.
So i got up at 5am on thursday left the house at 5.45 and away up the A9 for the 2.15 minute drive followed the Tom Tom satnav.... thats the first time i have used the latitude/longitude settings in it.got to the carpark at 8.00 and there was one other walker getting ready so i said the usual grettings and he replied. I went over to ask where he was from Holland he replied... are you doing the 3 hills i said yes he said so before i could get my stuff on he was of away :lol: well i thought we could have walked together.
DSC02440.JPG
start

My plan was to go up to Carn Liath first but decided to go up to the window the do the walk in a clockwise direction and that was the right decision the walk up to the lochan was superb weather was red hot clear blue skies no wind
DSC02442.JPG
first view of the window
DSC02447.JPG
Jan on the way to the lochan
...the dutch guy was about 200 mtr in front of me most of the way but as i got nearer the lochan i caught him up...he was taking a photo of the crags and when he turned round he jumped out his skin :lol: :lol: when he seen me :lol: anyway he asked me if i wanted to join him for the rest of the walk i said yes but i am going to have some lunch here before i tackle the window
DSC02448.JPG
nice place to have a cup of tea
DSC02452.JPG
ready for the window
DSC02450.JPG
,but away he went saying you will catch me up i sat for 20 mins just soaking in the views i watched Jan going up the window very steep looking and the snow looked slushy
DSC02459.JPG
Jan's on the second bit of snow
... i timed him 40 mins when he disappered over the top so off i set
DSC02460.JPG
me halfway up the window
DSC02463.JPG
the crags
DSC02466.JPG
the top of the window
and it is steep pull up to the bealach the snow wasn't deep but it was slushy had a wee rest before the climb up to Creag Meagaidh straight forwards as i could see the Cairn up to Mad Megs Cairn
DSC02467.JPG
then a wee walk to the first summit
DSC02470.JPG
summit Creag Meagaidh
Jan was still here having his lunch
DSC02473.JPG
summit with Jan
DSC02471.JPG
me on the summit
the veiws were amazing in all directions
DSC02474.JPG
DSC02475.JPG
DSC02477.JPG
had a good blether with Jan he told me he and his wife are here for 5 weeks walking /cycling holiday. They were on Bienn na Lap on tuesday were his wife broke here big toe :shock: so no more walking for her :( :( .He is on 89 munro's and hoping to get to 100 by the 17th of may when they go back to Holland good luck Jan.so the score was Holland 1 Scotland 1...i sat a wee bit longer than Jan.
DSC02478.JPG
Jan setting off back to the window
i had to drag myself of the summit to carry on so away i went
DSC02480.JPG
the ridge for the other two hills
i was back at the bealach in 15 mins to see Jan climding up the path to Stob Poite Coire Ardair
DSC02481.JPG
spot Jan
it is going to be 2-1 to the Dutch in about 10 minutes :lol: the climb up Stob Poite Coire Ardair is no problem as i got to the summit
DSC02485.JPG
summit Stob Poite Coire Ardair
Holland 2 Scotland 2 Jan was on his way across the ridge there was a bigger cairn abot 80 mtr along the ridge so i touched that one to :lol: the ridge walk is pleasant making good time i could see Jan talking to another walker on top of Meall an t-Snaim as i got there Jan went on his way its' going to be 3-2 to the Dutch :evil: i sat and had a blether wi the guy forgot to ask him his name he was from Aberdeen sat for 15mins talking about hills and the WH site i think he is going to join it :lol: with a bit of persuasion from me :lol:by the time i set of Jan had a good head start so i pushed on to see if i could catch him to make it 3-2 to scotland :lol: :lol: but as our football luck goes he scored in the 89 minutes but i equalized in time added on 3-3 all :lol: :lol:
DSC02499.JPG
summit of Carn Liath

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Scotland 3-3 Holland

Postby Graeme D » Fri May 04, 2012 12:52 pm

Looks like it was an excellent, end to end game. 3-3 against the Oranje, even at home, that's a commendable result for the boys! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Fudgie » Fri May 04, 2012 1:04 pm

I never thought I would ever see Scotland with a 3 after it :D

I'm in work missing the good weather so I'm glad to see some people are enjoying it :thumbup:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri May 04, 2012 1:15 pm

Great report Quoman of a great walk especially up to the Lochan. 3-3 eh, couldn't you have done a Munro on the way home to make it 4-3? :lol:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby PeteR » Fri May 04, 2012 1:21 pm

Nice one quoman :D

Sometimes I enjoy the walk on my own and other times company can be just to tonic I need. I guess it all depends on the day, but well done for keeping up with the Dutch given he marched off without you :D

These three are great hills and it's good you had a great day to do them. Some good views from the top :D It can be hard to drag yourself away sometimes, can't it :thumbup:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Tomsie » Fri May 04, 2012 6:25 pm

I think you take it for the report, an away ruling :D
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:167   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby quoman » Fri May 04, 2012 9:57 pm

Graeme D wrote:Looks like it was an excellent, end to end game. 3-3 against the Oranje, even at home, that's a commendable result for the boys! :lol:

It sure was Graeme the dutch don't like getting beat at anything :lol:

Fudgie wrote:I never thought I would ever see Scotland with a 3 after it :D

I'm in work missing the good weather so I'm glad to see some people are enjoying it :thumbup:

Hi Fudgie :lol: :lol: thats me working now for 8 days :( :(

Johnny Corbett wrote:Great report Quoman of a great walk especially up to the Lochan. 3-3 eh, couldn't you have done a Munro on the way home to make it 4-3? :lol:

Cheers Johnny,the walk up is nice when you get a good day....I never seen any hills on the way home :lol: :lol:

PeteR wrote:Nice one quoman :D

Sometimes I enjoy the walk on my own and other times company can be just to tonic I need. I guess it all depends on the day, but well done for keeping up with the Dutch given he marched off without you :D

These three are great hills and it's good you had a great day to do them. Some good views from the top :D It can be hard to drag yourself away sometimes, can't it :thumbup:

Hi Peter....once i caught up with him he started to talk and tell me stories about his alpine climbing and his cycling trips.....they are 3 good hills especially a day like yesterday just wanted to sit at each summit for ages.

Tomsie wrote:I think you take it for the report, an away ruling :D

Hi Tomsie ..I sure do :lol: :lol:
quoman
Mountaineer

Postby ScottishLeaf » Fri May 04, 2012 11:42 pm

Great report Quoman, glad to see you got some of the great weather me and my brother got on Ben Vorlich last weekend. Looks like a great route, especially up by The Window.
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Postby kevsbald » Sat May 05, 2012 8:19 am

Nice one! I'll take a draw anytime!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:274   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby quoman » Sat May 05, 2012 2:53 pm

ScottishLeaf wrote:Great report Quoman, glad to see you got some of the great weather me and my brother got on Ben Vorlich last weekend. Looks like a great route, especially up by The Window.

Cheers SL
The best bit of the walk was the walk up to the window, could have just sat there awe day.

kevsbald wrote:Nice one! I'll take a draw anytime!

Cheers Kev. especially between the Dutch :lol: :lol:
quoman
Mountaineer

Postby morag1 » Sat May 05, 2012 7:33 pm

Just had to read this report - the men in my family still talk about Archie Gemmell's goal :lol:

Well done on bagging another Munro, you're going round them at a cracking pace :D
morag1

Postby Jock McJock » Sat May 05, 2012 7:56 pm

Nice one, had my eye on these for a while, need to get myself up there. Fancy a big circular walk though, rather than up to the window. Up via Carn Liath and out via Puist Coire Ardair. Some great pics :D
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby ChrisW » Sun May 06, 2012 4:33 am

A great entertaining read as always mate, you stick in there making sure those damn foreigners aren't coming over here taking all our hills :lol: Scotland 3 Holland 3 would be well worth watching I reckon....reading about it came a very close second :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Nieuwenhuijzen » Sun May 06, 2012 12:48 pm

My wife and I will be over this summer, so we can take the score in our favor, just after we became European champion great report, i enjoyed reading it and really look forward to our 3 weeks stay in a couple of months. Working hard on the preps now, find it not so easy to decide on which walks to do.
Nieuwenhuijzen
Mountaineer

Postby jonny616 » Sun May 06, 2012 5:00 pm

Great report & pics. Glad you got a good day for it 8)
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland