walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dirrie Mor - Seana Bhraigh - and back.missing our objective

Dirrie Mor - Seana Bhraigh - and back.missing our objective

Postby davetherave » Sat May 05, 2012 6:04 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dearg (Ullapool), Cona' Mheall, Eididh nan Clach Geala, Meall nan Ceapraichean, Seana Bhràigh

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Enaiglair

Fionas included on this walk: Meall Doire Faid

Date walked: 28/04/2012

Time taken: 26 hours

Distance: 52.2 km

Ascent: 3800m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date. Saturday and Sunday 28th and 29th April 2012
Completed by. Dave, Julie, Wilson and Jake
Weather. Great winter conditions
Time. 15 hrs / 11hrs
Distance. 29.2 km / 23 km
Ascent, 2356 m /1443m
Hills.
Munro’s x 5
Corbett’s x 1
Grahams x 1

Beinn Dearg, Cona Mheall, Meall Nan Ceapraichean, Eididh nan Clach Geala and Seana Bhraigh,

Beinn Enaiglair

Meall Doire Faid

Starting from

The Dirre More Pass ( NH 227 764 )

Arrived at the Dirrie Mor Pass Parking Area at approx 9am. Our agenda was to reach the Coriemor bothy. We would take in 7 summits on route, 1 Graham, 1 Corbett and 5 Munros.

This would be a big route at anytime of the year, but this weekend, it would be much tougher because of all the snow that had fallen in the higher reaches of the hills. I had estimated about 12 hrs or under, in actual fact it took us 15hrs or slightly more.

Weather was better than expected, even with the prospect of high pressure. It was great conditions for hiking, made all the better with the winter outlook higher up.

Soon enough we had reached the 712 height on the Graham Meall Doire Faid now all we needed to do was to head NW along the ridge for about 1.5km to reach our 1st summit of the day. Next was the Corbett Beinn Enaiglair. Once we had reached the summit of this Corbett it was clear that the rest of our high level route would be above the snow line until we needed to drop of our last Munro of the day. It really was near perfect conditions, Alpine like…..

Beinn Dearg seemed for long spells to always be in our sights, a pure beast of a hill. We would ascend next to the stone dyke that would lead us to the summit. We really enjoyed Beinn Dearg, but the climb all the way to the summit was a physical and mental drain. The soft snow and heavy over night packs were now starting to take their toll. On reaching the stone dyke it eventually took us near 1.5 hrs to reach the summit.
1 (2).JPG
Beautiful

1 (8).JPG
Graham summit picture

1 (15).JPG
Wilson and Jake on the Corbett summit

1 (23).JPG
Julie heading for Beinn Dearg

1 (26).JPG
nice vantage point

1 (2).JPG
Beautiful

1 (42).JPG
Meall nan Ceapraichean summit, Beinn Dearg Behinf

1 (43).JPG
and again with the gang

1 (49).JPG
getting colder on Eldidh nan clach Geala

1 (55).JPG
Wilson with Seana Bhraigh behind

1 (59).JPG
sun starting to set prior to reaching Seana Bhraigh

It was pitch black long before reaching the burn to the NW of the small loch. The burn was well swollen on arrival, and would have been a nightmare in the dead of night to cross. We decided to head to the SE end and try and cross there so we could spend our night at Coriemor. This was tough going with all the bogs and burns we had to bypass on route. We eventually decided we had no option but to find a pitch and get the tent up. It was gone 1am when we got in our sleeping bags; we had been on the go for 22 hrs. We slept on empty bellies that morning. Hahaha.

We both woke after 9am thankfully we had slept well. The sun was heating the tent nicely. Julie opened the tent door to look across the loch and there it was, that bloody elusive Coriemor Bothy. Really was a shame to get this close only to miss out.

Anyhow by the time we packed and re-fuelled it was gone 11.30am; we were still a long way from the car. We had originally planned on doing the Corbett Carn Ban, the Graham Mheall Choarainn and the Munro Am Faochagach on the way out. We now had to have a re think..

We decided on the steep climb out of the Coire next to Loch Luchd Chaine. This was tough and pretty steep indeed. I had actually thought I had reached the top of the Coire at one stage. I shouted to Julie to stay and I would check it out. I aimed for the gap between 2 crags at the top. When I did reach them my jaw nearly/did drop, I was now looking into the steep craggy Coire next door. I had missed the narrow plateau by probably 50-100 feet, there was nothing to do but climb back down and traverse in a south direction and up a snow scattered Gully ( our original choice ) we eventually reached our destination, the narrow part of Creag an Duine.

We still had a bit of a hike to go, we decided on the shortest option. Heading south we reached Meall Faith na Slataich, We dropped in to Gleann Beag and skimmed the west side of Glenbeg bothy, we then cut slightly west of Meallan nan sac. At this point we ended up on very steep ground above the small loch named Loch Na Still. It took us a long time to make a South traverse onto slightly easier terrain and then down to the above named loch. On reaching the South of Loch Coire Lair we made for Meall Feith Dhiongaig, we passed between the 519 and 535 spot heights. As it was only about 9.30pm we could see the main road and Loch Droma as clear as day. We eventually reach the motor and are ready to go by 10.40pm.
1 (61).JPG
Camp spot . with Bothy over the loch ( shame to miss out )

1 (63).JPG
looking back to bothy and our camp spot.

1 (66).JPG
our escape route. the snow topped gully far right corner

1 (75).JPG
nearly topping out of escape gully. Just before reaching the narrow plateau.... steep......

1 (82).JPG
me and the mutts

1 (90).JPG
Creag an Duine and that narrow plateau

1 (96).JPG
one of many crossings

1 (102).JPG
looking down Glen Beag, with Glenbeg Bothy to the right.

1 (107).JPG
Beinn Dearg and Cona Mheall

1 (110).JPG
final drop into the glen below

1 (113).JPG
looking back to Cona Mheall ?

1 (114).JPG
circular animal holding pen near the foot of Meall Feith Dhiongaig

1 (119).JPG
last views of the day

Work next day was a tough affair; by the time we got home and got showered it was gone 3.30am. The sound of my 6.30am alarm was very unwelcome indeed.
Attachments
1 (34).JPG
Julie near Cona Mheall
1 (31).JPG
Julie,summit pose on Beinn Dearg
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Re: Dirrie Mor - Seana Bhraigh - and back.missing our object

Postby Jock McJock » Sat May 05, 2012 7:27 pm

Brilliant stuff! Hoping to get out for some 2 or 3 day walks myself this year so great to see these kind of reports. Is it just the pics or is Julies pack bigger than yours? :lol: :lol: :lol: Loved the pics too :D
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby soapy27 » Sat May 05, 2012 7:32 pm

That is one epic trip to the hills. great report and amazing photos.
soapy27
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:175
Fionas:23   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:54   
Islands:23

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat May 05, 2012 9:51 pm

Brilliant stuff once again dave.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby gaffr » Sun May 06, 2012 9:06 am

That's quite a wee adventure that you had. I too have been within a stone's throw of both Coiremor and Glenbeg bothies. :) When I came in by cycle from Black Bridge to reach Carn Ban, and when, from the upper part of Strath Mulzie we skirted the loch to reach the Duine ridge for Seana Braigh.....The loch kindof gets in the way! :lol:
The probably know that I come to this sight to find out where the Graham's are situated. :lol: I found the location of another one! :D Coming off Beinn Dearg to reach Braemore junction......that's a very fine piece of terrain when you head over (reverse for you) Iorguill and Eneiglair, dropping down to pick up the path, I was within a couple of hundred metres of Meall Doire Faid. :lol: But then that's my story for many parts of Scotland.....I need another lifetime. :lol:
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Ranger » Sun May 06, 2012 10:13 am

Very interesting report :thumbup:

I spent a freezing February night in Glenbeg bothy, with no fire to warm up having a private rave up to music on my mp3 was the best way to keep warm in the evening! :lol:

Remote, wild lands over that side 8)
Ranger

Munros:282   Corbetts:74
Fionas:13   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Postby kevsbald » Sun May 06, 2012 11:37 am

Living the dream there, folks. Not enough close ups of Wilson though....
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby dooterbang » Sun May 06, 2012 6:11 pm

Cracking report combining many hills.

Nice photo with the 2 dogs.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby mountain thyme » Sun May 06, 2012 7:39 pm

well done on such a long walk..shame about missing the bothy :( nice pics
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby SMRussell » Mon May 07, 2012 1:24 pm

You two seem to love a wild camp. Some great snaps - the pic of Julie heading up Beinn Dearg is grand but obviously "Wilson and Jake on the Corbett summit" is the money shot :D
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby bootsandpaddles » Sun May 13, 2012 2:40 pm

Great report and superb photos.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland