walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Socath & Carn Bhac, + a Wee Wander!!

An Socath & Carn Bhac, + a Wee Wander!!

Postby dooterbang » Sun May 06, 2012 5:06 pm

Route description: An Socach from Glen Clunie

Munros included on this walk: An Socach (Braemar), Càrn Bhac

Date walked: 05/05/2012

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 28.7 km

Ascent: 1912m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having missed the 2 previous weekends fantastic weather i was extremely eager to get on them hills, An Socath & Carn Bhac would see the Southern Cairngorms completed. I had asked Woodsy to join me but he pulled out due to being a woose!! Going solo is always enjoyable and knowing i had a couple of group walks ahead in the coming weeks it felt a trek on my own was much needed.

Left Glasgow at 6am via Edinburgh airport where i dropped 2 young ladies bound for sunnier climates in South America, i then headed for Glenshee. Arrived at Glen Clunie 9.15am and was on my merry way at 9.30am.

Clear views, sunshine, stiff 25mph breeze and a hail/snow shower would be the order of the day.

My route

An Socath & Carn Bhac.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Over the gate and follow the track 2km SW

When the Allt Coire Fhearsneag meets with Baddock Burn follow the track heading West

Continue following in a SW direction till you come across a phallically shaped cairn, i could imagine a few ladies becoming rather hot and bothered...and a few men :shock:

A bird

The walk West along the ridge/plateau is rocky in places but presents no difficulties

looking back East

Loch nan Eun comes into view from the South

Soon you reach the Summit of An Socath with views to the snow covered Northern Munros of the Cairngorms

Next target Carn Bhac centre, left is ridge leading to Beinn Iutharn Mhor

It had been pretty easy going till now and after a break for food i decided i would descend the steep Western face of An socath and ascend the steeper Eastern face of the ridge to BIM.

Wildlife

It was pretty steep descending from An Socath through the ferns, i had managed to stay clear of scree and boulders.

The climb up to BIMs ridge was again steep and pathless, when reaching the plateau it was very rocky indeed.

On reaching a cairn 1km NE from BIM i decided it was such a beautiful day that i should rest a little and fry my face red from the scorching heat eminating from the sun above.

East to An socath

Looking over BIM i witnessed lots of activity - other walkers!! I was really enjoying the isolation so instead of going over to BIM, or taking the route to Carn Bhac from the ridge, i decided to descend back down to the glen and then head NW across pathless terrain to Carn Bhac - sorted!

Summit of Carn Bhac - Southern Cairngorms completed :D

On the summit was the only time i met and spoke to anyone, a lovely couple of senoir walkers. He was 70 and she in her 60s, although they could have passed for 20 years younger. 32k and 2 Munros for them, a 12 hour mammoth - inspirational stuff indeed, and something to aspire to. Turns out he was from Glasgow and had met his partner when on a walking holiday, she was from Lincoln and never walked a Munro. Our man invites her up to do the Wee Bookil in full on winter conditions, crampons and ice axe...the rest is history :)

From Carn Bhac i followed a stalkers path on the Northern side of Allt nan Clach Geala for 2k

It was now 1k to the foot of An Socaths NW scree ridden face. At this point the hail/snow storm appeared and lasted for 15mins.

The scramble up the scree was the difficult part of the day, but good fun.

NE to Glen Ey

Once at the top it was a case of retracing your steps from An Socath back down the ridge and to the Glen.

The ridge

The Glen

Back to the car at 6.25pm and was driving home for 6.30pm.

This was a fab day out wandering the hills and doing the extra ascent hopefully has set me up nicely for the Fisherfield 6 which i plan to do in the coming weeks - hitting the 200 Munros mark 8)
Last edited by dooterbang on Mon May 07, 2012 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: An Socath & Carn Bhac, + a Wee Wander!!

Postby jonny616 » Sun May 06, 2012 5:16 pm

Nice one DB. I should have done CB when i did An Socath but hayho. :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby pigeon » Sun May 06, 2012 5:34 pm

Another good one dooter,had forgot about Carn Bhac,might do it soon.Good luck for Fisherfield,hope you get the weather :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby jenniferc6 » Sun May 06, 2012 6:28 pm

Great report and photos. I climbed An Socach yesterday too and the views were fantastic. I came back down through the glen beside the baddoch burn and didn't meet anyone else the whole day (must have missed you since I set off earlier).
jenniferc6
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:179
Fionas:42   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:37   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:10

Postby dooterbang » Sun May 06, 2012 6:43 pm

jenniferc6 wrote:Great report and photos. I climbed An Socach yesterday too and the views were fantastic. I came back down through the glen beside the baddoch burn and didn't meet anyone else the whole day (must have missed you since I set off earlier).
Was the little red car yours? I was wondering where the owner was.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Postby mountainstar » Sun May 06, 2012 7:03 pm

Another long day....an yet again your a hero, missing out of another weekend of booze and fighting on the streets of Glasgow :D
BTW...Good photies mate as per usual :thumbup:
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby mountain thyme » Sun May 06, 2012 7:29 pm

well done dooters.... shame your only allowed to walk when the new burds away on holiday,,, :)
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby davetherave » Sun May 06, 2012 7:58 pm

As the others have said, nice..

I had one of my better winters days in the hills earlier this year on An Socach and Beinn Lutharn Mhor. I think it was the same day that the guy Curlywurly did them.
Never saw him that day, but what a day!!.

Thanks for posting.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun May 06, 2012 9:24 pm

Great to read one of your reports again, Paul. Thoroughly enjoyed it :D
You've got some fantastic views and love the photo of the little pool and rocks :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby monty » Sun May 06, 2012 10:19 pm

Nice report Dooter with a route of your own making. Good photos. :D
monty

Postby pollyh33 » Sun May 06, 2012 11:31 pm

Another good read Paul but alas I can't see your photos!!! Damn those NHS restrictions!!! :( :( :(

Any chance you could convey the imagery through another medium? Modern dance perhaps??? :D :D :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby jenniferc6 » Mon May 07, 2012 3:41 pm

dooterbang wrote:
jenniferc6 wrote:Great report and photos. I climbed An Socach yesterday too and the views were fantastic. I came back down through the glen beside the baddoch burn and didn't meet anyone else the whole day (must have missed you since I set off earlier).

Aye that was me. I thought about doing Beinn iutharn mor as well but decided to go up Morrone on the way home instead.
jenniferc6
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:179
Fionas:42   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:37   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:10

Postby Mountainlove » Mon May 07, 2012 3:47 pm

Great report and picture and well done for completing the southern cairngorms! It sounded like a great day out...sometimes it is great to be alone on the hills-completely agree! :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby dooterbang » Mon May 07, 2012 6:14 pm

jonny616 wrote:Nice one DB. I should have done CB when i did An Socath but hayho. :lol:
Next time matey.

Mountainlove wrote:Great report and picture and well done for completing the southern cairngorms! It sounded like a great day out...sometimes it is great to be alone on the hills-completely agree! :D

Thanks ML - was a fab day.

jenniferc6 wrote:
dooterbang wrote:

Aye that was me. I thought about doing Beinn iutharn mor as well but decided to go up Morrone on the way home instead.
My car was the little black one. Well done on doing another hill. Maybe see your wee car agin at some point :)

pollyh33 wrote:Another good read Paul but alas I can't see your photos!!! Damn those NHS restrictions!!! :( :( :(

Any chance you could convey the imagery through another medium? Modern dance perhaps??? :D :D :D
Only if its Russian!!

monty wrote:Nice report Dooter with a route of your own making. Good photos. :D
Cheers Monty, i try my best :lol:

SusieThePensioner wrote:Great to read one of your reports again, Paul. Thoroughly enjoyed it :D
You've got some fantastic views and love the photo of the little pool and rocks :thumbup:
Thanks Susie. Well done on your magazine article.

davetherave wrote:As the others have said, nice..
I had one of my better winters days in the hills earlier this year on An Socach and Beinn Lutharn Mhor.
Cheers. I read your report on it, fab stuff...them dogs are very lucky.

mountain thyme wrote:well done dooters.... shame your only allowed to walk when the new burds away on holiday,,, :)
The bird was with me...check the photos!!

mountainstar wrote:Another long day....an yet again your a hero, missing out of another weekend of booze and fighting on the streets of Glasgow :D
BTW...Good photies mate as per usual :thumbup:
Glasgow is just lovely eh!! Remeber coming back from a walk at midnight and witnessing what you say, and the plethora of Police cars, shameful stuff. Oh and my photos are no bad eh, not good enough for that comp.

pigeon wrote:Another good one dooter,had forgot about Carn Bhac,might do it soon.Good luck for Fisherfield,hope you get the weather :thumbup:
Thanks mate, heres hoping.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Postby mgmt! » Mon May 07, 2012 7:06 pm

well done dooterbang, good to see a report on these from a different route, got beaten by the weather on saturday trying to climb a sea stack, looks like you got all the good stuff !!
mgmt!
Mountaineer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland