walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Greigh, Meall Garbh & An Stuc

Meall Greigh, Meall Garbh & An Stuc

Postby Dunfie » Sun May 06, 2012 5:08 pm

Route description: Meall Greigh, Meall Garbh and An Stùc

Munros included on this walk: An Stùc, Meall Garbh (Ben Lawers), Meall Greigh

Date walked: 05/05/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 16.5 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

You wait ages for a good Saturday and then two come along at once. Last week we tackled Buachille Etive Mor in perfect conditions so we weren't expecting another day that was quite as good as yesterday.

We were on our way for 8:30am from Ben Lawers Hotel and walked down towards the horn carvers house to pick up the path.

It is a pleasant enough walk up the path through the woods until you get to the open hillside. We were tackling this walk anti clockwise but managed to miss the right hand split in the path and ended up down at the wee bridge which leads to Lochan nan Cat. However as the day was so clear we were able to just alter course and head up around Sron Mhor to Meall Greigh. It is a bit of a slog up the hill but the views across the corrie to the Ben Lawers and An Stuc open up so its not all bad.

Lawers and An Stuc

An Stuc

The long hard pull up the hillside is fuly rewarded with amazing views across to the Glen Lyon Horseshoe and Schiehallion.

West Side of Glen Lyon Horseshoe

East Side of Glen Lyon Horseshoe and Schiehallion

Cameron on Meall Greigh with Ben Lawers and An Stuc in the background

The path is better between Meall Greigh and Meall Garbh with a fairly steep section up beside an old fence. We got to the top and took the cairn photo when a walker with a golden lab came up from the other direction. It was one of those "I know his face" type moments you often get and then it dawned on both of us. We had walked the WHW on the same schedule last month and had walked sections on the last couple of days together. It was such a pleasant surprise to have a blether at the cairn for a few minutes before we headed off on opposite directions. I still have no idea how he managed to get the labrador down An Stuc!

Cameron on Meall Garbh with An Stuc in background

The walk down Meall Garbh is fairly steep so car needs to be taken - especially when you have an eye on An Stuc and trying to work out the best route up. In the end it wasn't too bad although we did manage to get to one dead end (it might have been okay if it hadn't been icy) so we dropped a few meters and took another route. It was good fun and certainly got a bit of adrenalin pumping.

Cameron in An Stuc

Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas from An Stuc

On the summit of An Stuc we bumped into a chap who we met last week on Buachille Etive Mor. I thought the highlands were supposed to be a vast wilderness - not for us yesterday as we kept recognising people. :lol:

That was our three tops for the day so we dropped down between An Stuc and Ben Lawers to the Lochan nan Cat. Again there didn't seem to be a very clear path down the grassy hillside so we employed a posterior sliding technique to get us down the steeper parts a bit quicker.

Lochan nan Cat

An Stuc across Lochan nan Cat

It was just a case of walking along the edge of the loch and then down the side of the burn until drop down into the gorge and past some schielings and then retracing steps to the Ben Lawers Hotel. It was good to get to the hotel for some refreshments before travelling back home.

A very still Loch Tay
Dunfie
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:132   Islands:5

Re: Meall Greigh, Meall Garbh & An Stuc

Postby Ranger » Sun May 06, 2012 10:37 pm

Always interested in these accounts of the east face of An Stuc, chickened out and did it from its west ridge but think i'll need to check it out on a return visit - The eiger north face of the Southern Highlands? :D
Ranger

Munros:282   Corbetts:74
Fionas:13   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Postby canofirnbru » Sun May 06, 2012 10:49 pm

Done this one in September last year and the walk out past Lochan nan Cat was horribly boggy and seemed to go on for ever! :(
canofirnbru
Hill Bagger

Munros:5   Corbetts:85
Fionas:11   Donalds:24+11
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Islands:6
Walk wish-list

Postby Dunfie » Mon May 07, 2012 1:14 pm

Ranger wrote:Always interested in these accounts of the east face of An Stuc, chickened out and did it from its west ridge but think i'll need to check it out on a return visit - The eiger north face of the Southern Highlands? :D

I can imagine it being a bit treacherous in a wet and windy day but as long as you take your time and keep to the left then it isn't too bad.

canofirnbru wrote:Done this one in September last year and the walk out past Lochan nan Cat was horribly boggy and seemed to go on for ever! :(

It was a bit boggy and my boots did sink in a couple of times. It has been relatively dry lately so I'm sure it gets a lot worse at times. The views back up the valley were really nice.

Dunfie
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:132   Islands:5

Postby skuk007 » Mon May 07, 2012 9:35 pm

Nice photos Dunfie, am hoping to do these in July, also hoping I get the clear views you did. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland