walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Cruachan & Stob Diamh

Ben Cruachan & Stob Diamh

Postby clivew » Sun May 06, 2012 9:35 pm

Route description: Ben Cruachan and Stob Daimh

Munros included on this walk: Ben Cruachan, Stob Daimh

Date walked: 05/05/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1376m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I have been thinking about this walk for a long time ever since I climbed Beinn a'Chochuill and Beinn Eunaich and looked across at the ridge. It was one of those walks that is best left for a clear sunny day and today was one of those days. I read Jock McJocks report after his climb 10 days ago and that really acted as the catalyst to get me out of bed at 5.30 on a Saturday morning for the long drive North.
It really was a great morning although there was the smallest of snow flurries as I approached Crianlarich and that was to be repeated a few times during the day. When I arrived at the lay by at Cruachan Station there were two cars already there and as I was leaving I bumped into Bod and Co who were doing the same walk, good to see you again Bod.
It was about 8.30 when I set off and I followed the route under the rail line and on up through the woods heading for the dam. Heard my first cuckoo of the year and it really felt like spring had arrived (again). The fleece was off after about 10 minutes as this is one of those walks where you start the climb from the car park.

P1000297.JPG
The path up through the woods

Met up with a couple from Mull just below the dam and stopped and had a chat; they, like me, were really looking forward to this walk. The route up to the dam was simple to follow, the dam is so big you cant miss it or the ladder that takes you up onto the roadway.

P1000299.JPG
The Cruachan Dam with the ladder leading up to the road

By the time I reached the end of the reservoir there were already a few people ahead of me making their way up towards the Bealach, three of them had driven their off-roader all the way to the end of the reservoir, I don't know why they bothered to get out after driving that far they may as well have carried on driving (as you can tell I wasn't impressed, lazy I call it). Any way in spite of their laziness I passed them after about 5 minutes and never set eyes on them again.

P1000303.JPG
The top of the reservoir and the ridge along to Drochaid Ghlais

P1000307.JPG
The path up to the Bealach

Followed another couple of walkers up to the Bealach where I stopped for breakfast, coffee, cheese sandwich and half a Mars bar, great breakfast. The views from here were superb, I couldn't wait to see what it was like from the summit.

P1000308.JPG
Looking towards Loch Etive from just above the Bealach

The path up to the summit was non existent in places as it went across the boulders, I'm glad the snow that was around when Jock did the walk 10 days ago had all but disappeared it made it a lot easier. I soon reached the summit of Ben Cruachan; it must be one of the best view-points in this part of Scotland. You could see for miles in every direction it was stunning.

P1000310.JPG
The Cruachan dam and Loch Awe

P1000311.JPG
Loch Etive from the summit

P1000316.JPG
Stob Dearg from Ben Cruachan

P1000317.JPG
A happy smiling me on the summit

The route ahead along the ridge was easy to follow, I'm not sure if it would have been so easy if the cloud was down. I made my way down to the slabs and scaled them and the followed the path along the ridge.

P1000318.JPG
The route along the ridge over the slabs

I followed the ridge up to the top of Drochaid Ghlas and then back down and up again to Stob Diamh, I was enjoying every minute of it.

P1000319.JPG
The route along the ridge to Drochaid Ghlas

P1000324.JPG
Ben Cruachan and Stob Dearg from Drochaid Ghlas

The climb up to the second Munro of the day, Stob Diamh, was easy after the scramble across the ridge; looking back the way I had came was great and I could see other walkers along the route.

P1000325.JPG
Stob Diamh and Stob Garbh

I followed the path across Stob Diamh and up across Stob Garbh and then headed down towards the exit path back to the top of the dam. I sat on a rock above the dam for lunch, it was so quiet and warm I could easily have fallen asleep. From here you have a great view of the path leading up to the Bealach from the head of the reservoir.

P1000330.JPG
The path up to the Bealach from below Stob Garbh

P1000333.JPG
The exit route back to the dam

It was just before 2.30 when I reached the car; the lay by was packed out and I counted 18 cars squeezed in along the side of the road. I hope everyone else enjoyed Cruachan as much as I did; it certainly was a great day out. I finally arrived back in Edinburgh and after a soak in the bath headed down to the Malt and Hops on the Shore with my better half, the beer tasted superb after what I considered my best day out this year.
clivew
Mountain Walker

Munros:157   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Ben Cruachan & Stob Diamh

Postby dooterbang » Mon May 07, 2012 6:23 pm

Great walk this, and best kept for a clear day.

Its nice to do in winter also.

cheers.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby clivew » Mon May 07, 2012 8:37 pm

dooterbang wrote:Great walk this, and best kept for a clear day.

cheers.

Thanks Dooter; I've just been reading your Fersit Five report, that's what I call a walk I don't think my ankles would take that much punishment in one day but I would certainly like to give it a try, fantastic pics.
Clive
clivew
Mountain Walker

Munros:157   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Bod » Mon May 07, 2012 9:25 pm

Hi Clivew, fantastic to bump into you again.....what a day we had, couldn't have been better for Radman on his 100th. Impressed at your return time back to your car, well done :D :D :lol:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby dooterbang » Tue May 08, 2012 10:55 am

clivew wrote:
dooterbang wrote:Great walk this, and best kept for a clear day.

cheers.

Thanks Dooter; I've just been reading your Fersit Five report, that's what I call a walk I don't think my ankles would take that much punishment in one day but I would certainly like to give it a try, fantastic pics.
Clive

The five at fersit is a long walk but if you camp at South end of Loch Trieg it would make a great trip. Thanks for your report on An Socath & Carn Bhac - i used it to give me ideas of my recent trip.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby 2dalmatians » Wed May 09, 2012 8:49 pm

Great report there Clive. Glad you got the weather for it-makes all the difference. :D
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland