walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ettrick Horeshoe and Loch Fell added on for fun

Ettrick Horeshoe and Loch Fell added on for fun

Postby rdtoward21 » Mon May 07, 2012 1:05 pm

Route description: Ettrick Hills horseshoe

Fionas included on this walk: Capel Fell, Ettrick Pen

Donalds included on this walk: Bodesbeck Law, Capel Fell, Ettrick Pen, Loch Fell, Wind Fell

Date walked: 07/05/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 688m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I set off from the end of the public road and followed the track into the forrest off to the right.

1 Start.JPG

The track takes a gentle meander through the forrest and winds slowly uphill to pop out near the top of the ridge with the reward of the first sight of Bodesbeck Law.

2 Bodesback Law.JPG

and turning round a great view of Ettrick Pen, the final hill of the day.
3 View Ettrick Pen.JPG

I continued on and within an hour reached the first summit of Bodesbeck Law and was rewarded with a stunning view towards Saddle Yoke.
6 Bodesback Cairn.JPG

The route is pretty well marked and follows a fence line for the entire duration of the walk, although it was pretty boggy in places.
After a short coffee stop and taking in the views I pushed on towards my next target of Capel Fell which I spotted as I descended Bodesbeck Law.
7 View Capel Fell.JPG

Along the way a great view of Croft Head
13 View Crofthead.JPG

and a great view of Hart Fell and Saddle Yoke
10 View Hart Fell, Saddle Yoke.JPG

I reached the summit of Capel Fell after roughly 2 1/2 hours of walking with only a stick to mark the highest point. I didnt linger long and after 4hours the summit of Loch Fell was reached.
20 Loch Fell Top.JPG

Another short break followed and then on towards the summit of Ettrick Pen, which was reached
after 6 hours of pretty tough walking.
22 Ettrick Pen Top.JPG

It was all downhill from here with a fine valley walk to top off a great days walking in stunning surroundings.
23 Bothie.JPG
Attachments

Ettrick Horseshoe with Loch Fell 05 MAY 12.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rdtoward21
Mountaineer

Munros:24   Corbetts:7
Fionas:8   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:15   

Re: Ettrick Horeshoe and Loch Fell added on for fun

Postby laconic surf » Mon May 07, 2012 5:20 pm

A cracking round this one rdtoward, a great day out. I intend to return and re-do this next winter hopefully when there is enough snow to sledge down off Ettrick Pen resulting in high speed descent/certain death :lol:
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon May 07, 2012 9:38 pm

Cheers for that - I was taking notes for my next trip that way :D
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby FestinaLente » Tue May 08, 2012 10:02 am

Nice to see report on similar walk I did on Sunday 6 May. Selcoth return Selcoth going over 8 hills, 3 Grahams 5 Donald/New Donalds. I saw noone else on the hills all day which took me 7 3/4 hours. It was longest walk I have done so far this year and found it tiring going from the Phawhope Bothy up firebreak to Smidhope but recovered after that. Twice during the walk there was light falls of small snow flurries but it was only pretence on the part of the weather god.
FestinaLente
Mountain Walker

Munros:260   Corbetts:85
Fionas:27   Donalds:72
Sub 2000:23   

Postby rdtoward21 » Thu May 10, 2012 2:21 pm

Thanks for the positive comments, it certainly was a great day out :D
rdtoward21
Mountaineer

Munros:24   Corbetts:7
Fionas:8   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:15   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu May 10, 2012 3:29 pm

This reminded me of a route i'd thought about last year, taking in the other Graham as well although i hadn't included the Donalds. Will have to get down there soon. Cheers for the report it's good to see the Border hills to remind us they're still there, a wee change from the Highlands :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby meangarry » Fri May 11, 2012 6:05 pm

It's these Border Hills that have given me my love of walking so alot can be said for them. :) I'm glad that more seasoned mountain lovers also share a fondness for the hills down my way!
Also, as afore mentioned, selcoth is a good alternative start for this walk. It has parking set aside for walkers and although it adds a little distance in the legs it shaves some off the wheels especially if travelling from the m74 side.
meangarry

Munros:29   Corbetts:19
Fionas:15   Donalds:60
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:23   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland