walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Five sisters of Kintail

Five sisters of Kintail

Postby Frigate » Mon May 07, 2012 11:08 pm

Route description: Five Sisters of Kintail

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Fhuaran, Sgùrr na Càrnach, Sgùrr na Ciste Duibhe

Date walked: 04/05/2012

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 10.9 km

Ascent: 1453m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A weekend trip away for all team members on the May holiday, bunked up at the Ratagan Hostel for 3 nights. After a protracted planning meeting where we only just had enough bottles and cans to make a 3D map of all the hills in scotland :crazy: :crazy: the route of the five sisters was picked.
P1000902.JPG
Looks easy from here

After a 01.30 lights out an early revellie was sounded by Ian Bayne at 06.00 with a rousing chorus of 'the sun has got his hat on hip hip hooray', very rousing for one person not in our group. :oops: :oops:
Breakfast, packing etc, left the hostel at 07.45 to drop off a car opposite the Kintail Lodge Hotel and drive to the layby for the Bealach an Lapain access. On the hill for 08.30 and the sweating started, a crabbing traverse bought us up to Bealach nan Spainteach under Sgurr na Ciste Duibhe and on to the ridge.
P1000889.JPG
Climbing above the tree line

P1000891.JPG
Up to thr Bealach nan Spainteach

The cloud level which was just below the tops as we started out retreated upwards to give clear views and pepper us with light hail/frozen rain showers in the keen northerly wind.
The scenery to the north was really impressive with gouged and riven steep sides of Beinn Fhada and Meall an Fhuarain Mhor, exposed slabs of fractured rock above Gleann Lichd. The ridge over Ciste Duibhe, na Carach, Fhuaran and nan Saighead made for some fine walking. Particularly around the east cliffs and north east face of Sgurr na Saighead. Couple of exposed bits here above the slabs of rock where the updraft rustled the hair - well not mine.
P1000893.JPG

P1000894.JPG

P1000892.JPG

P1000899.JPG

P1000895.JPG

P1000897.JPG
1st/last house in Glen Shiel

Descent started over Beinn Bhuidhe and not being purists Sgurr na Moraich did not appeal (on this trip at least)
P1000896.JPG
Should this be the Pap of Glen Shiel

Followed the good path along the Alt a' Chruinn and down to the village, the final part of the descent (200m) had been flagged with stones to stop erosion but in my opinion it made for hard walking.
P1000901.JPG
Loch Duich, the home straight

Had a short double shuffle to pick up the cars and see them safely consigned to the Kintail Lodge car park where we repaired inside for a light refreshment.
Unfortunately they don't start to serve food until six so we just had to wait, something to pass the time until the next planning meeting. :lol: :lol:

With Pigeon, Huck Finn, Jim, Ian Bayne and the dug Jake.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Frigate
Munro compleatist

Munros:137   Corbetts:12
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:9
Islands:12

Re: Five sisters of Kintail

Postby Huck Finn » Tue May 08, 2012 8:12 am

It was a good day, i really enjoyed this one, but i do agree, the walk of the hill was a sore one on the knees
Huck Finn
Mountain Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby monty » Tue May 08, 2012 10:42 am

Nice report Frigate. Thats a nice walk although the clag, hailstones and steep ascent must have made it seem like the wrong hill choice initially. Cleared up nicely though. :D
monty

Postby Ian Bayne » Tue May 08, 2012 4:37 pm

Good report kev you must have been taking notes to remember all that detail all i know i was ******** it was a good haul all the samea good start to a good weekend
Ian Bayne
Mountain Walker

Munros:184   Corbetts:39
Fionas:13   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:12   

Postby pigeon » Tue May 08, 2012 5:22 pm

Good one Kev,think the 3D map was more like the munro's and the corbett's combined :lol: :lol:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby Frigate » Tue May 08, 2012 9:23 pm

Cheers Monty, if I lose another stone I might get some long walks in (or am I running out of short hills?)

Ian, still had a brain cell left after the 'planning meeting'

Pigeon, think I said ALL scottish hills, the recycle bin was full
Frigate
Munro compleatist

Munros:137   Corbetts:12
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:9
Islands:12

Postby Huck Finn » Fri May 11, 2012 8:01 am

Huck Finn
Mountain Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland