walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

3 from Glen Lochsie

3 from Glen Lochsie

Postby Tomsie » Fri May 04, 2012 2:36 pm

Route description: Glas Tulaichean & Càrn an Rìgh, Glenshee

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Iutharn Mhòr, Càrn an Rìgh, Glas Tulaichean

Date walked: 03/05/2012

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 27 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Weather forecast was white cloud for today 3/5/12, a change from sun forecast a few days earlier. Started from Dalmunzie Hotel around 8/8.15am went into reception and gave details of hills being walked, contact number and paid a £2.50 parking charge. Headed into Glen Lochsie past farm and took path between old railway and main track, watching behind the slow cloud making its way into the Glen. Stopped at Glenlochsie Lodge for a bite to eat and remove gaitors, the cloud was getting closer but never rising and once I gained height past the lodge would be above it for the rest of the day. Was at Glas Tulaichean after about 2 1/2hrs and the hill is like a big mossy sponge nice for a lying on and taking in the views. Needlessly brought to much stuff with me for the day that was in it an absolute scorcher the kind that are more to lying on a beach, blue skie's, warm air and no wind and no suncream which I was to find out later on vital piece of kit missing from bag. So when I got near Loch nan Eun dumped bag behind a rock and picked up the path to Carn an Righ, took a few photo's and was unsure wether to go to Beinn lutharn Mhor as that climb with the heat was taking its toll on me, but didnt look that far or hard a walk, little bit decieving. Took path up Mam nan Carn and around in between that and lutharn Mhor, where there was a lot of snow, wasnt that deep and was soft so still able to walk fairly comfortable, sat here watching fighter jets doing manoeuvre's for a bit before walking across the snow and up onto the summit of lutharn Mhor where I took a few more photo's. Made way back to the loch and bag by lutharn Beag, after collecting bag stopped by the little ruin at the loch for something to eat or devour as it was and decided to give feet a bit of cooling down in loch, but be careful folks, because some idiot decided to throw glass at the waters edge could have being very nasty walking back back out of there requiring stiches. Took the path down by the falls into Gleann Taitneach it was quite boggy and parts of path had water running down it which made it slippy, not to and its a firetrack, walking into streams running across this track to cool off the feet, when I got near trees by the hotel just waded across the river about knee height but was flowing a bit quick. Climbed over the fence into small woods, but disappointed at the white goods and veg oil cans left about here, car was parked as I came out of here.
Went into let staff know i was back, headed over to Spittal of Glenshee hotel where I was staying for the night and hoping to do another walk in the morning, but now I realised how much of the sun I had got ,shower had to be cold and didnt feel great next morning, so when I got to Braemar had being sleet, snow and strong winds on the way there, looking towards Linn of Dee it was black cloud and way I was feeling didnt even feel up to taking a spin to the Linn so headed back home.

007.JPG

010.JPG

012.JPG

015.JPG

017.JPG

019.JPG

021.JPG

022.JPG

023.JPG

024.JPG

030.JPG

034.JPG
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Re: 3 from Glen Lochsie

Postby quoman » Fri May 04, 2012 10:10 pm

some cracking photo's i like the inversion one's and its a long walkout ehh.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Jock McJock » Sat May 05, 2012 8:06 pm

Brilliant, some great pics there. We were up there a few weeks back and only managed Glas T before being beaten back by the weather, lots of snow :lol: Nice to see what it looks like :lol:
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Tomsie » Mon May 07, 2012 10:29 pm

quoman wrote:some cracking photo's i like the inversion one's and its a long walkout ehh.

Tricky to start with, could imagine in winter a lot worse, and then long walk along the track
Tomsie
Walker

Postby Tomsie » Mon May 07, 2012 10:29 pm

Jock McJock wrote:Brilliant, some great pics there. We were up there a few weeks back and only managed Glas T before being beaten back by the weather, lots of snow :lol: Nice to see what it looks like :lol:

Cheers Jock
Tomsie
Walker

Postby mountain thyme » Mon May 07, 2012 10:35 pm

nice pics tomsie.. well done on a longish day
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby dooterbang » Tue May 08, 2012 10:57 am

Nice walk this, i liked the views to Locn nan Eun.

9hrs is a long day eh :D
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby monty » Tue May 08, 2012 11:02 am

Excellent Tomsie. Lovely inversion photo. Thats a good walk on a warm day. :D
monty

Postby Tomsie » Mon May 14, 2012 1:23 pm

mountain thyme wrote:nice pics tomsie.. well done on a longish day

Thanks mountain, tiring at the end
Tomsie
Walker

Postby Tomsie » Mon May 14, 2012 1:24 pm

dooterbang wrote:Nice walk this, i liked the views to Locn nan Eun.

9hrs is a long day eh :D

Long day in that heat
Tomsie
Walker

Postby Tomsie » Mon May 14, 2012 1:25 pm

monty wrote:Excellent Tomsie. Lovely inversion photo. Thats a good walk on a warm day. :D

Could have got some nice photo's of fighter jets but was on wrong side of lutharn mhor at the time they passing, good excuse for a rest though
Tomsie
Walker

Postby rocket-ron » Mon May 14, 2012 3:06 pm

well done tomsie
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:94
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:15   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland