walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Return to Kintail - Attow'll Do Nicely

Return to Kintail - Attow'll Do Nicely

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue May 08, 2012 10:48 pm

Munros included on this walk: A' Ghlas-bheinn, Beinn Fhada

Date walked: 06/05/2012

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 19.9 km

Ascent: 1570m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had been looking for a good day to climb this secretive, impressive mountain for a while. A good Bank Holiday weekend forecast proved to be just the occasion I had been looking for.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The weather was perfect for hillwalking - sunny but not too hot and with just enough cloud to create some interesting skies.

I gained height easily on the excellent path into Gleann Choinneachain with Beinn Fhada on my right an A' Ghlas-bheinn on the left.
Bealach an Sgairne.jpg
Bealach an Sgairne

There were quite a few other walkers about. At the 400m contour I turned right onto the path toward Coire an Sgairne. The path zig-zagged it's way to the large summit plateau. From here it was a simple walk to the summit. And the views! S to the Brothers and Sisters ridges, E to Glen Affric and it's Munros.
Glen Affric.jpg
Glen Affric

Sisters.jpg
Sisters

Ceathreamhnan, Carn Eige, An Socach.jpg
Ceathreamhnan, Carn Eige, An Socach

Gleann Gaorsaic.jpg
Gleann Gaorsaic

Beinn Fhada's northern corries cut into the grassy plateau like bites out a giant cheesecake.
Attow plateau.jpg
Summit plateau

interesting cliff columns on A' Ghlas-bheinn.jpg
A' Ghlas-bheinn with interesting cliff formations

From here I retraced my steps and on to the minor summit Meall a' Bhealaich. Next came the only tricky part of the walk - the descent off this top to the Bealach an Sgairne. I started down the very steep N slope but had to stop and re-assess my route. It was just too steep to be safe so I clambered back up to the top and headed more NE on grassier ground. This was still very steep and required care. I had to drop my pack at one point to allow me to slide down some rock. I picked it up quite a distance below! I certainly would not want to do this in wet conditions and it would probably be necessary to drop some way below the col on the E side of the hill if this were the case.
Bealach an Sgairne 2.jpg
Bealach an Sgairne

Anyway, after a quick break it was onward up the remaining 400m to the summit of A' Ghlas-bheinn. Looking back to my descent route, I was glad I had backtracked (not always an easy decision to make) as there was dangerous ground below my initial route. The weather was really nice now and I lingered some time at the summit. The views were slightly different - W to Skye and the ocean, N to Torridon and the vast Monar and Mullardoch mountain wonderland.
over Gleann Gaorsaic to A' Chralaig.jpg
looking over Loch a' Bhealaich to A' Chralaig

wild mountain country to N.jpg
wild mountain country to the N

The descent was not too bad along A' Mhuc to join the Dorusduain Wood track. The walk back to the car was enjoyable in the warm evening sun.
Morvich.jpg
Morvich

A cracking day out and Beinn Fhada is a hill I will return to, perhaps with a full traverse :)
Last edited by LeithySuburbs on Wed May 09, 2012 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Re: Return to Kintail - Attow'll Do Nicely

Postby Bod » Tue May 08, 2012 11:20 pm

Nice one Leithy, and great stuff getting back to Kintail. Great pictures and totally agree with your summary of the weather. Hot but not too hot, and just enough cloud for interesting skies :D :D :thumbup:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby dooterbang » Tue May 08, 2012 11:21 pm

WOW!!

My friend Stevie and i did these 2 six weeks ago and didnt see a thing :shock:

Thanks for showing me what i missed....have to do them again now!!
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby jonny616 » Wed May 09, 2012 11:31 am

Grand day you had. I sensibly waited until the weather was crap yesterday to go out :lol:

I need to get back to Kintail soon :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby EwaMH » Wed May 09, 2012 11:36 am

Stunning! The corries look amazing!! I like the comparison to bites out of a cheesecake :)
EwaMH

Munros:207   Corbetts:83
Fionas:33   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:16

Postby b-illie » Wed May 09, 2012 3:58 pm

The Wild Mountain Country to the N picture captures the essence of all that's beautiful about the Scottish hills. :clap:
b-illie
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland