walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Hope

Ben Hope

Postby bootsandpaddles » Wed May 09, 2012 8:28 am

Route description: Ben Hope

Munros included on this walk: Ben Hope

Date walked: 04/05/2012

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 908m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It didn’t look that promising when I peered out of the van: low cloud - all a bit dismal really. “I’ll just have another 5 minutes” I thought. When I woke up again 2 hours later :oops: the cloud hadn’t lifted much but I still had hopes of doing both Ben Hope and Ben Klibreck. Passing through Altnaharra my plans were dealt a bit of a blow when a sign indicated that the minor road to Hope was closed at Strathmore Lodge. Unfortunately I hadn’t got the OS map of the area so I wasn’t sure how near I could get from the south. I had made a last minute decision to do Ben Hope and had just printed out the route map from Walkhighlands! :roll: It is after all a fairly straightforward route. So I felt there was nothing for it but to drive all the way up to Tongue and then down from Hope to the start of the walk. This seemed to take forever (I love single track A roads!) but the bonus was that by the time I arrived at Ben Hope the cloud had lifted and it was another glorious day. Any chance of doing Ben Klibreck as well had vanished though.

A large sign indicates The Way Up.
DSCN1180.JPG
The Way Up
It is pretty boggy but there is compensation in the form of lovely waterfalls
DSCN1182.JPG
Waterfalls
beside the “path” and views down the strath.
DSCN1181.JPG
Strathmore
Once on the broad ridge it was a straightforward walk to the trig point over grass and boulders with small patches of snow.
DSCN1185.JPG
On the ridge
A couple of ptarmigan croaked at me as I went past. As I sat eating my lunch clouds blew in and the temperature dropped but not before I had had chance to admire the views of the nearby hills
DSCN1186.JPG
View from the summit
and out to sea.
DSCN1188.JPG
Hazy view towards Tongue
I could even see Ben Klibreck
DSCN1187.JPG
Ben Klibreck
but that was as close as I was going to get that day. Hurrying down to keep warm I quickly dropped out of the clouds and it wasn’t long before I was back at the car. I enjoyed the drive back much more as there was no pressure of time. The scenery up there is superb and I am looking forward to getting back to explore it further.
DSCN1191.JPG
Ben Loyal
Much better to take your time and enjoy the day rather than turning into an obsessive, time-driven Munro bagger.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Re: Ben Hope

Postby quoman » Wed May 09, 2012 8:37 am

Just love it up there, Iam going up to do the four in 2 weeks time hopfully so cheers for that.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby basscadet » Wed May 09, 2012 8:43 am

Loved the photos :D
I lived up that way once upon a time.. Have to get back there soon.. :)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby iainwatson » Wed May 09, 2012 10:34 am

nice report,hopefully going up in august to do the most northern 4 and then down to ullapool to do 6 over the course of 5 days,this report certainly helps,

cheers :D
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby dooterbang » Wed May 09, 2012 12:26 pm

Lovely hill.

Thats a power nap eh :lol:

We did do Klibreck the same day then round to Inchnadamph for Ben More Assynt and Conival.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby bootsandpaddles » Wed May 09, 2012 1:03 pm

We did do Klibreck the same day then round to Inchnadamph for Ben More Assynt and Conival.[/quote]

All four on the same day - that's impressive!!!!
bootsandpaddles

Postby dooterbang » Wed May 09, 2012 1:55 pm

bootsandpaddles wrote:We did do Klibreck the same day then round to Inchnadamph for Ben More Assynt and Conival.

All four on the same day - that's impressive!!!![/quote]Sorry - i meant the next day, we did the other 2...only Monty could manage all four in a day :wink: :lol:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby EwaMH » Wed May 09, 2012 2:00 pm

..or maybe paddy_da_mighty_atom after his crianlarich effort!!!
EwaMH

Munros:207   Corbetts:83
Fionas:33   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:16

Postby audreywaugh » Wed May 09, 2012 3:05 pm

We were here last Tuesday and also saw the "Road Closed" sign, but decided to chance it, met a campervan coming the other way, turns out the road was closed over a small hump bridge at the lodge?! We had driven all the way round the coast from Gairloch to Durness, so it was not a welcome sight! Ben Hope was lovely, views were amazing, not a cloud in the sky. 8)
audreywaugh
Wanderer

Munros:196   Corbetts:46
Fionas:14   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:47   Islands:20

Postby Graeme D » Wed May 09, 2012 3:50 pm

Nice! Every man and his dog seems to be heading up that way soon. Gives me something to look forward to when I go up there myself ....... in or around 2020 most likely! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby bootsandpaddles » Wed May 09, 2012 4:49 pm

Graeme D wrote:Nice! Every man and his dog seems to be heading up that way soon. Gives me something to look forward to when I go up there myself ....... in or around 2020 most likely! :lol:

It'll still be there!!
bootsandpaddles

Postby simon-b » Thu May 10, 2012 12:25 am

Thanks for the photos of those brilliant views, bootsandpaddles.

I was on Ben Hope and Klibreck in March and got the notorious Sutherland gales and clag in a week of otherwise fine weather. Not complaining though, Ben Hope's western cliffs wreathed in mist, and the wind roaring against them, was very atmospheric and impressive. And on the way down from Klibreck things cleared, and there was a magnificent view of Ben Loyal to the north.

All the enthusiasm on this thread for this area and Assynt is well deserved. Those who say you are coming here soon are in for a treat.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland