walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Stuchd in Blue Blue Skies

The Stuchd in Blue Blue Skies

Postby L-Hiking » Tue May 08, 2012 5:14 pm

Route description: Stuchd an Lochain

Munros included on this walk: Stùcd an Lochain

Date walked: 29/04/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10.2 km

Ascent: 550m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Arriving at the dam around 9.45 there were quite a few cars here already but managed to get a place alongside the road. We were both greeted as we got out of the car with the sight of a Golden Eagle soaring not too far above. The spectacle took my breath away and I froze not moving so as not to drive the bird away too quickly. As it happened the creature kept circling getting ever higher with little beat of its powerful wings, we watched it disappear over Meall Buidhe.

Great start to the day :D

Anyway I am not going to discuss the way to go on this route as many of you on WH have wrote reports in the past which indeed is where I researched my route from. Thanks to all of you for reporting missing the turn uphill towards the Giorra Dam and quoting this on WH, as a result I made the correct turn. However I do recognise how easy it is to miss the turn and keep going past the turn off. :lol:

The way up is clear and a small cairn marks the spot on a track before the boathouse where you begin the gentle traverse up the hill, soon you are above the boat house where the route becomes much steeper. There is need I believe of some restoration work here as the countless thousands of boots looking for a good foothold have eroded the hillside. We followed what looked like a dried up stream bed which in all probability had been created with the erosion of boots. As would be expected on such a clear day the views got better and better as we climbed.and in no time at all reached Creag an Fheadain. The top of Stuchd an Lochain can be seen from here for the first time, however the anticipated view of the lochan below was not yet in view.

As we progressed towards the top of Sron Chrona Chorein the lochan and its corrie come into view and it is a tremendous sight indeed. Mountains were appearing from everywhere I have never witnessed such a clear day and was absolutely delighted.

The way to the summit is clear from here and there are the remains of old metal fence posts to guide you all the way to the summit. after a steep final climb to the top.

On reaching the summit cairn I witnessed the best ever view I had seen in my visits to Scotland and was simply struck in awe at its beauty. All around and as far as the eye could see were magnificent peaks, and standing there proudly was the mighty Ben and the Mamores, the Glen Coe Hills appeared as though you could reach out and touch them, Mighty Ben More and its companion Stob Binien were equally stunning with their caps of snow..

Ben Alder is a massive bulk and is now included on my list of must do, to the right of Ben Alder in the distance and shining white were the magnificent Cairngorm Mountains. I really could not believe how clear everything was today and was in my absolute element.

I only have a few opportunities to venture North and my last visit to the Highlands was in September of last year when my wife Carol and I walked the West Highland Way in awful weather, followed by a similar trip in clag on Skye with little views on any of these days :( , so to see this spectacle following that experience was wonderful.
P1010709.JPG
The Giorra Dam
P1010710.JPG
View from the dam wall into Loch an Daimh.
P1010711.JPG
The view from above the boathouse
P1010713.JPG
The first view of the summit and the wonderful panorama of mountains
P1010715.JPG
A little further on and the lochan comes into view below those magnificent cliffs
P1010731.JPG
Looking down to the Lochan
P1010716.JPG
Stuchd an lochan with the Ben in the distance
P1010718.JPG
The Ben and CMD zoomed from the same spot
P1010719.JPG
Glen Coe hills and Rannoch Moor, I couldnt see 20 yards in front of me when I did the WHY in September so this was spectacular
P1010721.JPG
Crianlarich Hills
P1010722.JPG
Glen Coe again
P1010724.JPG
P1010728.JPG
Lawers Range of Hills
P1010730.JPG
The Gorms

A wonderful day was had today and saw much much more than I have ever seen .....I am totaly hooked and realise I cannot climb many of those beautiful hills because of my home location. However i have a few in my sights and certainly enjoyed them today without climbing them all .Cheers all :D
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Re: The Stuchd in Blue Blue Skies

Postby dooterbang » Wed May 09, 2012 1:58 pm

Nice to see you up these parts, and enjoying the lovely weather :)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby SusieThePensioner » Wed May 09, 2012 3:20 pm

Wow, what fantastic photos of those amazing views :thumbup:

So glad you and Carol had some good weather, Geoff :D At least it took your mind off the football :( :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Graeme D » Wed May 09, 2012 3:46 pm

I think that's as nice a day and as clear a set of photies as I've ever seen for that hill. My own experience of it was utterly miserable and that is some understatement!
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby L-Hiking » Thu May 10, 2012 2:44 pm

dooterbang wrote:Nice to see you up these parts, and enjoying the lovely weather :)

Cheers Paul great daay just wonderful

SusieThePensioner wrote:Wow, what fantastic photos of those amazing views :thumbup:

So glad you and Carol had some good weather, Geoff :D At least it took your mind off the football :( :lol:

Football!!!! its the cricket season now :lol:

Graeme D wrote:I think that's as nice a day and as clear a set of photies as I've ever seen for that hill. My own experience of it was utterly miserable and that is some understatement!

Graeme thanks thoroughly enjoyed it
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu May 10, 2012 3:22 pm

Great day you got with superb views, you should come up more often as the weathers allways like this up here :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby simon-b » Thu May 10, 2012 8:50 pm

You got some brilliant views there, L-Hiking, seems like you had a great day. Persist with Scotland through the mist, wind and rain and the clear days come eventually! How long were/are you up for this time?

One good thing for us about the Southern Highlands is that we can do a Munro the same day as travelling to or from Yorkshire. I've done that with Ben Chonzie after driving up in the morning, and at the end of that week did Tarmachan Ridge before driving home in the afternoon.

I hope you get some more Scottish days like this one in the future.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Bod » Thu May 10, 2012 9:08 pm

Yep, nice one and a cracking day for it. I've enjoyed a few trips up Stuchd an Lochain in the past crossing over from Pubil at the back and ending up back down the to an awaiting minibus at the dam when I used to take Scouts hiking in Glen Lyon. A favourite munro of mine :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby L-Hiking » Fri May 11, 2012 11:17 am

Johnny Corbett wrote:Great day you got with superb views, you should come up more often as the weathers allways like this up here :D

ha ha :lol:

simon-b wrote:You got some brilliant views there, L-Hiking, seems like you had a great day. Persist with Scotland through the mist, wind and rain and the clear days come eventually!

Cheers Simon, yes I was delighted getting the good weather for a change...Spent a few days so got a couple more reports to do :D

Bod wrote:A favourite munro of mine

Cheers Bod, great mountain with lots of character too
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Postby Banditman » Sat May 12, 2012 8:17 am

Lovely pics. When I did this I was in the clag from the dam...:-). Looks like it would be worth another visit..:-).
Banditman
Scrambler

Munros:263   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:11

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland