walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Playing hide and seek with the hill fog on Sgor Gaoith

Playing hide and seek with the hill fog on Sgor Gaoith

Postby sloosh » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:41 am

Route description: Sgòr Gaoith, from Glen Feshie

Munros included on this walk: Sgòr Gaoith

Date walked: 25/09/2009

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sgor Gaoith2.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Set off walking through the woods from the starting point and was quickly at the large boulder marking that start of the Scottish Natural Heritage National Nature Reserve - then the path forked.

Followed my infallible sense of direction and took the right-hand path, crossed the bridge and continued up the track for a short while. For once, actually listened to the quiet voice in my head telling me something wasn't right and dug the Satmap out of my rucksack. Yep. I was on the wrong path. Turned around (thank goodness for satnav), re-crossed the bridge, returned to the fork and chose the left-hand route, the correct path. Headed up this terrific built-path through the pine and followed it for several kilometers until it abruptly ended at Allt a' Chrom-alltain.

bridge-from-correct-path.jpg

built-path.jpg

Then it was onto a track created by many boots, visible from the built path for quite a distance, and up for a few hundred metres until that too abruptly petered out. Saw a path crossing the hillside pretty much from north to south but couldn't tell if it was an old deer or sheep track or if it was an easy route to the bealach to the south but given my track record of blindly following random paths and ending up going off in the wrong direction I opted to ignore it and instead make a bee-line for the plateau.

Was a wee bit disappointed the hill fog hadn't lifted but hoped that by the time I made the top the cloud base would lift enough to reward my efforts with some nice views. Reached the summit plateau and was battered by the ever-increasing wind as it blasted across the top. Cloud began to lift a little and I could make out the top of the munro but I was keen to see the cliffs so I made my way towards the edge rather than the summit and hoped the wind didn't gust hard enough to blow me over it!

Hill fog began breaking up - perfect!

sgor-gaoith-hill-fog.jpg

rock-formation.jpg

sgor-gaoith.jpg

looking-south.jpg

just-below-summit.jpg

braeriach.jpg

Sat for about an hour enjoying the ever-changing views then headed off towards Geal-charn. Hill fog had returned to Sgor Gaoith by the time I got there.

pigeon.jpg

Flopped in the shelter cairn and managed to grab a quick picture of a very large and strange looking bird that looked like a cross between a grouse and a large pigeon. Turned out to be a rock. :lol:

sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Re: Playing hide and seek with the hill fog on Sgor Gaoith

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:48 am

I don't think it's a pigeon.... could it be a rock-dove? :wink:

I like seeing where you went wrong on the map. GPS tracks are a good way of spying on people's slip-ups and checking they got to the top :lol:
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby sloosh » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:42 pm

Paul Webster wrote:I like seeing where you went wrong on the map.

I was tempted to edit that part out. :lol: I doubt it will be the last time. :lol:
sloosh

Postby hills » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:20 am

I kept this for a clear day, and boy was that rewarded, what a viewpoint this is.
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby sloosh » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:50 am

I was dreading getting to the top and it being completely shrouded in hill fog. In fact I thought I'd misjudged the weather when I got to the top and the fog hadn't lifted. Wasn't what I expected at all but then it began to clear and it all worked out fine -- exactly what I'd hoped for. :)
sloosh

Postby Chumpster » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:28 pm

Hey Sloosh,

I did Sgor Gaoith after reading this last week. Thanks to your report I avoided the right turn at the begining, but I can see how tempting it could be! I was less lucky with the hillfog at the top but I did get a few moments between clouds to get an idea how good the view could be. That pigeon was still there!
Chumpster
Munro compleatist

Munros:9   Corbetts:2

Postby sloosh » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:39 pm

Hey Chumpster.

At least my wee detour turned out to be useful to someone. :)

It's a shame the hill fog didn't give you a break as the views are tremendous. tbh, this is one hill I'd be happy to do again (minus the wrong turns of course).
sloosh

Postby Chumpster » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:43 pm

Same! maybe in the Spring once I have a few more munroes under my belt.
Chumpster
Munro compleatist

Munros:9   Corbetts:2

Postby monty » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:16 am

HI Sloosh,
Excellent pictures down into the valley with the rocks below Sgor Gaoith. :D I regulary run past the main track and have to backtrack but then I am normally in too much of a hurry :lol: :lol: :lol: Nice report :D
monty

Postby sloosh » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:27 am

monty wrote:HI Sloosh,
Excellent pictures down into the valley with the rocks below Sgor Gaoith. :D I regulary run past the main track and have to backtrack but then I am normally in too much of a hurry :lol: :lol: :lol: Nice report :D

Thanks. :)

Aha! You run round the munros! I knew it! That's the walker's equivalent of taking a funicular railway. :lol:

I often put my head down and follow the path in front of me only to realise a little way (or a long way) further on that I'm going in the wrong direction. At least I'm getting better at checking the satnav -- only a few hundred metres the wrong way last time. :lol:
sloosh

Postby gedme » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:36 pm

Great photos and it does look like a bird. Great write up to would like to do this to.
gedme
Munro compleatist

Munros:32   Corbetts:3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland