walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Magical tour from Corrour Station to Tulloch Station

A Magical tour from Corrour Station to Tulloch Station

Postby steven65 » Thu May 10, 2012 6:35 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn na Lap, Chno Dearg, Stob Coire Sgriodain

Date walked: 02/05/2012

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 22.5 km

Ascent: 1658m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was off on holiday last week & we had various things planned - but i also managed to squeeze in 3 outings and cover 12 Munros :thumbup: , this walk report is for the 2nd outing from Corrour up to Tulloch.
We all operate at different levels , i enjoyed "rockhoppers" report - perhaps i should have camped too & covered a differnt route ?????
I drove to Crianlarich parked up & caught the 07:44 train to Corrour .This train is the overnight sleeper from London - dogs generally are not allowed on it - however a fellow walker also getting the train (he was going to walk from Corrour to Fort William) said Oskar would probably get on as the staff were usually very good . Just incase Oskar didn't get on i had a Plan B in mind , to do Stob Ghabhar and Stob a'Choire Odhair instead. However my intended walk was a goer as the train staff were great.
The train had 2 sleeping compartments & a seated carriage at the rear which wasn't very busy , i bought a return to Tulloch which was the cheapest option , there was no charge for Oskar - result :-o .
I thoroughly enjoyed the train journey ,it was a cloudless day with clear blue skies & the views from the train were trully awesome ! On getting off at Corrour i had a wee chat with the guy heading for Fort William , he said i'd need to push on if i was to catch the 18:09 train home from Tulloch.........more on this later !
I had a wee word with a couple heading to Beinn na Lap , they were surprised - but pleased that Oskar had got on the train as they would have liked to have brought their dog too. The route was easy to follow along the trackway then cutting left before the trees to take to the hillside with the views opening up all around me.
Braw eh ! the view or the dug ?
At 09:48 at 700 M i met a guy descending with his noisy :lol: dog he'd camped over the previous night , a wee chat & off we went continuing up , i got to the summit at 10:32 which i thought was great timing for me.
Vista
I had a coffee & a s/wich then took some fotos before continuing down towards the Allt Feith Thuill , this was quite a steep descent !! , however the views were great.
It was very hot & sunny i reached the Allt Feith Thuill directly below Meall Garbh which towered above me at 976M , here i refilled my platypus from the burn & had a rest , then i crossed the very rough & broken ground leading over towards Creagan Coire nan Cnamh this was quite tiring ,thank goodness it was dry as the bog would be tough going in the wet. I reached Creagan Coire nan Cnamh at approx 12:37
to Strathossian House & Loch Ghuilbinn
Then on up to Sron Ruadh , this too was very steep & hard work in the sun.
back to Beinn na Lap
and again from a wee bit further on.
snow cornice collapsing into Coire nan Cnamh
and again from higher up.
I stopped for a breather at 13:24 & was glad to reach the top section leading onto the platteau towards Chno Dearg , which still had some snowy sections left.
Again a 5 min breather here en route at 14:44. It was a joy & a relief to top out as it had taken me quite a while .
fotos hopefully in sequence – need to “clean up “ camera !
I wanted a break & a breather but time was now a factor , i'd summited at 15:18 .Quite quickly i made my way round to Stob Coire Sgriodain allowing myself an hour to do this , i took slightly longer & despite being fearful of the time thoroughly enjoyed the walk & the views. Atop S C S i briefly took some fotos before moving down off the hill as fast as i could towards Fersit & Tulloch Station , the return train was due at 18:09.
absolutely wonderful
Ditto
Loch Treig – water level very low.
It was a very steep & rugged descent down over Sron na Garbh-bheinne ,still the sun firing down on me ,again i refilled my platyus at a burn , i was tiring a bit & hungry too. The farm buildings below me were now getting closer but i was still a fair bit away from them & the final road out .
The clock too was still ticking away :shock:
Here i made a decision , i was tired & hungry . Rest time . I knew within myself if i really pushed on that i wouldn't make the train , i had too far still to go. So Oskar & i shared the last of the food & i opened my 1 & only can of cider as a comiseration drink . I sat for 25 mins & saw the train depart heading south - i took a foto of it but it's not very clear , my camera is only a wee Samsung cheapo one . I wasn't too sad at missing the train , the rest & food had lifted me a bit , so i continued down heading left at the farm fields to avoid the cows/bulls. Back now onto a gravelly track past the cottages, i'd decided not to follow the minor access road to the A86 & onto the station but rather to follow the River Treig as it made it's way towards the rear of the station & go through the trees there.The river was very low - you need to cross it twice - 1 section was totally bone dry & the other was easily forded ,
Tulloch Station on left of bridge 1 minute – River Treig LOW
However the fields approaching the river were very wet underfoot . It was a relief to get to the station - it was now 19:09 i'd taken 10 hrs 2 mins for the route !
distance 22.4km height gain - 1658 M height loss 1863M max height 1035M min height 193M
I've managed quite a few hills this year & although not a fast walker by any means , i feel i always cope quite well.
I'm sure other folks could manage this within the train timeframe - but don't underestimate it !!!!!
However on this occasion i was well out .
Luckily the crew on the next ( & last train ) at 20:30 let me on - it too being an overnight London bound train & dogs generally not being allowed .This train was quiet as well only 4 people being in the carriage . I'd do this walk again , hopefully on a cooler day & probably without Oskar - just incase eh !
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

steven65
Mountain Walker

Munros:262   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Re: A Magical tour from Corrour Station to Tulloch Station

Postby luckyguy68 » Thu May 10, 2012 7:07 pm

You certainly got a braw day for it. Would'nt fancy this one in the rain. Oskar has one of those sad faces that would get on the train nae bother :clap:
luckyguy68
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:8   

Postby quoman » Thu May 10, 2012 7:16 pm

A quality report steven and wee oskar look like a wee posser :lol:
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5

Postby dooterbang » Thu May 10, 2012 7:25 pm

Enjoyable read and some great photos.

Glad you managed to get on the later sleeper.

Nice area this.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby rockhopper » Thu May 10, 2012 10:21 pm

Great stuff steven and a lovely day for it :thumbup: Does look vaguely familiar :lol: Like you, I'd toyed with various routes but the overriding issue was the train timetable hence the reason for camping. Interesting that there have been a few reports recently from this area with different routes - shows the variety of possible routes, circular and straight, without the need to go out and back the same way - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Alan S » Thu May 10, 2012 10:39 pm

Good stuff steven 8)
Those views of loch treig take some beating
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby steven65 » Fri May 11, 2012 9:51 pm

luckyguy68 wrote:You certainly got a braw day for it. Would'nt fancy this one in the rain. Oskar has one of those sad faces that would get on the train nae bother :clap:

Hi luckyguy - i'm quite glad im not up there this coming weekend !
But i'll definately go back up Loch Ossian way again
steven65
Mountain Walker

Postby steven65 » Fri May 11, 2012 9:52 pm

quoman wrote:A quality report steven and wee oskar look like a wee posser :lol:

Cheers Quoman , another 3 in the bag - the journey continues on it's merry way.
steven65
Mountain Walker

Postby steven65 » Fri May 11, 2012 9:55 pm

dooterbang wrote:Enjoyable read and some great photos.

Glad you managed to get on the later sleeper.

Nice area this.

Thanks Dooterbang , i didn't really consider not getting on the return train - her indoors would possibly have come & collected me otherwise ? - but i was very pleasant & appreciative to the train staff
steven65
Mountain Walker

Postby steven65 » Fri May 11, 2012 9:57 pm

rockhopper wrote:Great stuff steven and a lovely day for it :thumbup: Does look vaguely familiar :lol: Like you, I'd toyed with various routes but the overriding issue was the train timetable hence the reason for camping. Interesting that there have been a few reports recently from this area with different routes - shows the variety of possible routes, circular and straight, without the need to go out and back the same way - cheers :D

It was a lovely day rockhopper - the weather did the route justice , to do it clagged in would be robbery , i'm hoping to get a few overnighters away during the "summer" :lol:
steven65
Mountain Walker

Postby steven65 » Fri May 11, 2012 9:58 pm

alan s wrote:Good stuff steven 8)
Those views of loch treig take some beating

Cheers Alan , i took some fotos of Loch Treig from the train home - it was very LOW !
steven65
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland