walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Playing it safe on Meall Ghaordaidh

Playing it safe on Meall Ghaordaidh

Postby fipriestley » Fri May 11, 2012 12:25 am

Munros included on this walk: Meall Ghaordaidh

Date walked: 08/05/2012

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

When I first thought about doing this hill I wanted to go for a big day out, carrying on to the Corbett Beinn nan Oighreag then over to Tarmachan and back down the SW ridge to circle back to the car at Glen Lochay... but today I was just out for a short one so aiming for the one Munro with the Corbett as an optional extra :lol:

Long weekend away, getting the last flight home at midnight, so I didn't jump up when the alarm went off in the morning :o The car park at Glen Lochay was empty when I arrived and it was just after noon when I started walking. The postman I'd followed right around the glen (after taking a detour when I came across pot hole repairs causing a road block) kindly pointed out the starting point and told me to just follow the path all the way up... clearly thought after getting stuck on the road I needed directions all the way :thumbup: :lol:

Cloudy but dry, I followed the directions on the route description. I stopped to take plenty of photos, including this one of my target hill where the summit was still hidden from view
SDC13563.JPG
cairn with pole!!
Of course it wasn't until I looked over my pictures at home that I spotted the pole and realised this should have been my turn off point! :roll: :lol: Instead I was looking for the shielings first and came across them within 10mins.
SDC13566.JPG
shielings
Now I started looking for the cairn to turn off and could see lots of faint 'paths' heading up the hill but nothing that seemed like a well trodden route. Checked the GPS at one point and confirmed I was still on the path marked on my printed map, but eventually just turned to head up the hill initially following an old fence then continuing straight up.
SDC13570.JPG
followed the fence

The ground was soft in places but really not too boggy and I could just about make out a path in places. The summit cloud disappeared as I rounded the shoulder of this hill I've seen described as a 'grassy lump'.
SDC13584.JPG
As I neared the last part of my ascent, path disappearing again, I figured as long as I was heading up then that was the right direction... so picked my way around the snow patches and climbed up the rocks :D
SDC13600.JPG
SDC13604.JPG
view to Tarmachan Ridge

Made it to the summit and before I'd taken my second photo another climber arrived! :shock: I hadn't spotted anyone else on the hill and had taken plenty photos of views behind me. Of course he had taken the more direct route rather than my (more interesting!) skirt around to climb the rocks. :lol: As we stopped for a blether the clag came in quickly and views disappeared.
SDC13619.JPG
clag comes down at the summit
Chatted to my fellow summiter and talked myself out of carrying on for the Corbett - getting later and poor visibility meant I was happy to just head back down the path I'd missed on the way up. :D Definitely more boggy this way though.

The Welsh physio stayed at the summit for a few minutes longer as he was hoping the clag would soon clear again. 1.5 months in to his 4 months off work, he's cycling and camping, working his way around all the Munros - this was no. 86 for him. :clap: He quickly caught up with me on the way down again and was a great advert for his more ergonomic walking poles :thumbup: as he left me for standing :lol:

From the top the path back was much easier to spot and the clag soon lifted.
SDC13625.JPG
path down
Looking back I could see how far round I'd gone to get up there, but on a clear day like this it was pretty straightforward just heading up the hill not being too concerned with staying on a path.
SDC13634.JPG
looking back to summit
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Playing it safe on Meall Ghaordaidh

Postby 2dalmatians » Sun May 13, 2012 7:03 am

Nice report Fi. I climbed this one a couple of months back and took the same "path" as you up the fence line by the looks of it. It was my second attempt as I had to turn back in deep snow the first time! :shock:
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland