walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

On the way to Skye - Meall a'Bhuiridh and Creise

On the way to Skye - Meall a'Bhuiridh and Creise

Postby mrssanta » Sun May 13, 2012 9:06 pm

Munros included on this walk: Creise, Meall a' Bhùiridh

Date walked: 06/05/2012

Distance: 8.9 km

Ascent: 819m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I believe I mentioned once or twice that we planned a trip to Skye to climb all the Skye munros with a guide. We've been training by going fast up our local hill Roseberry Topping, 200m ascent from our house, twice a week. not exactly a Munro but beggars can't be choosers.
Anyway the day has finally arrived and we are off to Skye, I'm like a child waiting for Christmas! Been making lists for weeks. We stopped overnight on Saturday with relatives in Glasgow and were away by about 9.30am not quite as early as we'd hoped but not bad at all.
We decided it would be nice to fit in a good warm up not too long not too short on the way. we thought of the Wee Bookil but promised to save that to do with the wee one, so we did Meall a'Bhuiridh and Creise instead. Because we wanted to be at Glenbrittle by 8pm we went up the chairlift and got ourselves a good start. Call it helping the local economy as it wasn't cheap!!
Turning right out of the place the lift drops you, we went up the northwest shoulder of Meall a'Bhuiridh, getting to use our crampons for the top bit although we didnt have to as we could have walked on rocks all the way up. After a couple of false summits the top arrives rather suddenly.
Just a quick breather and a summit pic and off we go down the rather lovely connecting ridge up to Creise. As penance for our wickedness, and because it was rather fun, we went to the top of Clach Leathad which used to be considered the summit, before reaching the top of Creise just as a party of twenty or so from Perth Walking club arrived from the other direction.
Then you have to retrace your steps back to Meall a'Bhuiridh, although we did cut across to the left across the snow near the top.
the weather was rather good to us, virtually no wind, bit of snow but mostly we could see snow showers across the surrounding hills and Rannoch Moor.
Back down to the car and off on our way to Skye. A good start to what has turned out to be a completely fantastic week.
P5060586.JPG
looking over to Ben Nevis from the shoulder of Meall a'Bhuiridh

P5060594.JPG
having fun in the snow

P5060595.JPG
looking over to Creise

P5060599.JPG
me on the top. Mrs Santa has a new coat, so is now in disguise.

P5060600.JPG
Weather

P5060604.JPG
the connecting ridge

P5060607.JPG
lookiing over to Stob Gabhar from Clach Leathad

P5060611.JPG
me on Clach Leathad with Ben Nevis and Creise summit behind
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: On the way to Skye - Meall a'Bhuiridh and Creise

Postby dooterbang » Sun May 13, 2012 9:12 pm

I have great eyesight :wink:

Looking forward to the Skye reports...hopefully in more favourable conditions.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Graeme D » Sun May 13, 2012 9:23 pm

Not bad at all as "warm ups" go! 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby mrssanta » Sun May 13, 2012 9:36 pm

dooterbang wrote:I have great eyesight :wink:

Drat
I promise you there was no cheating on Skye!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Gavin99 » Sun May 13, 2012 9:55 pm

Well on doing your bit for the local economy in these troubled times , looking forward to reading about your island adventures :D
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:78   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby davetherave » Sun May 13, 2012 10:15 pm

Nice wee limber up you had. Already looking forward to the icing on the cake part.

Don't keep us waiting to long.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby morag1 » Mon May 14, 2012 8:34 am

Nice warm up for your week in Skye, cant wait to read all about your adventures :thumbup:

enjoyed seeing your photos :D
morag1

Postby dogplodder » Mon May 14, 2012 9:49 am

Enjoyed this as I've these two to do - hopefully as soon as my buddy Moira has healed from getting the troublesome metalwork removed from her ankle! :shock:

I was also excited to read you live at the foot of Roseberry Topping! As exiled Scots my family lived in Marske (went to school in Redcar) and RT was a favourite picnic spot. I loved the pointed top of it - what a delightful place to live! :D

Good to see you've joined the blue jacket brigade! :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland