walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fun in the Sun on the southern Cuillin

Fun in the Sun on the southern Cuillin

Postby mrssanta » Sun May 13, 2012 11:30 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Alasdair, Sgùrr Dubh Mòr, Sgùrr nan Eag

Date walked: 07/05/2012

Time taken: 10.5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1473m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was the first day of our four days with a guided group bagging the Cuillin Munros and I am struggling to find the words to describe the experience. Stunning, fantastic, amazing. I'm still buzzing after a day of washing, unpacking and putting things away!!
We decided some time ago that if we were ever going to climb the Cuillin then we would need a guide. My husband is not very keen on heights, and the reports and books we'd read suggested that we would struggle on our own. the maps even the Harvey map don't really describe the situation adequately. so we booked a week's holiday, arranged grandparents to keep house and phoned Skye Hi aka Graham and Annie Paterson. I'd recommend Graham and Annie to everyone, thank you so much for an indescribably excellent week.
So here we were on Monday morning at 8am meeting up with Graham and the other four members of the group for the first time. With a bit of trepidation. would they be nice, would they all be loads fitter than us and leave us peching miles behind? we needn't have worried as we made a great team, excellent banter and by the end of the week I can safely say we have made some friends we will never forget.
Anyway on with the walky stuff.
here is a route map for our first day. Only it might not be quite right as it was great not to worry at all about the route finding through all these boulders and slabs and scree and other scary stuff.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

From the campsite at Glanbrittle there is a view out to Canna and as you climb the hill this opens out towards Rum and Soay comes into view as well.
P5070622.JPG
in the foreground you can see a ring of boulders dropped by the last glaciers, then the island of Soay (although you can't see from here that it is an island) and Rum and its Cuillin, with Eigg and Muck also visible

So we gradually climb around the side of Sron na Ciche where there is a good path, and up into Coire a'Ghrundda where we crossed some slabs below the outflow of the lochan. Then up a very bouldery slope, halfway up which we stopped for our first lunch and left our packs. We continued on up to where we suddenly came to the ridge with the most amazing views over the other side into Coir'Uisk and across to Bla Bheinn and the mainland.
P5070625.JPG
Coire a'Ghrundda, I think the peak is Sgurr Dubh an Da Bheinn which isn't a Munro. very rocky and bouldery.

P5070636.JPG
Sgurr Alasdair on the left, just to its right is Sgurr Thearlaich, Sgurr Dubh an Da Bheinn on the right. Later we walked (if that's what you call it!) across the top of the screes just below Sgurr Alasdair to reach the chimney we climbed to the top.

P5070637.JPG
Looking over the top of the ridge down to Loch Coruisk and over to Loch Hourn on the right in the background. Bla Bheinn on the left.

From this point it was a bit of scrambling and a walk along the ridge to the summit of Sgurr nan Eag, our first Skye munro.
P5070644.JPG
View from the top of Sgurr nan Eag looking north along the ridge, the Inn Pinn just sticking up on the extreme left, then Sgurr Alasdair and Sgurr Thearlaich next to it, behind I think is Sgurr na Banachdich, and on the right in the foreground is Sgurr Dubh an Da Bheinn and Sgurr Dubh Mor, our next target.

For the next hour and a bit I didn't take any pictures as it was all some rather exciting scrambling which Graham took us along back down to where we had dumped the bags, across under the great lump of Caisteal a'Garbh-Choire and Sgurr Dubh an Da Bheinn, then up to the next summit, Sgurr Dubh Mor. this was great fun and Graham quickly sussed us out as to which ones were confident and which ones less so, showing us where to put hands and feet while clambering around us as if it was just some rocks on the seashore.
P5070649.JPG
From the top of Sgurr Dubh Mor looking north to Sgurr nan Gillean on the right, to the left of that Am Basteir with its tooth, and then Sgurr a Fionn Choire and Bruach na Frithe. Saving them for Friday. In front of them the great ridge of Druim nan Ramh and the triple-pointed Bidein Druim nan Ramh at the top of it.

some more exploring of cliffs and scrambling here and there took us eventually to the top of Sgurr Alasdair, the highest point on Skye.
P5070657.JPG
looking down to Coire Ghrunnda from the ridge

P5070660.JPG
somewhere along the top of the scree before ascending to the top of Sgurr Alasdair

P5070655.JPG
a wee plant high up on the ridge

P5070664.JPG
looking donw from top of sgurr alasdair to the ridge on Sgurr Thearlaich. Rather glad we don't have to go on that bit, looks very scary. that's my husband's head in the corner of the picture

from the top of alasdair we soon reached the top of the Great Stone Chute, our descent route, 1000 feet down scree which is pretty horrid. This is a usual way up to Sgurr Alasdair, described by Graham as "purgatory" to go up. it was pretty hard coming down too but we made it into Coire Lagan from where there is a good path back to the campsite and tea.
P5070669.JPG
top of the great stone chute

P5070670.JPG
about two thirds of the way down

P5070673.JPG
Loch Coire Lagan. At this point the clag had come down a bit and it started to snow, but it didnt last very long.
Last edited by mrssanta on Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: Fun in the Sun on the southern Cuillin

Postby luckyguy68 » Sun May 13, 2012 11:53 pm

Looked like you got a pretty decent day for it. Cant wait to do these hills sometime in the future. Great report :clap:
luckyguy68
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Bod » Sun May 13, 2012 11:54 pm

Wow!!! is all I will say for tonight, great stuff. I will get back to this tomorrow for sure and look forward to more :D :D :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby Collaciotach » Mon May 14, 2012 7:31 am

Grand stuff mrs ..gu dearbh :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby morag1 » Mon May 14, 2012 8:38 am

Well done both of you on getting to the very highest point of the Cuillin :thumbup:

Think if I ever attempted anything like that I would hire a guide as well, better safe than sorry

Looking forward to the next report, did you do the In Pinn :-D
morag1

Postby quoman » Mon May 14, 2012 9:06 am

Some place skye absolutely stunning.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Ranger » Mon May 14, 2012 9:39 am

Brings back the memories, you had similar conditions to my day on the same hills - well done :D
Ranger

Munros:282   Corbetts:74
Fionas:13   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Postby dogplodder » Mon May 14, 2012 10:21 am

The thought of going down the Great Stone Chute is giving me the heebie jeebies - think I'd rather go for the Purgatory option! :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby soulminer » Mon May 14, 2012 12:21 pm

Enjoyable read there Ms :) Liked the Thearlaich picture, having crossed it- your right it is scary :lol:
soulminer

Postby monarchming » Mon May 14, 2012 12:48 pm

Well done mrs santa! Fab report and pics! :thumbup:
monarchming
Munro compleatist

Munros:162   

Postby BlackPanther » Mon May 14, 2012 12:58 pm

There's no place like Skye, especially the Cuillin.
We are going to IOS in June (holidays booked, tent ready :D :D ). I'd like to try Sgurr Dubh Mor, hopefully I'll manage... I've been on the other two, Sgurr nan Eag is a cracker even climbed on its own. And Coire a'Ghrunnda is a magical spot :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby robertphillips » Mon May 14, 2012 1:06 pm

Well done kate a excellent report it was a great week. :D
robertphillips
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:423   Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   Islands:39

Postby Scotjamie » Mon May 14, 2012 3:30 pm

thoroughly enjoyed that mrsS
A wee inspiration to a fearty such as myself to go see these hills :)
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon May 14, 2012 6:37 pm

Everytime i read a Cuillins report i tell myself i must get up there, hopefully this will be the year. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby jonny616 » Mon May 14, 2012 7:03 pm

Really great read & pics to match. Looking forward to reading the others 8)
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland