walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Quinag

Quinag

Postby David Lyall » Sun May 13, 2012 2:11 pm

Route description: Quinag: three Corbetts

Corbetts included on this walk: Quinag - Sàil Gharbh, Quinag - Sàil Ghorm, Quinag - Spidean Coinich

Date walked: 09/05/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 13.6 km

Ascent: 1190m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

John was very insistent that I not just tick of all the rather dull Munro’s in this area so we headed for Quinag.
800px-Loch_Assynt_-_Ardvreck_Castle.jpg
Loch Assynt and Ardvreck Castle with Quinag looking amazing. not one of my pictures but it seemed to good to leave out.

We started our walk in from A894 between Loch Assynt and Kylesku. There is a great stalkers path leading up to the Corrie between Spidean Coinich and Sail Gharbh. Opposite the lochan there is a path heading up the flank of Sail Gharbh the path is having work carried out on it but is a good way to reach the summit of Sail Gharbh, the cloud was down so the views were non existent.
Quinag (2).JPG
John at the top of Sail Gharbh the cloud was still on the tops at this time.

From here we headed back along the ridge I headed right towards Sail Gorm, John went left to shorten his day and safe his knees from to much wear and tear. As I headed along the ridge I was below the cloud and got some great views out to sea.
Quinag (3).JPG
Some stunning cliffs to the rear of the ridge.

Sail Gorm top was still in the cloud but soon after the cloud cleared and the views were stunning.
Quinag (7).JPG
Near the top of Sail Gorm looking back along the ridge.

Quinag (18).JPG
Me almost at the top of Spidean Coinich

I now had to retrace my steps then carry on along the ridge and head up to Spidean Coinich the last top for the day great looking cliffs on the way to the summit.
Quinag (17).JPG
I'm on the ridge with the sea behind heading up to meet John on the last top.

After meeting up with John at the top we had a bit to eat and a seat in the sunshine before heading down the broad ridge amazing rock quartzite strata. Once at the bottom of the ridge we headed left to meet up with the path we started on and soon back to the car park from whence we came. :)
We were staying quite close by in a place called Elphin which just happens to have some great views of Suliven. Thanks to "Heavey" for the gin and tonic to sip while we enjoyed watching the sun going down.
Suilven from Elphin.jpg
Setting sun at Elphin
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by David Lyall on Mon May 14, 2012 10:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
David Lyall
Munro compleatist

Munros:200   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   

Re: Quinag

Postby bootsandpaddles » Sun May 13, 2012 2:32 pm

Shame you didn't put any photos in your report. I have admired Quinag from afar on several occasions and it is definitely on my to do list.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby David Lyall » Mon May 14, 2012 10:40 am

bootsandpaddles wrote:Shame you didn't put any photos in your report. I have admired Quinag from afar on several occasions and it is definitely on my to do list.

Sorry I had started the report and did not have time to finish it, I have added a few photos now, it was a great day well worth doing. :D
David Lyall
Munro compleatist

Postby soulminer » Mon May 14, 2012 12:09 pm

Any wander up Quinag is always worthwhile. Must admit, have only ever started on Spidean Coinich any time I have walked up these. The first time was a 'roaster' and even came back over Spidean as I parked in the layby just underneath, on the left- boiled my heid that day, mind you my thighs did a fair bit of screaming :lol: , but still worth the effort :thumbup:
Favourite area in Scotland, and are the sunsets not just magical 8)
Cheers for the reminder.
soulminer

Postby David Lyall » Tue May 15, 2012 10:10 am

soulminer wrote:Any wander up Quinag is always worthwhile. Must admit, have only ever started on Spidean Coinich any time I have walked up these. The first time was a 'roaster' and even came back over Spidean as I parked in the layby just underneath, on the left- boiled my heid that day, mind you my thighs did a fair bit of screaming :lol: , but still worth the effort :thumbup:
Favourite area in Scotland, and are the sunsets not just magical 8)
Cheers for the reminder.

Ye defiantly one to remember.
David Lyall
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland