walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Good Walk Spoilt

A Good Walk Spoilt

Postby Jockstar » Sun May 13, 2012 8:43 pm

Route description: An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chròin, near Crianlarich

Munros included on this walk: An Caisteal, Beinn a' Chròin

Date walked: 05/05/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1045m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We were determined to keep our walking going after a much improved beginning to the year (for us!) having already climbed seven munros. With this in mind we also thought that it was time to get our bigger tent out for an airing and I thought that An Caisteal and Beinn a’ Chroin would be a good walk being only five minutes from The Pine Trees caravan and camping site at Tyndrum. I would recommend this place as it was very friendly and spotlessly clean.

P1010996.JPG
Pine Trees, Tyndrum

The weather forecast was good for the Saturday and so we drove the 5 minutes down to Crianlarich before turning right to the lay-by which was the start of the walk. There were many cars parked up and I thought it would be a busy afternoon. The start was across the boggy field (and it is certainly muddy!) before getting to the underpass and out onto the farm track and started walking along the landrover track.

IMGP8942.JPG
Across the field to the underpass

IMGP8951.JPG
Hello Deer !

P1010998.JPG
Beinn A' Chroin

There is a choice of going straight up to Sron Gharbh or to follow the landrover track until you come to the end and then climb up to join the path leading to An Caisteal. We chose the latter route which made it a steep and boggy pull up to the start of the path to An Caisteal.

P1010999.JPG
An Caisteal

We stopped for a rest and had a bite to eat, meeting people coming up and down the path.

P1020005.JPG
Dinner time

IMGP8960.JPG
Ruby and myself having a rest

IMGP8958.JPG
ruby having fun on the wee scramble

One guy we met had already done four munros that day and was disappointed that he hadn’t got the five he sat out to do! We started out on the path, aptly named Twistin Hill and towards An Caisteal and managed to get over the first ‘step’ without too much bother. We then get through a tricky wee scramble with Su and myself getting Ruby through that bit and then headed up the path to the cairn at An Caisteal and our first Munro of the day.

DSCF3335.JPG
At the cairn of An Caisteal

P1020019.JPG
At the cairn of An Caisteal

P1020008.JPG
Su

We took a number of photos as the light was good with views towards Ben More and Stob Binnein and towards Arrochar to the West. After having a rest we decided to go down to the Bealach Buide below. I could see the path heading up the side of Beinn a’ Chroin and the second Munro of the day. At that point Su had told me that she couldn’t go any further which was a blow and I decided that I would go on my own to Beinn a’ Chroin, leaving Su and Ruby to go down from the Bealach on their own and I would meet them at the end of the shoulder that takes you down from Beinn a’ Chroin. As I managed to get past the scramble I was soon on the top and took a number of photos to make sure that I got the correct cairn, and then made my way along the top and down the shoulder to rejoin Su who had by that time had to carry Ruby down the steep slope down to the grassy ridge.

P1020020.JPG
At the cairn on Beinn a' Chroin

P1020024.JPG
Across to An Caisteal

DSCF3317.JPG
Ben More & Stuc a' Chronin

DSCF3328.JPG
Bealach Buide

I am unsure why I made the decision of leaving Su and Ruby on the day which broke the cardinal rule of not leaving someone on their own as I would normally have done the right thing and made sure that Su and Ruby would be looked after until we were off the hill. Is it that I have become a ‘must do’ Munro Bagger with the strength to be able to do more than one Munro in the day, especially with one so close to adding to my total. More likely is that I became very selfish and didn’t look at any repercussion that would happen as I looked to add another to my total. Either way I apologize to Su and Ruby and am ashamed of my behaviour. One thing for sure is that it won’t happen again, as I value them more than I could any hill.
Attachments
P1020009.JPG
towards Loch Katrine
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Re: A Good Walk Spoilt

Postby Bod » Sun May 13, 2012 8:51 pm

A good honest report there Jockstar, well done :D :D :lol: . Great walk that apart the km's of bog down the glen.......nice up the side of Beinn a'Chroin
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun May 13, 2012 8:54 pm

Hi Brian,we all do silly things on ths spur of the moment,you would think when we get to our age we would know better :lol: .The main thing is all got back safe.

PS.bet Sue gave you what for when you met back up.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Gavin99 » Sun May 13, 2012 9:05 pm

A good and frank report Brian , all is well that ends well. You are getting a few nice walks done recently , wee ruby must be superfit :D
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:79   Donalds:71
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby dooterbang » Sun May 13, 2012 9:08 pm

seems like you got Munro fever.

I was in the same position yesterday when i took a non hillwalking friend to do the Ben Alder 6. He got scared when on the ridge to our 4th Munro as it was 2ft wide with sheer drops at each side, the fresh snow wasnt helping nor the clag and high winds!! It was less distance to complete the last 3 munros but i instantly made the choice to get him down safely. I had learned from a previous outing 2 years ago when i left someone on the 1st Munro doing Beinn a Ghlo. I let them return alone and went on to bag the other 2 whilst having to wait 2 hours for my return.

Sometimes its a hard choice. If the person has little experience you should never leave them but i have been out with friends and have agreed to go seperate ways and meet up afterwards.

Would i let my wife and dog return on their own....no way, i value my life :lol: 8)

Nice hills these...and were never to old to learn :)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun May 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Any chance you can take my ex wife up with you next time :lol:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby DarrenJeffrey » Sun May 13, 2012 9:57 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Any chance you can take my ex wife up with you next time :lol:

Lol :D
DarrenJeffrey
Munro compleatist

Munros:141   Corbetts:10
Fionas:8   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:20   

Postby 2dalmatians » Sun May 13, 2012 10:02 pm

Nice report Jockstar. I guess it all worked out ok in the end. Ruby looked like she was having fun as usual too :)
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Sun May 13, 2012 10:24 pm

Think you are maybe being a wee bit hard on yourself JS. I don't think leaving them was necessarily wrong but you maybe should have just rejoined them at the bealach instead of further down. But nice report anyway :) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby jonny616 » Mon May 14, 2012 7:24 pm

Good report. I'm sure Su will forgive you 8)
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Jock McJock » Mon May 14, 2012 7:45 pm

Nice one Brian, looks like a good day. Wouldn't be too hard on yourself for splitting up and letting Su and Ruby drop off the bhealach. The weather was good and Su has been out with you a lot so I'm sure she knows what she's doing. In different weather, in a different place, it would be a different decision. I enjoyed these two when I done them but got a wee bit lost in the clag on the second one and couldn't find the path off. Made a daft decision to go off the front and ended up in a very daft place. See my report for these two. I'm sure Su and Ruby will forgive you :)

PS. We need to get a wee walk soon!
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby PeteR » Mon May 14, 2012 9:43 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Any chance you can take my ex wife up with you next time :lol:

You could start a business :lol: I could add one of mine too :lol:

But on a more serious note, I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. As others have said, the weather looked good and everything turned out good in the end :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland