walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Not so grey in the Grey Corries

Not so grey in the Grey Corries

by Michael Thomson » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:51 am

Route description: The Grey Corries

Munros included on this walk: Stob Choire Claurigh, Stob Coire an Laoigh

Date walked: 30/04/2012

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Not so grey in the Grey Corries

Postby b-illie » Fri May 04, 2012 3:41 pm

Brilliant photographs - and so much worth the effort using that interval timer; it makes such a difference having a walker in the pic not just scenery.
Missed out on this report - glad you became runner-up! Congrats! :thumbup:
b-illie
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Michael Thomson » Fri May 04, 2012 5:03 pm

Cheers b-illie!
Michael Thomson
Stravaiging

Postby meangarry » Fri May 04, 2012 5:13 pm

Michael, do you not find it a chore walking all the extra back and forth? Surely it must be a drag carrying your tripod around too? I tried to take my own once and found my walking partner got slightly fed up with me footering around all the time. :(
meangarry

Munros:29   Corbetts:19
Fionas:15   Donalds:60
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:23   

Postby Michael Thomson » Mon May 07, 2012 4:45 pm

I don't mind it, I've got it down to a fairly slick operation so it's not really a hassle. I only do it if I'm on my own mind, I wouldn't do it when others are with me, cos it does slow things down a bit. Sometimes it has it's benefits, because I often see a view when I'm heading back to collect the camera that I missed when I was heading the other way!

My tripod is fairly light, so it's no bother to carry it and I see it as a necessary thing; I figure when I'm older and greyer I'll only have knackered knees and a memory that needs jogging, and I'm only likely to look at the photos if they are good enough to put up on the wall.
Michael Thomson
Stravaiging

Postby meangarry » Tue May 15, 2012 12:28 am

Hmm, maybe I'll have to look at getting a lighter tripod and give it a bash on my tod.
meangarry

Munros:29   Corbetts:19
Fionas:15   Donalds:60
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:23   

Postby Michael Thomson » Tue May 15, 2012 10:49 am

have a look at the Velbon V-Pod or the Tamrac Zipshot, both very light and will hold a reasonable weight. If you have a point n shoot they are ideal. I can put a Canon 400d with a 17-35 lens on both and it holds them fine. For bigger lenses I use a Velbon Ultra Maxi F.
Michael Thomson
Stravaiging

16 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland