walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

blabheinn for a wee rest

blabheinn for a wee rest

Postby mrssanta » Wed May 16, 2012 5:24 pm

Route description: Blà Bheinn (Blaven)

Munros included on this walk: Blà Bheinn

Date walked: 10/05/2012

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 7.7 km

Ascent: 935m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

blabheinn.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This was our rest day from our Cuillin Trip so we planned a more gentle day, moving campsites from Glenbrittle to Sligachan, which has the added advantage of the hotel for tea, and a quick walk up Blabheinn where we hoped to get great views of the "other side" of the Cuillin.
I was still high as a kite after the previous day on the IN Pinn and all the excitement, and woke up at 6.30! never mind. we had a leisurely breakfast and packed up our stuff, drove over to Sligachan and pitched our tent there.
Then via Broadford co-op for supplies we drove over to the excellent carpark at Loch Slapin.
we set off shortly after 1pm where the path follows the side of a gorge with bluebells and birch trees and lots of pretty waterfalls.
P5100880.JPG

It's a good path all the way up to Fionna-Choire, and actually goes a little further than you need.
there are also some rare flowers on Blabheinn, the John Muir Trust has an informative board at the car park. this is Moss Campion, which is uncommon in the UK but we saw lots of it.
P5100882.JPG

It had been a fine morning, overcast but with high cloud base, but unfortunately as we walked the clouds came lower and lower.
You turn right up the steep hill just about at the point where this lochan comes into view on the left.
P5100884.JPG

If you get to this rock you have gone too far.
P5100895.JPG

the best path up looks a bit like this
P5100898.JPG

initially a little indistinct but soon improves.
We stopped just under the clouds for our second lunch
P5100885.JPG

sadly the weather got worse and was a bit of a blizzard on the top. So no cup of tea looking over to the Cuillin.
P5100888.JPG

P5100891.JPG

Came down quickly by a slightly different but obvious path a little further to the right going down. it got us there just the same but was not as good as we had to climb down some cliffy bits at the bottom.
P5100893.JPG

P5100897.JPG
violets

P5100903.JPG
nother pretty waterfall

P5100904.JPG
looking back up the hill

so although it was a pity we never saw anything from the top, you can't win 'em all, and we were very glad that we had picked the right day for our "day off"
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: blabheinn for a wee rest

Postby jonny616 » Wed May 16, 2012 5:34 pm

Shame :( I had fantastic views form here on the last WH meet, but then again i was only there a day trip

A great collection of Sky reports. Loved them all 8)
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby mrssanta » Wed May 16, 2012 5:48 pm

one more to go. the walk reports take nearly as long as the walks!!! :lol:
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Postby L-Hiking » Wed May 16, 2012 6:20 pm

You have had a busy week, really enjoyed reading your reports and photos brill :D

I just wish somene had told me i had gone too far when passing that rock :?
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby monarchming » Thu May 17, 2012 10:07 am

Another excellent report mrssanta! I have fond memories of Bla Bheinn as I proposed to mingsmissus at the summit! :lol: It was her first ever Munro and she said yes! :lol: After that she has got into the hills as much as myself.Thanks and well done to a week of great reports! :thumbup:
monarchming
Munro compleatist

Munros:162   

Postby colgregg » Thu May 17, 2012 2:04 pm

I never got views on my visit there and I also got the snow and freezing wind. The most frustrating thing was halfway back to the start point looking back to see the whole of blaven bathed in glorious sunlight.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181

Postby ciderpeter » Thu May 17, 2012 6:14 pm

Getting excited now... :)

Question - is Bla Benn doable by a dog do you think? I am sure I saw someones report where they had a dog up there a while back? I know the main ridge is untouchable for Todd, but wasn't sure about thissun?
ciderpeter
Munro compleatist

Munros:32   
Hewitts:110

Postby ciderpeter » Thu May 17, 2012 6:16 pm

ciderpeter
Munro compleatist

Munros:32   
Hewitts:110

Postby mrssanta » Sat May 19, 2012 2:59 pm

ciderpeter wrote:Getting excited now... :)

Question - is Bla Benn doable by a dog do you think? I am sure I saw someones report where they had a dog up there a while back? I know the main ridge is untouchable for Todd, but wasn't sure about thissun?

I would say doable. quite rocky at the top but nothing tricky. Hope you have a fantastic trip.
colgregg wrote:I never got views on my visit there and I also got the snow and freezing wind. The most frustrating thing was halfway back to the start point looking back to see the whole of blaven bathed in glorious sunlight.

must have been gutting. At least it got worse for us as we went on!
monarchming wrote:Another excellent report mrssanta! I have fond memories of Bla Bheinn as I proposed to mingsmissus at the summit! :lol: It was her first ever Munro and she said yes! :lol: After that she has got into the hills as much as myself.Thanks and well done to a week of great reports! :thumbup:

Ahhh :lol: So romantic!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland