walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Quinag, 1980

Quinag, 1980

Postby GravelInspector » Wed May 16, 2012 9:45 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Quinag - Sàil Gharbh, Quinag - Sàil Ghorm, Quinag - Spidean Coinich

Date walked: 01/08/1980

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 900m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My introduction to mountain walking was on an organised camping trip with Forest School Camps (odd bunch ; nice, public school-y, but decidedly odd).
I didn't really know what I'd let myself in for. After taking an overnight train from London to Lairg, and a couple of hours bus ride into Assynt (Suilven and Canisp looming out of the rain like something monsterous), the bus stopped at a layby on Loch Assynt and started unloading. We were unloading, so we weren't going any further on the road ; the loch didn't look good for walking over, so ... "we're going up there?!"
But it worked out OK, and we camped overnight below the wall of Quinag.
Next day (dates are approximate!), we did Quinag. And I started thinking, "This could be fun."
Route : from camp on mid-level plateau, straight up the side of the ridge ; north peak and out to nose over (sea loch) ; middle peak and out to nose ; most of part returned down to camp while the keen team (self included) did south peak.
First time I've tried this map-drawing thing.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The next day, we walked from the "foot" of Quinag to between Suilven and Canisp.
Did I have a camera with me? I'm sure I did
Do I have digitised photos? No, but I do have a slide scanner.
GravelInspector
Stravaiging

Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   

Re: Quinag, 1980

Postby electricfly » Thu May 17, 2012 1:00 am

Nice one!

Looking forward to reading your next report in 2044! :lol: :lol: :lol:

...sorry, couldn't resist :D
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Re: Quinag, 1980

Postby GravelInspector » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:50 pm

electricfly wrote:Nice one!
Looking forward to reading your next report in 2044! :lol: :lol: :lol:
...sorry, couldn't resist :D

Will try to make it a bit more timely.
I've made a strategic decision to work my way through all my hill-walking history, so that I've got a reasonable chance of covering everything. Part of the stimulus is that I can't actually remember how many Munros I've done, and now that the wife is taking up the boots too, it gets a bit awkward.

[socialhiking]Hmm, what does this do?[/socialhiking]
GravelInspector
Stravaiging

Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland