walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Ghaordaidh and some bluebells

Meall Ghaordaidh and some bluebells

Postby Ranger » Thu May 17, 2012 12:04 am

Route description: Meall Ghaordaidh from Glen Lochay

Munros included on this walk: Meall Ghaordaidh

Date walked: 12/05/2012

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 8.5 km

Ascent: 900m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Meall Ghaordaidh had been my Munro No.24 back on a driech day in 1999, whilst staying with the clan in Fortingall.

Now I was looking for a relatively friendly hill to reintroduce Mrs. Ranger back to the mountains after a couple of years off during which 10 month old Ranger junior had entered the world. He was in the care of my family whilst we had a leisurely day on the hill.

Heading off from Newburgh (fife) after 9am, starting the walk late in the morning, and ambling up and down taking our time, it was a refreshing change from the long, demanding days I'd been accustomed to whilst tackling West Highlands Munros from distant Aberdeen. Relaxing Munros..... :D

P1170615.JPG
Bluebell woods near Comrie on the drive through
P1170619.JPG
Photo friendly Loch Earn
P1170633.JPG
Was on my stomach to get this 'waves crashing' shot!

The weather started fine, with the fluffy white clouds getting plumper and eventually squally showers blowing in from the west. Two ice axes were taken, for ballast as much as anything else :lol: , but the snow was wet and mushy by the time we got up there.

P1170650.JPG
Creag Mhor seen along Glen Lochay from the path
P1170660.JPG
Ben More Stob Binnein
P1170684.JPG
The Easains beyond Stuchd an Lochain

We followed a path up but found it was taking us to far to the right, and I recalled getting a bit lost back in '99, climbing into the mists and traversing too far to the east of the summit, becoming disoriented before heading up the east ridge to the top. No excuse for the same mistake again, we cut across to the left at the rocky steepening to find a more well defined route through the small crags. Views to the Ben Alder, Cairngorms fantastic, the Nevis range concealed in shower clouds this time - maybe one for a third visit :D

P1170690.JPG
Loch Lyon to Bridge of Orchy Munros from the summit
P1170697.JPG
Ben Alder hills beyond Meall Buidhe
P1170709.JPG
Stuchd an Lochain dwarfs Glen Lyon
P1170713.JPG
High tops of the Cairngorms looking strangely close!

Two Feasts from the coop in Killin to round the day off in classic style 8)

P1170730.JPG
Vorlich and Chroin
P1170740.JPG
Shower in front of Ben Challum
P1170743.JPG
Looking up Glen Lochay
Ranger

Munros:282   Corbetts:74
Fionas:13   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Re: Meall Ghaordaidh and some bluebells

Postby electricfly » Thu May 17, 2012 12:53 am

Good to read this report. Was up doing hills to the west, then to the east of here on separate occasions last week. Have got this one earmarked for an evening hike maybe in the next week or so.

Love the pic of the water on the rocks, well worth the discomfort to get. :)
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby Lenore » Thu May 17, 2012 7:53 am

Ooooh the bluebells! Great picture :-)
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Ranger » Thu May 17, 2012 9:07 am

electricfly wrote:Good to read this report. Was up doing hills to the west, then to the east of here on separate occasions last week. Have got this one earmarked for an evening hike maybe in the next week or so.

Love the pic of the water on the rocks, well worth the discomfort to get. :)

Cheers, maybe I shouldnt have given away the secret, I suppose if you think it was taken at chest height the perspective would suggest the wave was 3 foot high :lol:

Save this one for a clear day, as the views are phenomenal :thumbup:

Lenore wrote:Ooooh the bluebells! Great picture :-)

Thanks, for some reason decent bluebell pics have escaped me - I think i've managed one or two in 10 years or so :shock: Slammed on the breaks when I saw them from the road and u-turned to nip back and take a few. Glad I did :)
Ranger

Munros:282   Corbetts:74
Fionas:13   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Postby laconic surf » Thu May 17, 2012 9:19 am

Saturday really was a great day to be on the hills (unlike this saturday, according to early MWIS predictions). Some really fantastic photos, you'll have to enter that "waves crashing" shot in next months photo competition - bound to be up there :D
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby jonny616 » Fri May 18, 2012 4:52 pm

So different from the absaling of big scary rocks in Skye on your recent reports.

Nice change for you & Mrs R to get a day out together 8)
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland