walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Innaccessible Pinnacle with Jonah and Kate Winslett

The Innaccessible Pinnacle with Jonah and Kate Winslett

Postby kevsbald » Fri May 18, 2012 11:24 am

Route description: Sgùrr Dearg and the In Pinn

Munros included on this walk: Inaccessible Pinnacle

Date walked: 16/05/2012

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 7.2 km

Ascent: 970m

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Nail-biting. Hair-raising. Terrifying. What it is to be an Aberdeen fan. However, I digress. I had recently notched up my 200th Munro and yet did not have a single Skye experience to show for it (getting blootered in Elgol doesn't count, does it?) In the days leading up to the Inn Pinn, I had managed to get a few Munros under my belt including Bruach Na Frithe, the Executioner and a great day out over Sgurr nan Eag and Sgurr Dubh Mor. The Cuillin are seriously impressive and make you re-assess mainland 'scrambles'. Would they prepare me for the Inn Pinn though? Many have written far more eloquently on this, notably the great Sorley MacLean. His description of the Cuillin is so apt: "Reaching the blade of Bruach na Frithe, I came in sight of the savageness of the country....hurricane clangour of every blast about the grim savage pinnacles; shaking and quivering of the yelling blast about the battlements of every grey bare-swept summit". Wonderful. What wasn't wonderful was that our forecast for the day ahead was of snow and wind. Hardly ideal conditions for the obelisk. Fortunately, we hired an impressive guide by the name of Jonah Jones.
wh1.jpg
Jonah describes the holds of the Pinn
Jonah is a real character; no-nonsense with some rather terrifying but truthful tales of his experiences in the Cuillin as both a guide and a member of the Skye Mountain Rescue Team. His reassurances reassured all perhaps except Tracy, a lass from London who was only doing her 20th Munro and had been trying to sum up the courage to do the IP for over a year. I wasn't confident she would get over it but she would prove me wrong and I was so glad she did. Jonah set off at a good pace and we 'cracked' the 1st 1000ft in quick time. By 2000ft, we were all building up a good sweat and conditions were favourable, with fine views across to Sgurr Alasdair and its massive scree field.
wh2.jpg
The crew ascend Sgurr Dearg
wh3.jpg
Looking across to Sgurr Alasdair
In fact, I had almost forgotten what I was here to climb until Jonah suddenly uttered 'helmets on'. A shot of adrenaline raced through my veins and my throat became rather dry. I looked all around and everybody seemed quite cool and collected. Would I be the one to freeze? We had some nice scrambling up to the main ridge of Sgurr Dearg, where Jonah reiterated that we should wherever possible, use small footholds and get used to those as we'd experience exactly these little ledges on the Pinn.
IMG_1176.jpg
A little bit of scrambling to warm us up
Yippee! Once at the top, we were confronted by the infamous piece of rock, when at once the summer snow started. This wasn't in the script.
IMG_1178.jpg
Out of the gloom, looms the Pinn
"You four are up first - harness up". The 4 being me, Daz, Scott and Derek. This was it. Right Pollock, keep the head. We carefully made our way down to the base of the Inn Pinn, whereupon Jonah showed us the rope system we would be using. "Keep 5m apart, wait until the line is tight, keep the head down and focus on the rock in front of you." We all nodded. His words reverberated around my frenetic brain, which was firing messages to my common sense centre shouting "What are you doing???" The nerves and apprehension were evident in all.
wh6.jpg
Getting ready for 'it' as the snow falls
As if by magic, Jonah was at the belay point and shouted down to Scott to climb. Next up was Darren, then me followed by Derek. Before I knew it, I was on the Inn Pinn. At first, I had gloves on as the temperature had plummeted but these were cumbersome and I stopped to take them off. The rope pulled stiff and I had to get a move on.
IMG_1180.JPG
Darren and Scott lead the way
The crux move is awkward as you move from the relative safety of the left ledge on to the exposed climb itself. You are climbing a 2 ft spine of rock and you sense the exposure rather than see it, especially in the cloud. However, at the halfway point, I took a look down and could make out the crags and snow below - it seemed far enough for me not to take another look and I gripped the rock tighter than an Aberdonian holds his wallet/sheep. Once Derek was up at the belay point, Jonah made for the summit - to me, it looked like he just walked up the bloody thing and then we were off again. By now, I was pumped but still wired to the moon. The last 10m felt like an eternity but at last, the platform arrived and we clipped into salvation.
IMG_1184.jpg
Helmet fashion faux-pas - swing to the right
From here, it was just the abseil remained. I had a great wee chat in Doric to another guide, Annie. Fit a fine quine. Jonah stoically lowered us all down to safety and congratulations were shared.
IMG_1187.jpg
Derek's one-handed abseil - other holding a fag
For the final 4 of the group, their fun was just beginning. And Jonah maintained his 100% success rate about 45 minutes later. The walk back to the car was relaxed and the contrast in conversations and hilarity, post-Inn Pinn was remarkable. In fact, I felt so happy that when I bumped into a female guide who had just come down off the Pinn, I couldn't help but remark to her how much she looked like Kate Winslett. I got pelters for that one but not everyone can say they went over the Inn Pinn with Jonah and Kate Winslett. I did and it was one of the most memorable experiences of my life.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: The Innaccessible Pinnacle with Jonah and Kate Winslett

Postby laconic surf » Fri May 18, 2012 11:40 am

Fantastic achievement Kev, love the report, could feel the adrenaline surge as I read it. Think I'll be leaving this to late on in my round :D
Well earned whisky after this I should imagine :lol:
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby morag1 » Fri May 18, 2012 11:52 am

Amazing stuff, well done :clap:
morag1

Postby Gavin99 » Fri May 18, 2012 11:59 am

Brilliant Kev , a very good account of your day , I like the way you describe your fears and doubts and then your elation , especially your encounter with the lovely Kate , good stuff !
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:78   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby Jim McK » Fri May 18, 2012 12:20 pm

Excellent report - I think I will be feeling the same way (probably a lot worse actually) when I get round to this!
Jim McK
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:17
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Islands:15

Postby Lenore » Fri May 18, 2012 12:38 pm

Wonderful! The descriptions of Jonah had me laughing a lot. Sure he's just human and not superman / mountain goat? :-D
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Alastair S » Fri May 18, 2012 12:53 pm

Another super report there Kev - and congrats on nailing this one :clap: :clap: :clap:
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby Jock McJock » Fri May 18, 2012 1:01 pm

Cracking read Kev, can't wait to get to Skye and do some of that stuff :D
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby dooterbang » Fri May 18, 2012 2:19 pm

Well done young man, fantastico :)

I'm in the Fisherfields this weekend notching my 200th Munro...i've yet to set foot on a Cuillin top :shock:

The cuillins are exceptional (had a close look when a wee walk up the scree chute from Coire Lagan) and i look forward to tackling them one day.

Nice to know you doubted yourself but pushed on regardless 8)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Paul_Antonia » Fri May 18, 2012 2:51 pm

Great report, and loved the pics too.
Inspiring stuf for those of us yet to tackle this one. We are planning to do "The Pin" as our final Munro so plenty of time yet to prepare ourselves and read some more of these reports. :D
Paul_Antonia
Mountain Walker

Munros:5   
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby jonny616 » Fri May 18, 2012 4:24 pm

Well done Kev. great stuff. Is there any room left on Skye for the locals with all the WH folk that are there :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby monty » Fri May 18, 2012 5:45 pm

Well done kev. Annie enjoyed your wee chat. Good to meet you again if only briefly. :D
monty

Postby kevsbald » Fri May 18, 2012 6:17 pm

Can't believe I never saw you - my attention was elsewhere. Yes, Annie and I had a fine blether awa in the doric, min. Fit fine.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby mrssanta » Fri May 18, 2012 6:42 pm

Good on you Kev. I am almost back down to earth now ten days later after a week back at work. What a feeling!!
Looks like you were unlucky with the weather what a difference in a week.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby ChrisW » Fri May 18, 2012 7:18 pm

Cracking stuff Kev, well done, love the one handed abseil shot and the associated comment :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland