walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Narnain, Beinn Ime and The Cobbler

Beinn Narnain, Beinn Ime and The Cobbler

Postby Gavin Canavan » Sat May 19, 2012 11:54 pm

Route description: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ìme

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme, Beinn Narnain

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 16/05/2012

Time taken: 9.3 hours

Distance: 14.2 km

Ascent: 1612m

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A wonderful day in the Arrochar Alps! (and my first walk report!)

I had been wanting to do this walk for a while now and I’ve recently recruited my younger brother who now has the "bug" for say :lol: , I wasn’t sure about taking him on this one though as he is only thirteen and it’s a long way! He was eager to come however so I gave him the chance.

We left Glasgow at 0815 and arrived in Arrochar at 0915, we parked the car in the Succouth Car Park, paid the fee (£1 for the whole day, bargain!), geared up and had a Lucozade before we set off.

The path leading to Beinn Narnain could easily be mistaken for a burn (we almost missed it), it immediately became very steep and rocky under foot and we started to gain height quickly with some terrific views over loch long and Arrochar.

View down to Arrochar and Loch Long;
IMG_4692.JPG

Some Greenery;
IMG_4684.JPG

We made it over the first false peak where we got our first views of The Cobbler;
IMG_4700.JPG

Stopped for a water break on the Cruach nam Miseag where we got some fantastic views over Loch Long and to Ben Lomond, from here we could finally see the true summit of Beinn Narnain.

Some Photos;
IMG_4703.JPG

IMG_4708.JPG

IMG_4716.JPG

The true summit;
IMG_4731.JPG

A new profile photo for me :lol: ;
IMG_4734.JPG

Enjoyed a mini scramble before we reached the summit where we got our first views of Beinn Ime;
IMG_4752.JPG

Trig point with Ben Lomond in the background;
IMG_4754.JPG

We spent about 30 minutes on the summit where we found a wee spot out of the wind and stopped for lunch and brewed up a wee Bovril! :) Two hail stone showers passed over us while we were there.

The Cobbler from Beinn Narnain;
IMG_4763.JPG

Beinn Ime from Beinn Narnain;
IMG_4767.JPG

We then headed over the back of Beinn Narnain towards Beinn Ime where I think we actually took a wee wrong turn and missed the path, we ended up climbing around a precarious ledge and over some boulders but we got there anyway.

Passed through a wee gate on the Bealach A' Mhaim, got quite boggy;
IMG_4790.JPG

I’m not completely sure how long it took us to reach Beinn Ime’s summit but I think we done it in about two hours, the path was clear most of the way up and when we got there the views were fantastic!

Some photos from the summit of Beinn Ime;
IMG_4796.JPG

IMG_4799.JPG

IMG_4800.JPG

IMG_4802.JPG

IMG_4803.JPG

IMG_4804.JPG

IMG_4809.JPG

IMG_4817.JPG

IMG_4818.JPG

We didn’t stay at the summit long before we headed down again as we still had to tackle The Cobbler, by the time we got there we were pretty tired and were considering leaving it for another day but we charged on anyway and made it to top.

Some photos from the cobbler;
IMG_4860.JPG

IMG_4857.JPG

Us on the needle (a scary endeavour that was :o );
IMG_4848.JPG

We had another food break before we decided to head down through the middle of The Cobbler which took us over a rocky hillside before re-joining the path, we were relieved to reach the path and ease some of the strain on our knees and legs, it felt good! :lol:

It probably took us about an hour and a half to get back to the car and we passed by the Narnian boulders and a wee damn on the way, I'd add some photos but I've reached my 25 attachment limit!

It was a wonderfull day and I was so proud of my younger brother who came the whole way without a grumble, he's a right little soldier! I will have no apprehensions about taking him on future trips!
Gavin Canavan
Munro compleatist

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   

Re: Beinn Narnain, Beinn Ime and The Cobbler

Postby Luke88 » Sun May 20, 2012 3:59 am

Love the 'new Profile pic' !
Luke88
Mountain Walker

Munros:89   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:4   

Postby monarchming » Sun May 20, 2012 7:03 pm

Well done lads and great report and pics as well! :thumbup:
monarchming
Munro compleatist

Munros:162   

Postby Malckyb » Mon May 21, 2012 9:59 pm

Nice report...loved these hills,fab walks and well done for 'threading the needle' on the cobbler. :)
Malckyb
Munro compleatist

Munros:87   Corbetts:6
Fionas:6   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:19   

Postby harfaeirvine » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:48 pm

nice pictures that's a walk the three hills well done.
harfaeirvine
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:2

Postby teaandpies » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:22 pm

How long does it take to get from the Narnain summit to Ime summit?

Good detailed report.
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby camjam666 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:26 pm

A great report there and well done guys, on my to do list even more after the pics
camjam666
Mountaineer

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland