walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Maol Chaluim

Beinn Maol Chaluim

Postby soulminer » Sun May 20, 2012 6:42 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Maol Chaluim

Date walked: 20/05/2012

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another Sunday jaunt, pleasant conditions forecast- what could be better :)
Had spoke to Doogz about our Sunday walk- am I, or Mags in the spare seat ? I have a solution- Mags takes the spare seat, and I will take the Collies :lol: and meet at the layby.
Left slightly earlier,the dogs a touch boisterous in the back- but calmed down after a time. Uneventful journey up to the turn off for Glen Etive. The Buachaille looking resplendant in its new headgear 8)

IMGP0652 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

The Glen looks stunning on the drive down, well till I come across all the 'wreckage' of cars,vans, tents and litter belonging to a multitude of canoeists :( Well I'm sure they appreciated the rousing alarm call of 'Lateralus' by Tool I had turned up just for them :lol:
Arrived at the parking spot to find a team from Tourism Britain filming an advert :lol: Set the Collies on them :lol: That got them moving :) Doogz and the others arrived 20mins later.
Set off up the steep slope on the 'bootprint' path, glad the bracken was only just in first bloom :)

IMGP0653 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0655 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

The going was good, as they say, so we made steady progress as we were herded upwards.

IMGP0656 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

The views were getting better with every step, the clouds moving slowly across the sky. It was warm, with little in the way of a breeze.

IMGP0663 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Didn't bother this pair though :lol:

IMGP0665 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Here's why :lol:

IMGP0672 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

The clouds seemed to be joining up, casting interesting shadows across the Hills and Glens.

IMGP0670 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Posers 8) Etive as the backdrop,

IMGP0675 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

A snow-topped Bidean as this backdrop,

IMGP0680 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

More shadows cast,

IMGP0683 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Six out of the seven, thanks Mags :thumbup:

IMGP0687 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

At a point before the final rise to the summit, Glen caught a scent and followed it. I called him back,but either he did not hear me -or wasn't listening, so had to go find him. He had followed the scent of a sheep, but it was off and he was left stranded, so had to jump down and stick him on the lead. Walked past another sheep with two lambs, on the way back up- with the bleeting lambs sounding like they were mocking the crestfallen clown of a collie.
Reached the summit, and had some well earned refreshment.

Glencoe,

IMGP0688 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0690 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0692 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

After some photos and our refreshment headed back the way we came, with the dogs leaded. No sign of the sheep on the descent, so let them off again- but with a stern warning. On the way down the clouds were staring to break up, and took this one of Doogz under a cotton wool sky :lol:

IMGP0706 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Set off for home having had a great time. The canoeists were swarming all over,not only the river-but the road as well. Nearly hit the car with a paddle, window down and a pointed remark :evil:
pulled in to a busy Green Wellie for petrol, and carried on. After crossing the Erskine Bridge, watched in horror as a car veered across into the lane for Paisley, straight back out again. The driver seemed to have lost total control of the car, as it hit the Central rail and came back across the White Chevrons, into the Paisley lane causing some mayhem. No casualties though, but a very shocked driver with a flat front tyre parked on the side of the on ramp.
Last edited by soulminer on Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soulminer

Re: Beinn Maol Chaluim

Postby doogz » Sun May 20, 2012 7:25 pm

some great shots today dave

didnt you see this just after the canoeists ....

cheerz

doogz 8)
doogz

Postby rockhopper » Sun May 20, 2012 8:44 pm

One of my favourite areas - never tire of photos from here and what a great day :thumbup: Enjoyed reading it - and that was one very lucky driver at the end ! - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby EwaMH » Mon May 21, 2012 10:37 am

Great photos - such a lovely glen! - and the dogs are Gorgeous!! :D
EwaMH

Munros:207   Corbetts:83
Fionas:34   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:16

Postby davetherave » Mon May 21, 2012 11:43 am

What a cracking pair of Collies you have. We have a couple collies also, one beardie and the other a border. We have found them to be great companions for the hills.
We once camped on the summit of Beinnn Maol Chaluim during one of our 2day expeditions. We were not disappointed.
I recall you posted a pic of your two on the A and E ridge, how did they cope?

Great pics,and thanks for the post.

Dave.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby soulminer » Mon May 21, 2012 11:58 am

The Chaos Collies have been on the wee Bookill, and Lawers and Ghlas- don't fancy their chances on the AE Ridge.
Did meet a WH reporter with his Lab on the AE Ridge though, all the way to the end as well- awrite Stevie :thumbup:
Would take them to more hills, but the problem is fences with no gates or dog flaps.
soulminer

Postby 2dalmatians » Tue May 22, 2012 9:50 pm

Another fine report for the dream team! Although beginning to think you are stealing the photos from David bailey or maybe even koo stark!! Lol. I'm sure ruby would love a day out with the pups. They seem just her cup of tea except maybe the bright yellow rave gear!!!
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby soulminer » Tue May 22, 2012 9:57 pm

Far from being pups, been a long time since the drank from a nipple :lol: Glen is 8, and Arran is 7- although they do act as though they are 8,and 7 Months rather than years. Good to get them out and about, that's why we adopted them :thumbup:
As for the Hi-Viz, that's because of my eyesight 8) :lol: :lol: Nothing to do with Lightsticks and Whistles- but I do carry both at times in case I venture across something danceable :shock: :lol:
soulminer

Postby dogplodder » Wed May 23, 2012 10:17 pm

All your pics are great but the one of the collies with Etive as backdrop is stunning! :thumbup:

Funny that, our Rescue dogs are aged 8 and 7 as well. I wouldn't say Glen disgraced himself too badly if he only followed a scent - not like chasing a ewe over the edge or anything! :shock: With 'rescues' you never know what happened in their previous life and what baggage they might have. Our last 4 dogs have been rescues but I would quite like to get a young pup to train up from scratch. Apart from the puddles and poo everywhere and having your house chewed to destruction. :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby soulminer » Thu May 24, 2012 2:38 pm

I'm pulling my hair out with this pair :crazy: I couldn't handle a puppy. Will have to struggle onwith my lot for now :lol:
soulminer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland